Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cyclocross question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, I really should not ask this question, but I am

I have been reading up on Cyclocross - I get that it is:

1. a race
    2. off road (on/off road track/prepared dirt track)
    3. hike bike over obstacles

Does this pretty much cover it? Just trying to work out the differences in my head between this and mountain biking (it sounds like it could be fun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGnM_1ViZA

Sort of...not necessarily "prepared" track other than some tape to mark out where you're supposed to go. Different kinds of terrain, the more the better; hills, gulleys, offcamber turns, mud - in the heat, snow, rain or sleet.

I just got my Bicycling Magazine in the mail yesterday. Bikesnob wrote this article, and I love this description "Obviously, if you're going to try cyclocross, you should first know what it is. Unfortunately, "What is cyclocross?" is one of the most tedious questions in cycling, right alongside "Aren't all pro cyclists on drugs?" and "Why isn't the guy who just won the stage also winning the entire Tour de France?" None of these questions has a simple answer, so when it comes to cyclocross I find it far more effective to explain what it feels like rather than what it actually is--and what it feels like is being dropped from a helicopter into the Florida Everglades with your bicycle on your shoulder. You have 45 minutes to escape before the gators eat you alive, and for some reason, even though you're in the Sunshine State, it's 37 degrees and sleeting."

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...s-or-not-cross
    Last edited by JennK13; 09-15-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: I knew I would find the article!!
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Since you are close to Chicago...

http://vimeo.com/9952653

Here's another great blooper reel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dyFeLarkJ4

This is probably a more accurate depiction of what you would find at a local race:
    http://vimeo.com/7636573

I can't wait to do it next year! This year I don't yet have a bike and my ankle I sprained back in June is still not great...I am certain that 'cross would risk re-spraining at this point.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I describe cyclorcross to people as steeple chase on a bicycle. New UCI rules are changing courses so that less time is spent off the bike, but there are still some old school courses with giant run-ups and obstacles - man-made or naturally occuring.

To me, cyclocross is the most fun you can possibly have on a bike, but it also takes some pretty good fitness! I've also been known to compare the effort to a TT - all on for 30 or 40 mins.

Go watch a race - you'll want to try it, and then you too will become addicted .

And Zoom-Zoom - good call on the ankle. Last year I badly sprained mine in May. Unfortunately, in a cross race in Early October, I ended up avulsively fracturing that ankle when I didn't quite make a sharp incline with a turn at the top. I finished that race (not sure how - adrenaline maybe), but was then forced not to race for 4 weeks.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    And Zoom-Zoom - good call on the ankle. Last year I badly sprained mine in May. Unfortunately, in a cross race in Early October, I ended up avulsively fracturing that ankle when I didn't quite make a sharp incline with a turn at the top. I finished that race (not sure how - adrenaline maybe), but was then forced not to race for 4 weeks.

SheFly
    Oh, that stinks! I gave myself a 2nd degree sprain early on in a trail relay. I still had 9.9 miles to go AFTER the sprain...and I did it. After my first leg my teammates were sort of horrified and impressed that I was still able to get around, but I kept my shoe on. Had I taken it off there is no way that I would have been able to get it back on. But all that running on it after the fact probably about doubled my healing time. In hindsight I wouldn't have kept going had I known how miserably long it would take to heal.

At this point I can run pretty well on flat pavement, but grass and the gravel shoulder are uncomfortable and make me nervous, so I would definitely not be ready for 'cross this year, even with a bike. I just hope I will be up for that trail race again, next June. If I were to sprain it again during a trail race I would be calling it quits on running off-road for the foreseeable future.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Great videos and descriptions - thanks! Someday I would like to give both cross and mountain biking a try - but since I've only been riding on actual roads for 5 months now with only 1,500 miles behind me - focusing on long distance riding and endurance is the best for me.

Both cross and mountain biking look like just a blast and am looking forward to eventually being able to check them out I will keep my eyes out this fall for a local cyclocross event to watch

Zoom-Zoom - I hope the ankle finishes healing so you can do your trail race next year! I have had major foot reconstructive surgery and it just takes a long time for our ankles and feet to heal properly.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-16-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Zoom-Zoom - I hope the ankle finishes healing so you can do your trail race next year! I have had major foot reconstructive surgery and it just takes a long time for our ankles and feet to heal properly.
    Yeah, I always cringe when I hear the phrase "just a sprain." Minimizing the severity of sprains is what makes people like me do dumb things like run nearly 10 miles on them. I think I would have rather suffered a break--6-8 weeks to heal in a cast or boot, then more-or-less good as new.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Oooo, I found a local Cyclocross race in two weeks that I will go spectate at

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Oooo, I found a local Cyclocross race in two weeks that I will go spectate at
    Bring a cowbell!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Bring a cowbell!
    It is next weekend - and if I have time to find a cowbell I certainly will!

Just did my first cyclocross race today and it was AWESOME! It was so ridiculously painful and hard and muddy and fun and I can't wait to do it again.