Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which is the right way to use these pedals?

To disable ads, please log-in.

These are the same model pedals, the purple ones are an older version with a resin (?) shank. But the shape of the pedals is identical.

See the little teeth? The metal shanked ones have only one tooth in the middle, while the purple ones have two teeth. Which way should the foot rest on these? Teeth up, and long side of the pedals towards the front of the bike, or teeth down, and the narrow side of the pedals towards the front of the bike?

And what exactly are the teeth for, anyway?

Inquiring minds want to know
    "A bicycle does get you there and more. And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun."

Um. I think the right way to use the pedals is whichever way your foot happens to go down on this after the stop light

Aren't the teeth just for traction on the sole of your shoe?

I'm curious because the pedal is shaped differently on either side so it makes me wonder if you're supposed to place your feet on it a certain way so it can support the foot properly. Also, if the teeth are for better traction on your shoe, why aren't they on both sides of the pedal?
    "A bicycle does get you there and more. And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun."

http://bicycling.about.com/od/allabo...e_pedals_3.htm

Looks like toe clips screw into the holes on the side of the pedal on the "short side". The tab goes to the back, at the bottom side of the pedal.

Maybe it helps with kicking the pedal over to slide your foot into the cage?

Paging DebW!

Also maybe Oakleaf or Smilingcat?
    Last edited by VeloVT; 04-23-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks for that link! it does appear that the smaller side of the pedal is supposed to be forward, with the teeth downward.

These are my pedals. And I have been riding with the teeth upwards since I got the bike. I too figured they were to help keep your shoe on the pedal. I've also been working out some numbness issues in my feet. Since I raised my saddle, it hasn't been as bad, but still there on occasion. Today I was riding and for some reason, I had the thought that maybe having the teeth pushing up into my feet as I pedaled was part of the issue. So I flipped the pedals over and at first it felt really weird because there wasn't that pressure there but after a while I got used to it...and, lo and behold, I wasn't having any of that tingling sensation I'd been getting in my feet. So, it got me to thinking that perhaps I'd been using my pedals the wrong way. When the teeth are up and forward, it seems like a lot of my weight is on the smaller section of the pedal, and I wonder if my foot was flexing over the edges of the pedal, combined with the upwards pressure from the teeth on my foot...maybe that is part of the issue.

So, that's why I asked this. I know it seems like using a platform pedal should be obvious, but I wonder now if it really is, especially for pedals that are not exactly the same on all sides.
    Last edited by Heifzilla; 04-23-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Those loops sticking up look like attachment gizmos to me, not like traction teeth. I wouldn't think you're supposed to put your foot on those things that stick so far up. I agree, must be cage attachments or something. Put your foot on the 'flat' side that only has the 'regular' smaller teeth.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The tabs are to flip the pedal over with your toe as you slide into the toe clips. Toe clips always weight the pedal so it ends up upside down. The side you have up in the right hand picture is the bottom of the pedal. Actually unusual to have two off-center tabs like that right set. The tab on the inside of the pedal is to direct the toe strap upward around your foot. Otherwise the strap (at least when your foot is not in it) will catch the crank arm and prevent the pedal from swinging freely.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I feel really stupid, but hey, at least I asked

Live and learn, eh? I wonder, though, how many people have been using their platform pedals incorrectly and how much of their foot numbness is caused by it.

Thanks for your replies

Typically the spindle is offset on that type of pedal, so if you use it right side up your foot doesn't press hard on the center of the pedal, or the center area around the spindle is flattened for comfort. The other side often has the spindle area bulging up. If they made the pedal symmetrical you'd be more likely to catch it on the ground leaning into a turn.

Oh, and those pedals are not actually platform pedals. They are quill pedals. Platform pedals look like this and are used by cycle tourists with non-cleated shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Oh, and those pedals are not actually platform pedals. They are quill pedals. Platform pedals look like this and are used by cycle tourists with non-cleated shoes.
    Quill pedals? I've never heard that term. I am really learning a lot on this forum, and that's great.

Seriously, thanks for taking time to answer questions like this. It's one of the things I really like about this forum. At some point I might even be able to discuss this stuff in public without looking like an idiot

wouldn't they be marked R and L?

We call the ones pictured in this thread "bear traps" because of how they chew up your shins.

This is also called a platfrom pedal, AKA flats:
    Last edited by Irulan; 04-24-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    wouldn't they be marked R and L?
    They are usually marked L and R, but in any case can only be installed one way since the left pedal has left threads and the right pedal has right threads.

We call the ones pictured in this thread "bear traps" because of how they chew up your shins.
    Rat trap pedals is another name. Bear trap must refer to the leg-hold type animal traps? Rat traps look like mouse traps, so that analogy is not as obvious.

This is also called a platfrom pedal, AKA flats:
    Yes, any pedal that supports much of your foot and can be used comfortably with a soft-soled shoe. The ones you picture are also called BMX pedals, as they have small studs to keep your feet stable doing BMX jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Yes, any pedal that supports much of your foot and can be used comfortably with a soft-soled shoe. The ones you picture are also called BMX pedals, as they have small studs to keep your feet stable doing BMX jumps.
    The quill pedals...are they supposed to be good with a soft-soled shoe? They don't seem to be as large as those BMX pedals. I usually ride in gym shoes, but I did just order Keen Commuters.

well, they call them bear traps around here and we call flat pedals of any sort: "flats" whether you've got on them on a downhill, freeride, XC,commuter, DH, DS or BMX bike.