Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Late to the party here. You cannot use library e-books on a Kindle. Kindle is amazon format only. You have to have a non-kindle reader for e-pubs etc. which is what the libraries offer.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Late to the party here. You cannot use library e-books on a Kindle. Kindle is amazon format only. You have to have a non-kindle reader for e-pubs etc. which is what the libraries offer.
    I understand there are some third party software that will convert ePub to kindle format - but of course you couldn't do this with library texts. I really do like my Sony Reader. I am sure all of the primary e-readers are good for the purpose - just different strengths and weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I understand there are some third party software that will convert ePub to kindle format - but of course you couldn't do this with library texts. I really do like my Sony Reader. I am sure all of the primary e-readers are good for the purpose - just different strengths and weaknesses.
    Lo, you CAN do it with library texts. There's lots of software out there that will strip the drm off of the various formats, hack them so to speak, you just have to know where to find it and how to use it.

My point is, if you are a library user, a Kindle would be a worthless purchase. Proprietary stuff really pisses me off... if someone wants to be stuck buying books from Amazon, they can be my guest.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Actually, that's changing. Kindle owners will be able to read library books later this year:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....678&highlight=
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Actually, that's changing. Kindle owners will be able to read library books later this year:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....678&highlight=

Better late them never I guess.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    I just got the nook. I looked at both the nook and Kindle, and I liked that I could expand the memory with the nook and also change the battery myself. That was the deciding factor for me. Not as important, I also like having a brick and mortar store in case I have problems (even though I have to travel a bit). Took me about a day to get used to it, but now I love it. You can go to Barnes and Noble and try it out, or you can go to Best Buy and try the nook or the Sony ereader. Fastdogs has the Kindle and she really likes it.
    I take mine with me everywhere I go. I read reviews on all of the ereaders on Amazon and cnet. Cnet is a great resource. Honestly, I think you will be happy either way. Another thing, if I had it to do over again, I would also consider the Sony ereader more seriously. I find that there really isn't a limit on the ebooks out there. I found sourcebooks which has tons of content. This site works for nook, sony and others as well. Not sure about Kindle though.

Oh, and before anyone goes on and on about using the library, please consider that some of us live in rural areas. I exhausted my local library with it's four shelves years ago. I am currently working my way through the Jefferson City library, but traveling 45 miles to return books gets annoying.
    Awe, bummer...
    I don't know about all libraries, but ours has inter-library loan. I can go my closest branch and they can get a book they don't have from any library in the country sent to my local branch. I get the book there, and return the book there. Also, having an account on-line with the local library, I do my searches, holds, re-newals, etc all right from the comfort of my pc at home.

OP...
    I don't own an e-reader. But, I am trying to figure out what kind of adaptive reading device my mother could use. Mom unfortunately has degenerative macular eye disease and lost most of her vision. She was such an avid reader and misses it.

I used to love Borders Bookstore. However, our local store just went out of biz. So glad I don't own their version of an ereader. We have B & N. It's just bit too big for me. Doesn't feel cozy to browse. Something I used to love to do at Borders. I kinda like touching the book lol... I'd hafta figure out how to get used to an ereader... tho many peeps love them.
    Last edited by Miranda; 05-06-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Awe, bummer...
    I don't know about all libraries, but ours has inter-library loan. I can go my closest branch and they can get a book they don't have from any library in the country sent to my local branch. I get the book there, and return the book there. Also, having an account on-line with the local library, I do my searches, holds, re-newals, etc all right from the comfort of my pc at home.

OP...
    I don't own an e-reader. But, I am trying to figure out what kind of adaptive reading device my mother could use. Mom unfortunately has degenerative macular eye disease and lost most of her vision. She was such an avid reader and misses it.

I used to love Borders Bookstore. However, our local store just went out of biz. So glad I don't own their version of an ereader. We have B & N. It's just bit too big for me. Doesn't feel cozy to browse. Something I used to love to do at Borders. I kinda like touching the book lol... I'd hafta figure out how to get used to an ereader... tho many peeps love them.
    Services for the blind has a free service, a player that plays a proprietary format audio tape, in a player suitable for someone with vision degeneration. My sister in law gets audio books this way. I wish I could think of the name of the organization but I am drawing a blank. It's free, also. She has used it living in several different communities.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I have had no interest in an e-reader because I read so many books, and I get them for free from the library. I can't afford to start paying for books, even if it is a little less than buying a hard copy or even paperback version of it. I understand, though, that that is changing and my library now is loaning e-books (for Nook).

I am in two book discussion groups, and I checked last night to see how many of the selected books for this year can be borrowed in e-book format from the library. Out of 10 books that I checked so far, 2 were available. When that ratio improves a little, I will be getting either a Nook or Kindle (if it will read E-Pub format by then) primarily for the note taking feature. I lead both discussion groups, and sometimes we discuss the book months after I have read it, so I need to take notes. Being able to highlight, copy, and annotate the book on the screen I am reading and copy that to refer to later would be so useful. I think I will seriously consider it when even half of the books are available because there are also many books that I would borrow that aren't on my discussion group list.

I anticipate that my Christmas wish list will be for either a Nook or Kindle.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

The company that libraries outsource their e-book management, Overdrive, does have some catalog "quality" issues. What they can get that's either public domain or available in e-format is definitely limited compared to what you can buy. But, it's getting better all the time. For example, they just added the Game of Thrones to the catalog. MY big beef is the two week loan period, with no renewal. Come on, who can read a 700 page book in two weeks, most of the time.

I do want to support the library system though...
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    I anticipate that my Christmas wish list will be for either a Nook or Kindle.
    Note the Sony Reader uses the epub format as its native format - this is a change from the initial offerings and therefore can also access library "loans". There is a library finder in the store for the Sony Reader that makes it easy to find your specific library.

I have hundreds of free ebooks on my Sony, or next to free. I am curious about the Nook since it does color, but I see no reason to spend money on yet another electronic reading device as long as my Sony is working.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-07-2011 at 08:21 AM.

A good reader should handle different formats: epub, pdf, mobi, lit...

ecablire software will do format conversion and device transfer

Good comparison charts:

http://www.wireless-reading-device.n...mparison-chart

http://www.ereadercomparisonhq.com/
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I have the Sony e-reader. I buy some books and borrow books from the library as well as download the free books from Google. Some one at work told me that they just bought a no name e-reader from Walmart just for library books. He said it fairly inexpensive and he likes the quality. He is our IT guy at work so I am pretty sure he wouldn't choose something that is crap. It might be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Services for the blind has a free service, a player that plays a proprietary format audio tape, in a player suitable for someone with vision degeneration. My sister in law gets audio books this way. I wish I could think of the name of the organization but I am drawing a blank. It's free, also. She has used it living in several different communities.
    Thanks for much for that. Kinda thought there was something out there. I got a book on tape once out of default (only format available att). It turned out to be a wonderful thing. For me, I happened to listen to it in my vehicle on errands etc. Only way I was able to finish the book. I think mom would enjoy something like that. Hafta check into that further.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Thanks for much for that. Kinda thought there was something out there. I got a book on tape once out of default (only format available att). It turned out to be a wonderful thing. For me, I happened to listen to it in my vehicle on errands etc. Only way I was able to finish the book. I think mom would enjoy something like that. Hafta check into that further.
    I am going nuts trying to remember the name of the service...

jeez, google is my friend, first entry on "books for the blind"

http://www.loc.gov/nls/
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Late here, too, but I have a Kindle and I love it! Since I live abroad, I don't have easy access to English-language books. Kindle puts them right at my fingertips--just a click away. Love it!