Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ack, broke my right wrist!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Too bad I'm right-handed! Orthopedic doc appt tomorrow...will find out if I need surgery. Hopefully no. I'm already bored. Typing is hard one-handed. Mouse tricky to use left-handed.

But I still had a great day...probably my best on a mtn bike before a truly silly non-technical, loose turn took me out. At least I did this as Winter approaches.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Re: ack, broke my right wrist!

Hmmm, your attitude is amazing! I'd be all crying in my spilled milk.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Heal up quick! At least the rest of the ride was good.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Oh Kirsten, sooooo sorry to hear! Hope it doesn't hurt too much. As always you're taking it like the champ you are.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Bummer Zoom Zoom. But it's lots of fun to see the look on people's faces when they assume that you probably tripped over a curb and you get to tell them that you broke it mountain biking. People think you're really tough then

Heal fast. The first few weeks are the hardest. It starts getting easier after that.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Bummer Zoom Zoom. But it's lots of fun to see the look on people's faces when they assume that you probably tripped over a curb and you get to tell them that you broke it mountain biking. People think you're really tough then
    They asked in the ER how I broke it, then asked if I was in good physical health...hello!!!

My biggest worry is that this will make me gunshy. I've always felt sorta bombproof--lotsa falls and lotsa bruises and scrapes, but nothing serious. I don't always bounce, i guess.

Thanks, ladies. I may be mentally less ok with this if i cant at least run in a couple of weeks. i may join the little 24/7 gym to walk on the treadmill (to avoid icy roads) or ride the recumbent stationary bikes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Elliptical machines are a great cycling substitute for me. Feels like climbing.
    I never really liked them in the past, but that may be my way to best keep both my running and biking fitness up.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Sorry to hear this Zoom, hope you have a quick recovery! Yeah, I dislike the cardio machines as well but they are certainly better than the alternative

Oh, that stinks. Heal quick!

Let the ortho know you need to be able to run. The tradeoff might be a chuffier cast and less use of the hand. When i sprained my wrists and hands two years ago off the road bike, I had to tape all my fingers together to be able to run without pain.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

What a bummer, Zoom. I hope you heal quickly and that whatever pain you're in is bearable.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Oh no! I hope it doesn't hurt, and you're back on the bike soon!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I dislocated my elbow about this time last year. No fun at all, and I completely get how frustrating it can be!

Stationary recumbent bike was the first thing I was able to do (the elliptical was too jarring in the beginning) and then lower body strength work and the elliptical, then eventually my bike on the trainer. The worst part is that casts/braces are itchy and kind of a pain in the rear when you get sweaty.

Heal fast!

There is a good chance that you won't be able to tolerate running for several weeks. Try hiking on your mtb trails. You'll be amazed by what you see on foot that you've been missing on the bike. Also, hiking up hills will help get your heart rate up without jarring your broken bone(s). Lower body work like squats and monster walks with an elastic band will help keep your legs strong. Monster walks can be done moving forward, backward, and sideways. Anything that you can do to increase your circulation without causing pain is going to speed the bone healing, reduce swelling, and help maintain fitness.

Yes, you will probably be gun shy when you get back on the bike. It's called self preservation. Don't sweat it. Give yourself permission to walk the obstacles that you've recently mastered. It won't take toooooo many rides to regain your confidence and skills.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

I concur that hiking mtb trails allows us to see them from a very different perspective. Knowing that you will likely have to deal a bit with being gun-shy when you return should help. I learned a lot about this over the last year, and developed quite a problem with it but I've injured myself quite a few times in the last year. Such is life - you will be back on the trails and loving it sooner than you know. Thankfully it happened at this time of the year rather than spring...

Feel better Kirsten!! you may be stuck on the trainer for a little bit or picking up some new activities but at least it is the winter.