Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromebook?

Chromebook?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone use a Chromebook for their main computer? Regrets? Love it? My lovely all-in-one Sony Vaio is dying after 8 years - I COULD resurrect it if the hardware wasn't so specialized that there are no updates possible. Pity - it's still a nice computer but that's life. There are disadvantages to all-in-ones and I didn't consider that when I dropped the money for a very nice one.

My computing needs have greatly changed since then and I like the looks of a couple Chromebooks (especially the Acer C910 Chromebook) - specs aren't bad and I really like the price point. The Chrome Pixel 2 looks great, but I'm not spending $1K.

My only home computer is a Chromebook these days. I have a PC at work but I use the CB for everything else at home. I do all my banking, I applied for jobs, surf the net, handle all my email, watch TV/movies, etc. It does all of that beautifully and with zero boot up time and no viruses so far (two years for me).

Electra Townie 7D

I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop and didn't consider Chromebooks. I am kinda the "go to" informal Windows IT person for my mother and step-dad, so I felt I needed to keep up with Windoze so I can continue to help them when they have problems or questions, plus I wanted to be able to copy all my files from the old to the new laptops.

However, I am interested in the Chromebooks because my mother does only a very limited number of things on her laptop -- mainly just email, web surfing, and printing recipes. All the extra stuff on her Win 8.1 laptop only serves to befuddle her, so I am thinking for her next computer, we should get her a Chromebook as Windows 10 is going to be beyond her, and Apple is beyond her budget. I know she can continue to do email and web surfing on a Chromebook, but what about printing? I assume so, but I'm ignorant. Thanks!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

THEN I walked into Costco and saw the Acer Switch 12 (it's their 2-in-one competition with the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and is several hundred $ cheaper. I WANT IT. Ahem, it is attractive, and Costco tosses in a couple nice bonus items - the optional pen and an SD card. I can't find a decent Chromebook locally to actually put my fingers on it to try - and the more I think about this the more I suspect I may need to stick with Windows but we will see. My current system is very robust, if seriously ailing, and and I am also one of those "windows go-to folks". So I'm considering my options. Regardless I need to replace this 57-pound brick that can't be updated or upgraded and is crashing multiple times a week. I don't want to have to do this again in a year...

I understand printing is certainly possible, but it's wireless. Chromebooks have very few ports - though they do have a USB 3 (at least on the versions I've looked at). A mouse would need to be wireless if you think she needs one.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-09-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    My only home computer is a Chromebook these days. I have a PC at work but I use the CB for everything else at home. I do all my banking, I applied for jobs, surf the net, handle all my email, watch TV/movies, etc. It does all of that beautifully and with zero boot up time and no viruses so far (two years for me).
    Which one do you have? I've noted there is a lot of variability between the models and manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I understand printing is certainly possible, but it's wireless. Chromebooks have very few ports - though they do have a USB 3 (at least on the versions I've looked at). A mouse would need to be wireless if you think she needs one.
    Thanks, Catrin. She definitely needs a mouse and has a wireless one now, so that is no problem. The printer she and my step-father share is on their home network so she's already printing wirelessly. So, at least in theory, it sounds like it might work. But she's used to Mozilla Thunderbird for mail (as I am), and getting an 80+ year old person to change email clients isn't necessarily the easiest thing! Heck, even I wasn't willing to, as I have years and years of emails stored in lots of Thunderbird folders, and I wanted to be able to port them to the new machine. Using Gmail on the web just isn't gonna hack it for me.
    Emily

By the way, the system I just bought is this one. It has a lot of capability for a small price, a touchscreen, 500 Gb HDD, etc. and having used many Windows machines over the years (from my first IBM PC jr,with DOS, through Windows 95, 98, XP, 7, 8.1, and now 10), this is by far the easiest transition ever. I complain about Microsoft at times, but they have really done a fine job with this new O/S, I must say. And I was skeptical, as I am not a big fan of technology change and don't even own a Smartphone!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-L...-Home/47836539

Just throwing it out there as I have just gone through this thought process in the past week when my ASUS Transformerbook T100 (small tablet/laptop hybrid) died and I had to replace it. In two days, I am pretty much 98% back to where I was, just a couple final things to figure out. And I am relearning how to use a full-size keyboard; that's probably been the hardest transition.
    Emily

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I want a 2-in-one convertible regardless of the OS, but I appreciate the link. I'm trying to make up my mind before my elderly 30-inch all-in-one dies completely... what is interesting are the range of options if I raise my price point up just a bit. Am also looking into seeing if I can create a system recovery disk (or 10) & reformat the brick. I may be able to get more life out of it that way and thus put off both decision and expenditure.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-10-2016 at 02:55 AM.

Understood completely, Catrin. My last system was a compact two-in-one, an ASUS Transformerbook T100. I loved that tiny machine, and it was fabulous for traveling (took it to Mexico). Light and handy. I seriously considered getting something similar this time around, but ultimately I grew tired of only having a tiny bit of solid-state storage and having to supplement with microSD cards just to have all my photos where I could quickly access them. And I really wasn't using it as a tablet at all, since I also have an older Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0, which still works fine as an e-reader. That's the only thing I was using the ASUS for in tablet mode, when I only had the one system. I didn't take the Tab to Mexico as we traveled really light. So, now I'm back to a full-size laptop with large HDD and faster processor, and the Galaxy Tab as an e-reader.

My dream machine would be a Microsoft Surface Pro, but I just wasn't willing to spend that kind of money for aesthetics. My new HP meets my needs just fine. It's amazing what $329 can buy these days compared to just a few years ago!
    Emily

Asus Switch 12 is a $700 Surface clone. I'm considering it, and my all-in-one is officially dead....there are a couple other convertible 2 in 1 options I'm considering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk

Mines a Toshiba something or other. Cost about $275, still works like it did when I got it.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Pax! I'm looking at a range of options, especially since a comedy of errors resulted in the total hosing of my desktop today. It is now, literally, a 50 pound brick that's been wiped. I may, or may not go with a chromebook but I am about ready to decide. Pity this old tablet of mine is so slow, or I would just get a little keyboard for it for the time being. I do need access to certain files from work and a few other things that's leading me back to Windows but there are much better options these days at a reasonable price point than there once was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk

So I have now replaced the dead 57 pound Sony Brick with a convertible 2 in one with touchscreen. I did spend more than I had initially planned but I also know me. I've wasted good money on laptops in the past that I just did'n't want to use and it had nothing to do with the price/quality but the form factor/design. So I went with a solid hybrid that isn't too large and works nicely as both a tablet and a laptop. They certainly come a lot more expensive than this one but it fits my needs and it has a full size and nice keyboard. I'm actually adjusting far more quickly to the non-ergonomic keyboard than I thought. It's also interesting that I've already started switching between keyboard and touchscreen keyboard without thinking abut it. So it's not a chromebook, which is a shame, but I know this one will serve my needs. Battery life seems close to what it is advertised although I suspect that would change quickly if I streamed video - but I've a large tv for that. It's the Costco version of the Acer Switch Alpha 12.

Also noted that Costco had the Surface Pro 4 on sale with a bundled keyboard, which didn't interest me but thought I should mention in in case others might be. Technically speaking this is probably a clone, but it has some differences I like and as much as I spent, it's several hundred lower than a comparable Surface.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Catrin, that looks like a really nice system. If I'd had more shopping options, I may well have gone for that one, as the 15.6" screen on my new HP is larger than I need, and the keyboard is HUGE to my hands after being used to my tiny ASUS T100 and being forced to use my Galaxy Tab 2.0 during my computer "outage". I'd bought a tiny little Bluetooth keyboard for that one, as I just can't type more than a few words on an on-screen keyboard.

We are in a pretty rural area, and there just weren't stores nor time for me to find the "perfect" system for my needs. I was pretty much limited to Walmart. I bought the best system I could find, given that. But I do like your choice very much, and the size sounds like it would have been a better fit for me - and the 128 Gb storage more reasonable. I doubt I'll ever have the need for my full 500 Gb hard drive...LOL! But I'm happy with my system and hope you'll be very happy with yours!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    ...128 Gb storage more reasonable. I doubt I'll ever have the need for my full 500 Gb hard drive...LOL! But I'm happy with my system and hope you'll be very happy with yours!
    My friend the systems admin always tells me I should seek out more storage, I just laugh at her. I have an 8gb phone and never come close to reaching my limit... and my chromebook is the same in terms of my storage use. I'm an under-user I guess.

Electra Townie 7D