Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: not exactly new

not exactly new

To disable ads, please log-in.

As you can see by post count/join date, I was a member here long ago. I mostly have a road bike for triathlons, although my last one was 4 years ago. I ride my hybrid a lot but have been looking at my road bike gathering dust and decided to take it out. The tires are pumped up, I dusted it off, but for the first time I am feeling intimidated about riding it. It is a Specialized Ruby with Keo pedals and for some reason it is making me nervous. I never felt this way before and in fact only once fell, and that was at a stop light when I unclipped right and tipped left. I have campus pedals on my hybrid and occasionally ride with my spd shoes and took those shoes and pedals on a Backroads trip 2 years ago.

I guess I just need somebody to shove me out the door.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

SHOVE! There you go.

I was in a similar position a few years ago--just very insecure on the bike, especially in traffic. I pedaled out of my comfort zone and found a bike club to ride with. Maybe that would help you? Both with motivation and confidence?

Swapping pedals is easy. Put some cheap flats on until you get your "sea legs" and then you can go back to the Looks. Now get out there!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

start with 1 mile in your local neighborhood where you know the traffic and the streets. Slowly lengthen the ride until you feel sure. It can be done.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I did it. I forced myself out the door and I did it. 6.68 miles on a multi-use trail. Managed not to fall. Although i did hit a small steep up hill at the entrance to the trail in too high of a gear and came damn close to sliding back down. The Looks are a lot harder to pull out of than my campus pedals. Need to remember that. I also forgot my riding gloves, which I realized about a mile and a half into the ride. My elbow and shoulder and complaining to me about that one. I now have the gloves and the shoes sitting on a shelf together so I won't make that mistake a second time.

Thank you for the encouragement
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

Good for you! Glad you made it out.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Brina View Post
    I now have the gloves and the shoes sitting on a shelf together so I won't make that mistake a second time.

Thank you for the encouragement
    Good reminder - and I should put mine by my helmet -as I can usually remember to grab that. We did a ride a fews weeks ago that required 100 miles of driving and I managed to forget my shoes...
    Fortunately was my Surly ECR that has power grip pedals so I could ride with my chaco's and my "urban" merrills
    You will be zooming around in no time
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com