Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've had good intentions about running with my dog, but it hasn't happened much. But today, I was met on my way out the door by a hopeful doggy look, so why not... The first 15 minutes or so, she wanted to go much faster than I did, with a couple piddle stops. After that, she kept getting slower and slower. Quit trying to run when she decided that a brisk walk was plenty fast enough. She's a fit and athletic young dog, but conditioned more for sprinting than a prolonged more moderate effort! Handling the leash was a bit awkward, but not as bad as carrying a bag full of dog poop when that time came. All in all, it was fun: not much of a run for me, but good exercise for her. We'll see how much energy she has this evening...

yasso's. Only managed to do 3. It's been way too long since I've run consistently!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I finished W3D2 of C25K today - it was warm about 86 degrees.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Rain! At last! It's been an absurdly dry summer so far, but this morning I got to do my run in a drizzle-- lovely. Just a leisurely 5 miles; I was going to hit the track but it doesn't drain well and it was covered with puddles. Some other day...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I took the whole week off running (after my marathon plus some last week). I needed to let some nagging little injuries rest. I painted the outside of the house, remodeled our little courtyard area in the front of the house, and lazed around.
    I'm ready to run again!!
    Tomorrow I'm doing the Color me Rad run downtown. Should be fun. Can't wait to get in some more long miles, tho! We head to Colorado next Saturday and I'm simply DYING to get out there on some mountain trails and let my legs loose. SO ready for cool weather and beautiful scenery!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

For the first time in my adult life, I think I can say I like running.

I bought a pair of Merrell barefoot shoes a few months ago as general purpose tennis shoes because they looked cool (orange and pink ) and were super comfortable. After wearing them to work/errands for a bit, I figured I should probably give them a try at what they're made for and went for a jog/walk. I realized that I have always plodded along on my heels and they were incredibly uncomfortable like that and made me run on my toes, which was kinda fun. Hurt my feet fairly quickly, but I've been trying to go for mixed jog/walks a couple times a week-- just got back from a 20 minute jog and the feet feel good.

Anyway, I'm not going to be setting any speed/distance records soon, but it seems like a decent compliment to bike time and I'll probably stick around here since I have no idea what I'm doing (other than one foot in front of the other, etc )

It's been another low mileage week. With the (typical) summer weather and not training for anything in particular, 6 mile runs have turned into 4s, and 9 into 6. But I've still been running 6 days a week.

Maybe it's time to start focusing on an early fall race somewhere, just to have a goal to work towards. There's a 10k in Sept., and a HM in Oct. Hmmm....

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    summer is just sucking the life out of me as a runner. My long runs have been getting shortened, too. Just can't help it. I'm trying to heart rate train, to work on my aerobic endurance, but the heat is killing any progress I'm making- and it's making me INCREDIBLY frustrated in the process. Sigh...
    I won't complain about summer sucking, because intellectually I understand how the seasons work and that summer is supposed to be suffocatingly hot. I just miss the strong, confident runner I am in the fall and winter. And I want to run with her again...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

weeeeeeee

De lurking & wanted to share a new pb!

WAMC (west aust marathon club) 10km Run for gold...50min...Awesome...Knew I was working me behind off as hr was up & about 1/2 km towards the end thought i'd lose some of my brekkie... (didn't)

Another 1/2 in 3 weeks & aim's for around 2:05...

I ran this today:

(Note - the start is on the right)

Well, ran is overstating things a little. But it wasn't too bad until my stomach decided that 10,500 feet is too high. I had hoped for a 15 minute mile average and didn't make it. Race was in Vail, up the slopes to the gondola. Good training for Pikes (which is really going to hurt, I've learned).

Congrats on your time, crazycanuck! Good luck with the next one!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Yowza Jessmarimba, that is some serious climbing and it doesn't look like you had many down-hill sections Very cool you finished it, even if your body didn't like the altitude. When is your race at Pikes?

crazycanuck - congratulations and good luck on the next!

So I have not posted in a long while. I AM running. I had a set back in June with a conference and a bad, bad cold/sinusitis that set my training for the Peak back 3 weeks. I have since then worked on endurance and intensity. The summer heat and Florida humidity has been horrible, but that is my "altitude". I did 14 slow hot miles this Friday and this upcoming Wednesday is my 16 mile run (slog). It will be the longest, I have done a 15 miler and 16 miler prior to my set back and had planned to do an 18 miler, oh well. Then I will just work on hill (bridge) repeats and walking at 15% on the treadmill.

I am not sure I am as prepared as last year for Pikes Peak. I know that I (as a flatlander) will really just power hike it like last year. But I would like to better my time and I still fear the cut offs. Plus you never really know what the altitude will do to or you the afternoon weather on the Peak.

Jess...that looks like an awesome training run for the Peak. Are you doing the Ascent or Marathon? Good luck! I am sure I'll be way behind you!

K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post
    Jess...that looks like an awesome training run for the Peak. Are you doing the Ascent or Marathon? Good luck! I am sure I'll be way behind you!
    Being a great traiing run is all it had going for it! Halfway kidding, but I certainly wouldn't have signed up for that race otherwise. Just doing the Ascent. I'd like to camp a few times at altitude before the race to make sure my stomach can handle altitude (also, gotta remember the tums I usually have in my pocket!)

Catrin, the Ascent is August 18 - full marathon is August 19.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Being a great traiing run is all it had going for it! Halfway kidding, but I certainly wouldn't have signed up for that race otherwise. Just doing the Ascent. I'd like to camp a few times at altitude before the race to make sure my stomach can handle altitude (also, gotta remember the tums I usually have in my pocket!)

Catrin, the Ascent is August 18 - full marathon is August 19.
    Consider me one of your cyber-cowbell ringers...errr....do they do that for runners? If not they should

Today I completed W4D1 of C25K. It was hot though, 93 degrees.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100