Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Descente Wombat Gloves

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just wrote a review of these on my blog. They are highly awesome, and I recommend them to anyone with cold-hand issues!
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

I love these gloves, too, at least down to 40F. Below that my thumbs get very cold. They're great when it's cold in the morning and warmer in the afternoon--Wear the mitten part in the cold, tuck it away when it's warm!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Um....what about at 10F degrees?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Um....what about at 10F degrees?
    I wish someone could figure that one out for me. I've got a huge collection of gloves, but none work in below-freezing temperatures. Even the chemical warmers can't reach my thumbs!

PI Amphib gloves work for me down into the mid-low 20s and my hands are my weak spot temp-wise. I think the lobster version is even warmer.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_8765.html
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Agree w/SK. The Lobster AmFib works for awhile below freezing. However, I have to "team" them w/smartwool glove liners & therma-lux glove liners w/a chemical hand warmer in the latter's "pocket." Inevitably, my thumbs get cold after a time. Wiggling them helps somewhat. If they start to hurt, it's time to surrender and head home.

Last year, I read that someone was developing a cycling glove w/a rechargeable heating unit (along the lines of Sidi toasters for the tootsies). I think they were coming out in '09.

I use chem packs inside of Ibex gloves, combined with a Smartwool liner glove. A pretty good combo for temps as low the high 20s, below which point the tips of my fingers feel the cold no matter how much heat the packs are churning out.......

I've been eyeing these: http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...=Result*R1C1*T

The sizing is large for my relatively small hands, but the price is reasonable and the gloves only require 3 A's rather than a bulky C or D. Kinda hoping my BF/Santa is planning to put a pair of 'em under the tree later this week!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    I wish someone could figure that one out for me. I've got a huge collection of gloves, but none work in below-freezing temperatures. Even the chemical warmers can't reach my thumbs!
    I've been eyeing the Wombats at my LBS (or something similar to them). They look nice. Good to hear they are.

My amfib gloves work great for me for 30's or so. Lobster gloves w/ liners for colder. But this season, I've been using the amfib gloves mostly. For cold thumbs, I pull them out of the thumb on the glove at stops and warm them (somewhat) by making a fist around them at stop lights. Otherwise, not much except to ride faster and wait for it to end.
    Last edited by 7rider; 12-22-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: responding to op
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I think I'm going to pick up a pair of the Wombats. I was in my LBS a few weeks ago just checking things out and gave them a glance. One of the employees came over and started raving about them. I didn't get them because I knew Christmas was coming. Sure enough, I got some full-finger gloves, but they're going back. Mom had ordered the Louis Garneau Wind Tex gloves. I couldn't even get my hand in them, but even when I tried on my brother's I wasn't impressed. Seams all over the place, most notably two along the sides of each finger. I'd imagine that would get annoying, not to mention the seam going across my knuckles. No padding and no grippy material on the fingers. So if I can just figure out what size I need, I'll order a pair of the Wombats.

Gave the Wombats a try yesterday, and I love them! I'd say it was in the low-to-mid 40's and there was a steady breeze since I'm on the water. Hands were perfectly warm, I felt no wind getting through, and I didn't even use the pull-out mitten part. I was concerned there wasn't enough nose-wiping area, and I still wish it were a bit larger, but the balaclava kind of took care of that The only semi-complaint I have is that the thumb doesn't seem to be sized the same as the rest of the fingers. My right thumb especially felt cramped while the rest of my fingers had a bit of room to spare. Just seemed odd, but aside from that I couldn't be happier with the gloves.