Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: July Running

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Holy cow, jess!!! Nice mountain run!!

Ran a little at 10,000 ft while in Leadville last week. It averaged at about 15 min/mi which is not fast, but considering I'm a flat-lander who runs at 1,000 ft- I'll take it.
    I have always wanted to do Pike's Peak ascent, but I don't know that I can ever really train for it at sea level like I would need to. The hike up Mt. Elbert nearly killed me, and that was a slow 40 min/mi pace. Maybe when I retire I can live at elevation for a month and prepare for Pike's Peak. Until then, this flatlander is never going to have mountain lungs!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I'm still plugging along here, I did W5D2 this morning. It was nice about 63 degrees. Just ordered some new running clothes - Sierra Tradinig Post has a sale(yes, another sale). So impressed by all you girls!!!
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Ran 6.5 yesterday.
    2 this morning.

Yay for running!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Finished my 5 day stretch (yes, I know most people work 5 days in a row, but as a NP my days/shifts are 10 hours). Did get up yesterday and run 4 miles with 8 X1 min "fartleks" or at least my version of "speed work". Spent the rest of the day with appts or meetings (yes, meeting at work on day off...that sucks!).

Had to get up before 5 to send honey off to airport so then I was planning on doing hill repeats....but I find my self sitting on the couch watching the Olympics. I just can't go run. I think it is because the rest of my day is ALSO full of appts or errands and I just want some down-time. I don't want to do ANYTHING this AM. (Sorry if I sound whiney!)

2 weeks out from the Peak. So I HAVE to spend time on treadmill and do incline work this afternoon/evening.

K

(Hope I did not offend anyone, I know many work longer than 8 hour days and/or more hours than I do. Just a 5 day stretch is LONG for me!)
    Last edited by katluvr; 08-01-2012 at 05:33 AM.
    katluvr

half

Half marathon next weekend..Heading into it, i'm feeling confident about shaving the few minutes off the last one. I've been working on my running technique, food prep & focus....Weeeeeehar!

I'm also pondering making 10k events my pet one...i'd love to be able to shave a minute or so off in order to be 10th in my age group...Can I dooo it...keep watching.

50min for the last 10km event, next one in September..aim is 49min.

Starting W6D1 tomorrow. Saw my orthopedic surgeon(I had a bad ankle fracture - tri-meollar with dislocation 12/10) today, she is excited with my running - good news I don't have to see her again(except at work).
    2006 Trek 7100

I want to run. I really do. I have zero motivation. Every day it's been over 110F for going on a week now (and it's even in the 90's at 5 am). Ugh... I need to find my mojo. FAST! Before I lose all my running fitness (and I even have a treadmill in my living room, but I'm STILL not motivated).

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I hear ya there. That's way too hot. Even here, the evenings are cooling off - but it's due to storms rolling in, so I'm dealing with more humidity than I'm used to.

Did about 5-6 on the trail Tuesday and a speed workout yesterday. Felt harder than normal - don't know how I'm going to do 26.2.

I can't wait until my feet look normal again, too (which will be awhile, judging by the purple under my nail polish).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Just under 12 today. Felt awful. Tendonitis is kicking in and I was tired. Besides wanting my non-monster feet back, I also can't wait to not have constant chub-rub rash. I have given up on finding shorts that neither rub nor ride up...can't wait to run in capris or tights again.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Just under 12 today. Felt awful. Tendonitis is kicking in and I was tired. Besides wanting my non-monster feet back, I also can't wait to not have constant chub-rub rash. I have given up on finding shorts that neither rub nor ride up...can't wait to run in capris or tights again.
    Sorry it was so hard out there today. Glad you did it, tho!

I have resorted to running with compression shorts under my running shorts now because of the major chub-rub of summer. I mean, I *could* lose 40 lbs and lose the problem creator, but that's just not going to happen. sigh...

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I have resorted to running with compression shorts under my running shorts now because of the major chub-rub of summer. I mean, I *could* lose 40 lbs and lose the problem creator, but that's just not going to happen. sigh...
    Unless they're knee-length (too hot!) or have grippers on them, compression shorts ride up on me too. Running in the Brooks 2-in-1 shorts now (with compression short liner with grippers) and the fabric rubs (but otherwise - WOW are they awesome shorts). And I'm pretty sure even if I managed to lose weight, that spot is still going to be chunky

I don't understand the mechanics of it - if I run in tights, they slide down, because the stretchy fabric wants to slide to the skinnier part of my leg. Why do the legs on stretchy shorts ride UP to the fat part?

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I don't understand the mechanics of it - if I run in tights, they slide down, because the stretchy fabric wants to slide to the skinnier part of my leg. Why do the legs on stretchy shorts ride UP to the fat part?
    That's a good question! I don't know why that is...

I'm going to check out those Brooks 2-in-1 shorts. The compression shorts I wear under my running shorts are actually a pair of Sugoi tri shorts that I removed the chamois from- they are short enough to not be too long and hot, but long enough that my thighs don't argue and wrastle (and they have leg grippers- which I have to have, too).

Stupid thighs. I enjoyed one summer of chub-rub free running the year I starved myself to make my WW goal and be at my "ideal" weight. It didn't last long (obviously), and so I'm forever cursed with the battle of the dueling thighs.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

YIPPIPEEEEEE!!!!!! Today I jogged 20 minutes without stopping - finished W6D3 today. I've been wearing some compression shorts under my regular shorts. I did buy some Champion C9 2 in 1 shorts - I haven't worn them yet - they're a little shorter than I like.
    2006 Trek 7100

Great job surgtech!!!! SO excited that you're ramping up without a hitch!!

I did 8 miles today. It wasn't pretty. Just hot and humid. And hot. With a little hot thrown in. Surprisingly it was cloudy for a bit of the run, but the heart rate just wouldn't cooperate, so I had to walk. A LOT. Averaged 15 min/miles.
    I'm definitely not doing the 50K I had planned on next month. I've got a 24 hour race in late October, and a 48 hour race in mid-November, so I'm just going to run once or twice a week until it cools down and then ramp it up when evening lows start dropping below 75.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)