Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flying with Claire? Worth the hassle?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've lurked for awhile but never been super active on TE. I'm a regular on another forum, and have trouble finding where I fit in here.

That said, I'm in a quandry. Next Friday I fly to the midwest to see the in-laws. I will be there for 3 whole days, plus 2 travel days. I looked into renting a road bike, but there are no lbs that rent road bikes. (What sort of hell am I flying myself into? )

My airline will charge me $20 to fly Claire in a box each way. Money is not an issue. I'm mostly concerned with hassle and damage. If the hassle of flying with Claire is not worth the potential 3 days of riding I will get, I'll leave her home. Likewise with the potential for damage.

The draw: Cycling, like skiing, is my drug. I've been ill for a few weeks, and not been on Claire much. I have the itch BAD right now. So, I could attempt to ride mid-week a bit to try and quell the thirst, but this idea has taken root in my brain, and you know the rest.

Plus, I live at altitude, and I'm kinda interested how being at relative sea level will change my mph average, or anything else I may feel.

If you've flown with your bike, do you think it would be worth it for a 3 day trip? It's to visit my in-laws, so it would give my DH time to visit with his parents, and give me necessary alone time. Thoughts?
    “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” ~ Coco Chanel

If it were me, for three days I'd pass. I've always shipped my bike, never tried to schlep it through an airport, but I have dealt with large suitcases in airports before (smaller than a bike box), and I do schlep my bike to and from FedEx, and I can't ever imagine combining those two hassles.

Bring your running shoes, hiking boots, swimsuit - if you play soccer or basketball bring your shoes and troll the 'net for a pickup game ahead of time - whatever other cardio you do. That's my take.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I agree that for three days, it's totally not worth the hassle. The first time I boxed my bike it took all afternoon. Putting it back together was another afternoon. Not worth it for only 2 or 3 rides. Take some hiking boots or get a guest pass at a pool.

What I want to know is, what airline is only charging $20 for a bike???

I think the other issue to consider is your in-laws. I'm not sure how frequently you see them, but I can imagine some hurt feelings if you went out on your own for a ride. I'm not saying such a reaction is altogether fair, but if you're both going "home" for a visit, they arguably want to spend time with both their son and you. It's an area where I'd tread lightly. Still, I think it's fine to go a for a short walk or run, especially if you can fit it in early or late in the day.

Obviously, I know nothing about your relationship with your in-laws. I'm mostly looking at it from my own vantage point as a DIL. Like you, I look for ways to spend some alone time without the in-laws during our visits to my husband's home, but sometimes I have to temper that desire for the good of the order.

All that aside, I agree that it sounds like a lot of hassle for just a three-day trip.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the in-laws mind. We spoke to them about it last night, but it is worth another look at it. Thank you for bringing that up.

I like my in-laws, but they are sedentary people. DH and I have evolved a lot since we moved from the mid-west to CO.

Frontier is the airline. As a 1st or 2nd checked bag, the oversize luggage fees do not apply. Overweight fees would, however if the thing was over 50 lbs.

Also, I know that on Southwest bikes fly free as your 1st or 2nd bag. Skis too.

I plan on visiting my lbs today to see what they think of the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongidget View Post
    I like my in-laws, but they are sedentary people. DH and I have evolved a lot since we moved from the mid-west to CO.
    I can relate. Totally.

If I may ask, what part of the Midwest will you be visiting?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

[ hijack ] Indy, I have to hand it to you, you continuously give such reasoned well-thought out advice. I'm beginning to envision you as our Lucy van Pelt, sitting behind the little lemonade stand with "The Doctor is In" sign. [ /hijack ]

My half-cent: that sounds like an big hassle for three days. What if the weather is awful? (Though, from what you've been saying, I imagine awful weather wouldn't phase you.)

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    [ hijack ] Indy, I have to hand it to you, you continuously give such reasoned well-thought out advice. I'm beginning to envision you as our Lucy van Pelt, sitting behind the little lemonade stand with "The Doctor is In" sign. [ /hijack ]

My half-cent: that sounds like an big hassle for three days. What if the weather is awful? (Though, from what you've been saying, I imagine awful weather wouldn't phase you.)
    That is an extremely kind thing to say, Jo. Thank you. I guess my ten years of therapy are paying off!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Sioux Falls, SD. They apparently have a well developed bike trail system, bike lanes on the road, and a new mtn bike park, so they must have cyclists there using these facilities.

We've put off this visit for ages since neither DH nor I want to revist the flatland/iceberg lettuce is a salad/bud light is beer/exercise huh? midwest where we grew up. So sad. We've developed into Boulderites, and now we can't function outside of our state. Very sad indeed.

I just flew with my bike on Frontier too. Very hassle-free check in and claim, but agree that the hassle for three days, plus risk of damage is too great for three days. Usually, the seatpost and handlebars need to be removed, so getting those back to perfect could be an issue, and it takes a few hours to pad all the surfaces to make sure nothing gets damaged in shipping. I would count on long walks, or maybe see if there's a local gym that would let you hop on an exercise bike.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Usually, the seatpost and handlebars need to be removed, so getting those back to perfect could be an issue
    Not if you mark them (some seatposts and handlebars come from the factory stamped or painted with markings you can sight on, so all you have to do is write down your settings and either record them in your phone or stow the paper in the box with your bike). Bit of electrical tape around the seatpost to mark the seat height - a tiny dab with an appropriate color Sharpie on either side of the gap in the handlebar clamp - same thing on the seatpost if getting it centered is an issue - and it's zip zam zoom and nothing you'll ever see once everything's assembled.

Disassembling/packing/reassembling a bike is something that definitely gets quicker with practice, but yeah, it still takes me a couple of hours to get everything packed and padded. Reassembly, OTOH, takes maybe 20 minutes or half an hour - I've done it in the FedEx parking lot.

I took all of your reservations to heart, and went down to my lbs and asked them to be honest with me. Was I reaching, crazy, or is it feasible?

LBS said a cardboard box from them would require more taking apart of the bike, but why don't I consider renting or borrowing a tri box. They have wheels and require less disassembly. Sweet, had not even thought of that.

Renting a box will run me $75 for a full week. If I can find one, borrowing will cost me a case of beer maybe.

How does the hassle factor run now? Am I still crazy or is this doable?

FWIW, I own a Thule hard case, so my comments related to that. I've never used a cardboard box for shipping. It does have little wheels, but they don't rotate, so the box can only be rolled with the wide side facing the direction of travel, which means you still have to shove, carry or drag it through narrow spaces, and it has to be lined up exactly right to roll it through a door.

Can't speak to other brands. Basically, a hard case adds some security against damage and some convenience with the wheels, but it adds weight (my box is over 30# empty). I'd have to count grams to be sure of getting my carbon bike and all its packaging in under 50#. Since I always ship FedEx, I don't sweat the weight - instead, I include my seat pack (minus the CO2 cartridges that can't travel by air) and water bottles, my pedals that aren't counted in the bike's weight spec, my cycling shoes, and usually some clothes and stuff to fill in empty space and add extra padding, and it normally comes to around 60#.

Remember that you'll need to get your helmet there too, and you'll need to bring it without damaging it, which means either in its original packaging with plenty of padding of its own inside a checked bag, or in your carry-on luggage. There's no room to ship a helmet safely in my bike box, but other brands may provide for that.

It's your call how hard you'll be jonesing for a ride, but personally I'd leave mine home. Maybe you could even rent cruisers and take the whole family for a spin on the bike path.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's your call how hard you'll be jonesing for a ride, but personally I'd leave mine home. Maybe you could even rent cruisers and take the whole family for a spin on the bike path.
    Now, there's that sedentary thing in the way again. We have been told they will not be joining us on any ride we may happen to go on.

But thanks for your feedback. I do really appreciate all of the input.

the flatland/iceberg lettuce is a salad/bud light is beer/exercise huh? midwest

Hey, I'm living that dream! LOL I can totally relate to that remark. I have been told that I would fit in very well in Boulder! I would not bother with your bike for such a short time. Do some speed walking or hiking for those days and save yourself the hassle. For a non adventure, I would not risk my bike's safety.
    Touring this great country, one State at a time! Michigan Summer 2013.