Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started riding when I was 49, I've done some centuries and triathlons, looking to do a half ironman this coming summer. love mountain biking also. Even better I've integrated it into my everyday life and do most of my grocery shopping on my commuter bike.

janine

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    I started riding when I was 49, I've done some centuries and triathlons, looking to do a half ironman this coming summer. love mountain biking also. Even better I've integrated it into my everyday life and do most of my grocery shopping on my commuter bike.

janine
    Good for you, Janine! I'm always inspired when I see women here who started riding relatively late in life. Just shows that it's never to late to change your life for the better. Welcome!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm relatively new to running, and so far my times are continuing to drop as I gain race experience. But at 52, the day can't be far off when I start slowing down. I'm going to need a new sport ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I'm 50, and I just competed in a mountain Bike race in November!
    Wooot! I am 52 and just learned how to mountain bike this year

(then came the fall that aggravated the neck arthritis that took me off the mountain bike until next year, but it is a wonderful start :-)

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post

janine
    Yeah!!!!!!!!! Happy to hear from you! I just got a mt bike for mother's day! Love it (: (I am 50....................)

I started riding at 47. Despite the fact that I had been active for years (inside), once I started riding, it opened up a whole lot of other activities that now consume my life. I really wish I hadn't wasted 20 years holing up in a gym.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I started riding and losing weight at 56. I'll be 57 in three weeks and am the healthiest and in the best shape I've been in for years. Late, but better than never.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by tealtreak View Post
    awesome! Where/when was it? I am getting the bug, but exterra (which is here) is out of my technical ability (strictly xc at this point)

Iceman cometh challenge-Kalkasa to Traverse City MI

Not all who wander are lost

It make me happy to see so many saying the mtb! I'm 51, and I have to say that sometimes I feel a bit self-conscious gearing to ride in a parking lot full of much younger people. I always hope they are not thinking what is the old lady doing here?
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post
    It make me happy to see so many saying the mtb! I'm 51, and I have to say that sometimes I feel a bit self-conscious gearing to ride in a parking lot full of much younger people. I always hope they are not thinking what is the old lady doing here?
    I'm 70. I gave up my car 8 years ago to go GREEN and I've never missed it.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Oh my, I now qualify for this thread -- I'm 51. But I'm one of the youngsters in my bike club -- the folks over 60 are the ones who put in the most miles. One is almost at 10,000 miles for the year, another (who's over 70) is closing in on 5000 miles despite a major injury last spring.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Oh my, I now qualify for this thread -- I'm 51. But I'm one of the youngsters in my bike club -- the folks over 60 are the ones who put in the most miles. One is almost at 10,000 miles for the year, another (who's over 70) is closing in on 5000 miles despite a major injury last spring.
    Yep, when this thread started I didn't qualify either -- now I'm 54, will be 55 in April, so it's been going on for awhile! Retirees in good health have more time to ride, so it makes sense that the older members of your bike club are putting in the serious miles. Since I'm in Mexico, this has been a very low-mileage year for me, but last year was 7500 miles, my biggest year ever. Not sure I'll ever manage that again as it took a serious obsession and neglecting other activities I also enjoy, but I'm hoping on a much better cycling year next year than this!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Happy belated birthday, Murienn.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

What a nice walk down memory lane! I'm 52 now and it's gratifying to think how far I've come since this thread started. I was just thinking the other day that the crash had knocked me back to square one, cycling wise, but maybe not.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    What a nice walk down memory lane! I'm 52 now and it's gratifying to think how far I've come since this thread started. I was just thinking the other day that the crash had knocked me back to square one, cycling wise, but maybe not.
    Physically you might have catching up to do, but the skills and lessons learned are still there.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles