Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Biking and Music

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went for my longest ride yet on Saturday, a little over 9 miles. ( I just stared biking). After about 2 miles, I had to put on my headphones and listen to music. It made my ride so much easier.

I do realize the safety issue with riding with headphones. What are your views on riding with music?

I've just gotten back into road riding after a 20- some odd year hiatus. DH and I were just discussing this very thing, and warning, it's a hot topic. I don't know how you can possible hear oncoming traffic with even one earbud in. We were riding in a lot of wind, and could hardly hear cars and motorcycles anyway sans music. I think it's really unsafe.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Bad idea.

If you must, then I think aridrives are the way to go. Music is still distracting, however, so even with being able to hear, you are more distracted than you think you are.
    http://www.rei.com/search?query=airdrives
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I don't listen to music when I ride. I listen to my bike and to the surroundings. I only listen on the stationary bike in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    If you must, then I think aridrives are the way to go. Music is still distracting, however, so even with being able to hear, you are more distracted than you think you are.
    http://www.rei.com/search?query=airdrives
    Do you listen to music in the car?

I think as adults we need to decide for ourselves and our own situations what is safe or not safe and whether or not our choices are worth the risk.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

If you can't ride without headphones, stay off the roads/trails where other people are. You don't have the right to make MY ride more dangerous because you can't hear me -- or someone/something else -- coming.

I listen to music in the car but my car is also bigger, enclosed and safer than a bike. If I don't hear a car that might hit me while in a car the odds I will survive an accident are exponentially bigger than if I don't hear a car I need to get out of the way of on a bike.
    I don't listen to music and won't let my 13-year old do it either because it's impossible to hear that car behind you or the cars coming up in an intersection. I find it even more important when I need to make a left turn.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Not worth the risk of harm to myself and others.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Savra View Post
    I listen to music in the car but my car is also bigger, enclosed and safer than a bike. If I don't hear a car that might hit me while in a car the odds I will survive an accident are exponentially bigger than if I don't hear a car I need to get out of the way of on a bike.
    I don't listen to music and won't let my 13-year old do it either because it's impossible to hear that car behind you or the cars coming up in an intersection. I find it even more important when I need to make a left turn.
    I see what Veronica means though: you might not hear the screams of a cyclist/pedestrian you have not seen and are about to hit. Yes, that is a risk and one must make the decision whether it is worth it.

Personally, the only occasion I use headphones is as a passenger in an airplane. Running or cycling, I like to be aware of every sound around me. In the car, I am not big into music except when on a highway.

I don't listen to music when I ride because I find it very distracting. The other day, I was on the paved bike trail and there was a couple in front of me riding with headphones on. I called out "on your left", rang my bike bell, and attempted to pass. The woman didn't even hear me. She was singing and leisurely riding and almost crashed into me as she weaved left just as I was passing. She was shocked that she almost caused an accident.

Sometimes when I'm on the trail and I don't have headphones, it's hard for me to hear approaching cyclists. I can't imagine what it must be like if I had them on or even worse, I can't imagine what it would be like on a busy road, since I ride mainly on a not-so-busy bike trail.

My opinion is that riding with headphones isn't worth the risk. You can seriously injure yourself or another person because you're not as focused on what's around you.

Being in a car is a bit different because, unless your music is blaring, you can clearly hear and see what's around you and you're not exerting any energy to physically move so all your concentration is on your surroundings. When I ride, I'm focused on my pedaling, looking for rocks/bumps on the road, correct hand position (I'm a beginner) and posture, music would just be another distraction.

I would love to have the music, I think it would help me. But I am with those who say it is a safety issue. Certainly never do it on a multi-use trail. I can't think of how many times I approach a jogger who has earphones and they can't hear me when I say that I am passing. Frustrating and dangerous for both of us.

I know some people use them on the open road but I feel like I really have to hear what might be coming up behind me. I often don't catch them in my mirror.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I listen to "music", but not on the road. (I actually listen to audio books) I listen only when I'm on the nature trail or in the big state park. I'm afraid of doing it on the road.
    Life in Miles - My journal-blog

I listen to the world around me on the bike - even if there weren't a safety concern, listening to music on the bike removes one of the reasons I love riding - to connect me to the world around me.

I tend to zone out on the bike a bit anyway and miss the occasional turn, etc. So I think music would be a bad idea for me. Plus I would feel like a real idiot if I didn't hear a car because I had headphones on. Great for the trainer in the winter, but I prefer the soundtrack of birds and nature in the summer.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/