Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

OUCH! Even though my calf was really tight when I got up this morning, I decided to try running anyway as it is a gloriously beautiful day. Bad idea. I decided I'd give it a mile to loosen up, and if it didn't I'd turn around. Well, it was still very tight at one mile, so I turned at the next corner, planning to head home on the parallel street. That muscle didn't like making a turn at all. So I walked home, slowly and carefully. It's painful enough that I drove to the farmer's market instead of biking. And my dog's walk was very slow and short, much to her disappointment.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Oh, skhill, I am so sorry. Being injured sucks

Welcome back to running GLC!!! I just saw this, for some reason I missed it.

Today was the "Go Girl Triatholon" here in Indy - an all-female Tri. There is a duatohlon option that I think I want to shoot for. Run 2 miles, ride 10 miles, run 2 miles. I can ride 10 miles in my sleep - especially the route in question. Running 2 miles twice? That is far more of a challenge as right now I can only run about 500 meters without stopping. It is also on pavement. I've got a LOT of work to do, and I don't have to make my mind up until late spring. Saying it here makes it more 'real', so we will see how my running develops between now and then

Ow skhill, hope your calf feels better soon.

Catrin - sounds like a goal!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Tempo. Sigh. I think about doing some structured stuff but don't. I'm not training for anything at the moment (other than training for getting through the holiday season), so I use that as my excuse.
    And that is why I do the 5Ks...

It's been a little chaotic here ... after two weeks of pushing mileage we went out of town and I managed to run once in six days. I was on my feet most of the time for three of those days and walked probably several miles a day, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Since we've been back home I've struggled a lot with my blood sugar, not really sure why. I had a bad crash before we left - pouring sweat, which for me to sweat MORE than normal is pretty impressive - shaky, lightheaded, the whole business - and it was a good week and a half before I felt right. I did it to myself, basically, but I've done worse things and not crashed so badly, so there's more to it than a little 20 mile bike ride followed by coffee cake for lunch. I got pretty sore after a run earlier this week because I was so depleted. But I seem to be stabilizing, finally.

Ah well. Had a nice 10.5 mile run today. It's still warm but it feels like fall is in the air.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Glad you are starting to feel better, Oakleaf!

It's amazing how much I got done this morning, getting up at the same early hour and not running. Walked the dog, did some yard work, vacuumed the living room, cleaned litterboxes, washed dishes... The calf basically feels fine right now and I'm thinking of giving it a little test with the dog along this evening. We'll see.

I've taken the last 5 days off running. The first day it was because not only was there a HUGE bull blocking my regular running route that I was going to have to deal with, but we got a community email (it's a small town) from someone who was letting us all know that she saw an adult cougar on the trail. I decided to take that day off. The next day we left for the other side of the state for a mini-vacation. The second day we climbed South Sister (Oregon's 3rd highest mountain at 10358 feet. It's a roundtrip about 12.4 miles with about 5000 elevation. It took about 10 hours total and we got stopped by weather at Lewis glacier with about .96 left to go. The next day we took it easy and kayaked. The day after we did a 9 mile cross country, desert/rimrock/canyon hike that took 7 hours. We just got home tonight and I am hitting the hot tub. I am taking the day off tomorrow.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Wow, TrekDianna - that's a hell of a couple of days of activity! I'd be taking the day off too!

I did my 7 mile run as planned on Sunday. It was cloudy and cool, so it was much more enjoyable than I had originally anticipated. My foot didn't bother me at all until about mile 6.5 but it was achy all day yesterday (and was trobbing a little in bed last night). It feels fine today though so I'll be doing 3 miles after work.

Oddly enough, I find that I can run on empty a lot easier than I can bike. I've been putting in a concerted effort to drop some fat, so I'm living in a caloric deficit. It has really impacted my biking and my strength training, but my running seems unaffected. I consider that a good thing since the only event on my horizon is a run event! (Plus, I love running in the fall/winter here). I expect running will become my cardio of choice for the balance of my weight loss efforts (assuming my foot holds out).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I dared to run again today, and it was OK! The calf was tight and a little sore, especially going downhill, but no big deal. I took it easy, just 4 miles, faster than I had intended in the muggy dawn heat. It's tightened up again as I've been sitting and I'll see how it feels this evening. But it's good to be back out there, and I'm glad I've had the patience to let it heal up a bit before testing it out. Also glad I'm not training for a big fall event right now.

Good Morning All!

Skhill- You may have already posted this and I am too lazy right this sec to go back and look. Are you using a foam roller on your calf? If not, it could help.

TrekD- LOVE Bend Oregon. We were there last summer. Best mt biking I have ever done.

So yesterday was long trail run day. It was super duper humid and very gross. That is the official weather report. Made for a tough day. I was a bit slower than I wanted to be, but I did not walk, so that is a good thing. 11 trail miles in 2:06. And then, our group ride was postponed from Wed so we went and did that too. It actually felt good to spin my legs out. I was surprised that I still had any sweat to donate at that point. Today I am tired

Four more weeks to go until our trail race!

I am in Marina, CA (Monterey) for my former exchange student's wedding reception. We flew in yesterday around noon, spent time on Cannery Row and then headed for dinner at his wife's family home. Our hotel is right on the beach... so this morning we got up and ran about 2 miles. Very good way to start the day. Had to walk a bit when we were on a path that was deep sand (ouch). Then went out and had some awesome breakfast enchiladas, followed by another half mile of walking on the beach.
    Just had a deep tissue massage, after having lunch with
    my son and his wife.
    Probably will run again tomorrow before heading back.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Good Morning All!

TrekD- LOVE Bend Oregon. We were there last summer. Best mt biking I have ever done.
    Me too. That's one of the main reasons we bought a house over there and spend our weekends there. I don't think I will ever get tired of those trails -- too many to choose from!
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    Me too. That's one of the main reasons we bought a house over there and spend our weekends there. I don't think I will ever get tired of those trails -- too many to choose from!
    I am pea green with envy. We went to consider it as a place to retire. Loved it, but it is SO far from our friends and family. That was the negative. Phil's Trails...to die for.