Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    So I had a great bike ride on Saturday. And I'm not going to be humble here -- I designed a seriously awesome route. I lead a club ride in northern Maryland, with a few miles in Pennsylvania for good measure. I used some roads I knew from the Civil War Century, a few that I picked up on a Baltimore Bike Club ride a couple of years ago, and some that I had never seen in person before but was able to scout out virtually using Google Street View. The result of 50 miles, with many quiet country lanes, lots of creek crossings, two covered bridges, an Oreo cow sighting (http://beltie.org), and just a whole day of fun rural cycling with friends. The weather was near perfect; after several days of rain and humidity, the skies cleared and it was actually cooler than normal for mid-June, with a just a bit of a breeze at times.

Every day should be this good!!
    Oreo cows!! Who knew?! I thought maybe they would be just black and white cows, but no they really look like an Oreo cookie! What an awesome ride report. Now I'm hungry though...
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

We might be going on another "tour" in Vermont over 4th of July. It's a trip run by the other bike club we belong to, not AMC, although the leader is also an AMC leader. It's really not a tour, we stay in one place, and do the rides out of there. It's in the same area we rode in, in central Vermont last September (big climbs), but it would allow us to do the ferry ride over to NY, across Lake Champlain, that we missed because of bad weather. Waiting to hear if there's space open still, and if we can get GPS files for the rides, as we will most definitely be riding on our own.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We might be going on another "tour" in Vermont over 4th of July. It's a trip run by the other bike club we belong to, not AMC, although the leader is also an AMC leader. It's really not a tour, we stay in one place, and do the rides out of there. It's in the same area we rode in, in central Vermont last September (big climbs), but it would allow us to do the ferry ride over to NY, across Lake Champlain, that we missed because of bad weather. Waiting to hear if there's space open still, and if we can get GPS files for the rides, as we will most definitely be riding on our own.
    Sounds a lot like an AMC trip I am doing at the end of this month...it's advertised as a "food tour" where we ride to different places each day of the weekend (and go to farmers markets etc.) but are based out of someone's home. As for the ferry ride, is that the Ticonderoga ferry? If so, I've taken that several times to meet up with my family and a big group of other people for an annual camping get-together at Lake George. Back on the topic of this thread, I had about a 12-mile day today but it was just utilitarian riding...grocery run in the morning and riding to/from the community bike shop to volunteer in the afternoon. Very hot and humid today so probably just as well that I didn't do a long ride.
    Last edited by Jolt; 06-17-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Yes, the Ticonderoga Ferry. It was 48 degrees and raining when we were supposed to do it last September, and since it was the last day, we just wanted to get done. It was a wise decision, as the rain got heavier, and the hills got harder. Much harder.
    ETA: We are definitely going on the trip!
    Last edited by Crankin; 06-18-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Went on a club ride today. It was a really pretty, flattish route (2-3 hills), in northern MA, starting at a park in North Reading. I've been on a lot of these roads, but not in a long time. I was somewhat concerned, as it's HOT and humid, but there's a stiff breeze, the route had shade on the majority of roads, and the clouds are rolling in, despite the fact it was between 80 and 88 during the ride. I kept feeding myself Shot Blocks and drank 2 bottles of Skratch Lab stuff. Ate a Lara Bar at the rest stop. 37.8 miles. I didn't get my average, as when I have my GPS set on a course, I am not sure where it is. But, I rode up front most of the time, so I know this was a very fast ride for me. I also didn't stay for the lunch, as I have a haircut/color appointment soon.
    There was one new woman who just moved here from PA. I had to get away from her, or I was going to throw up from listening to her tell another new person about all of her tours, trips, fast rides, sports, etc. Her voice was getting on my nerves. Eh, I dropped her on the hills, but other than that, it was fun.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Did a ride with a local group. It was fun but WAY faster and longer than advertised. Advertised it was 22-24km/hr and 40 km for the slow group. We averaged almost 28 and ended up doing closed to 50km on the "short" route. One of the anchors of the "slow" group wasn't there but a ride leader who wasn't in a hurry did the loop with me. I feel like people here are a lot more intense than back home but generally just as nice I ended up doing the fastest miles of my life for that long of a time! Who knew? I've done about 90 miles so far this week.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I had to take a vacation day today (I'm a government contractor and there's a delay in getting funding for our work due to a paperwork problem), so I got a few friends together for a 32-mile ride this morning. We're having our first heat wave of the year, yesterday the high temp of 97 broke a record and today was only a few degrees lower. I tried to plan a shady route, but ended up with lots of shade in the first half and some long sunny stretches in the second part of the ride. Luckily there were large white clouds in the sky that kept the sun from blazing down on us without mercy. Despite the heat, it was a nice ride overall.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It's awesome out today, so both DH and i came home around 11:30. After dealing with some computer stuff, eating lunch, we decided just to do a short loop.
    11.2 miles, hilly, and fast. I will ride tomorrow before I leave for the airport, hopefully at least 30, which will put me within 60 miles of my July 1 goal. I can easily make that, if the weather cooperates next weekend, since we have a 50 mile ride scheduled a week from tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Nybiker, that sounds like an awesome excuse to ride. Glad you got out! And crankin, Congrats!

My goal was 120 miles. I am now at 142, so I kicked butt this week. Did the club ride with the ladies last night and it was awesome. If you can believe it, I am struggling more with pace on the flat than hills. There's just no goal. I feel great at first and then get lost. During the climbs last night, I led the entire group (including two very, very experienced cyclists). I just passed everyone. I am really starting to miss hills. If I do the ride I want to do soon (to Meech Lake and back with a new acquaintance) I should be on target for some good climbs. I really need to figure out a strategy for pushing it on the flat. It seems like the best approach is to ride with some people who really push the pace.

Met some really cool women to ride with, so I cannot complain. Loving Ottawa. For 20 straight days, I have ridden my bike. That's dang impressive. Loving every minute and really enjoying my time here.

Owned by:

Colorisnt, I am the same way. It's harder for me to maintain speed on the flats. This is why I was surprised I could stay up front on my ride Wednesday. I did pass almost everyone on the 3 hills, but as usual, I start feeling better, near the end of a ride, and that had a lot to do with my ability to stay with the faster group. I need a long time to "settle in."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah. I need some hills to get my legs responding, I think. It's weird. Most people look at me like I have two heads. The group leader was like, "You hung back and seemed rather timid until you passed us all on EVERY HILL. Where the f*ck did you learned to climb like that?" And I was like, "I'm living in a VERY hilly place currently and my commute has some serious grading to it". They all were dumbfounded but the leader says next time she's going to force me to stay in front and pace with her. I'll take it. It will be good for me, Ithink.

Owned by:

Re: hills vs flats -- is it that your legs get tired on the flats, or could it be that you don't have a gear that works well for you?

Gone but not forgotten:

I have a perfect gear for the flats. I don't think I get tired as much as distracted/bored. I can't focus well. It's really not my body being tired or sore just not really being told what to do by my brain more than anything. I myself forget I am capable of a faster pace on the flat.

Owned by:

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    Yeah. I need some hills to get my legs responding, I think. It's weird. Most people look at me like I have two heads. The group leader was like, "You hung back and seemed rather timid until you passed us all on EVERY HILL. Where the f*ck did you learned to climb like that?" And I was like, "I'm living in a VERY hilly place currently and my commute has some serious grading to it". They all were dumbfounded but the leader says next time she's going to force me to stay in front and pace with her. I'll take it. It will be good for me, Ithink.
    I think I am the opposite...I can get into a rhythm and cruise along pretty well on the flat but when I hit a hill (unless it is a very gradual incline without any steeper segments) I just can't seem to maintain any speed. It's frustrating.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I slow down a lot on hills but it doesn't bother me. Though in my case, it's because I have to shift down and slow my cadence to prevent the asthma from kicking in.

I had a great ride today. I led a 47-mile club ride in rural southern Maryland, in the area between the Patuxent River and the Chesapeake Bay. The day started cloudy and cool with light rain early in the morning, but the clouds thinned out and the roads dried and we ended up with a nice day.

Gone but not forgotten: