Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

January rides? Anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We're one week into the new year! I haven't had a chance to ride my bike yet, not even on the indoor trainer. The weather here has been too wintery for me, and I've been busy unpacking from my holiday trip and trying to address some of the many things around the house that I've been ignoring.

What about everyone else? Any good bike rides yet this month?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Well, my new bike is on the trainer. I was going to ride it this afternoon (like now), but I'm kind of tired, so I think some restorative yoga is in order.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've done a couple of rides on the trainer.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Twice on trainer only. Too tired to even think about moving my butt once work is over.

Too cold now for outdoor. It was -39c with windchill today. brrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    Twice on trainer only. Too tired to even think about moving my butt once work is over.

Too cold now for outdoor. It was -39c with windchill today. brrrrr
    Yes this arctic air is no fun, and I think our windchill is not even as bad as yours.

I find I'm most likely to ride the bike on trainer after work if everything is set up and ready to go before I leave for work. I haven't been able to do that yet (my living room has been full of other stuff, like the extra suitcase that needs to go back to the storage unit and the bags of old clothes I had to take to Goodwill). Last year I also found it helpful to change the programming for my thermostat so that it stays at the colder daytime temp on days I want to ride the bike instead of warming up to the usual evening temp. The colder room makes the workout more comfortable, and since it's not toasty and cozy I'm less likely to sit down on the couch and decide to stay there for the rest of the evening.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I rode on Tuesday--a very non-exciting 10-mile (round trip) commute. Does that count as a January ride?

We're having ok weather here, and if it holds, on my way home from work on Saturday I might go home via a circumnavigation of Bainbridge or Mercer Island. But it's the time of year when I'm much more interested in time under a blanket with a book, cat, and chocolate than I am time in the saddle...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Our weather has been pretty decent this week. The week I went back to work. Winter break we had some nasty winds.

Every day I think I'll ride after work, but I'm so tired when I get home. And I don't even put in an 8 hour day at work! I find it a lot easier to get in my workouts in the morning - hence the trainer rides.

\Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I've put in a little under 60 miles doing trail rides. Nothing too interesting.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get out for a short ride tomorrow. It's been over a month since I've been on my bike, with the holidays and weather, etc.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

We got out this week, mt biking not on the road. I think it was 21 degrees when we left the house with probably 25 mph winds. We have a short stretch on the road before we hit out local trails. Once we got into the woods it was fine. We have all the heavy winter gear, so we are well dressed for it.

Heading out again tomorrow a bit further north from home. I think the high for the day is forecast to be 22!!! I just check the expiration dates on all of the toe warmers!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    We got out this week, mt biking not on the road. I think it was 21 degrees when we left the house with probably 25 mph winds. We have a short stretch on the road before we hit out local trails. Once we got into the woods it was fine. We have all the heavy winter gear, so we are well dressed for it.

Heading out again tomorrow a bit further north from home. I think the high for the day is forecast to be 22!!! I just check the expiration dates on all of the toe warmers!
    That is seriously hard core rocknrollgirl... wowzers!

I finally did get to go out this morning, just errands, it was in the mid-40s, but with the sunshine it felt warmer and felt nice to be out in it... stopped by the book store, the health food store for vitamins and then the grocery store for salad ingredients. Okay, I did buy some chocolate too. Theo 70% dark chocolate with cherries and almonds... practically health food, right? Don't even know what my mileage was and don't care, probably less than 10 miles all together.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    That is seriously hard core rocknrollgirl... wowzers!

I finally did get to go out this morning, just errands, it was in the mid-40s, but with the sunshine it felt warmer and felt nice to be out in it... stopped by the book store, the health food store for vitamins and then the grocery store for salad ingredients. Okay, I did buy some chocolate too. Theo 70% dark chocolate with cherries and almonds... practically health food, right? Don't even know what my mileage was and don't care, probably less than 10 miles all together.
    We have all the gear, so it is not quite as bad as it looks on paper. Right now it is 15 degrees. It will not break 20 on our mt bike ride today, so hand warmer, toe warmers, full winter gear, camel back under the jersey etc. Aquaphor on exposed face areas.

I usually ask myself, "would I ski in these temps?" and if the answer is yes, then off we go. Heck I have backpacked in temps WAY colder and slept out in the woods. I am contemplating wearing my ski goggles today. May look wacky but my face will be protected.

I will let you all know how we make out. Maybe I will throw my camera in so you can see the final outcome of the gearing up!!!

Ok, back from the ride. It was 13 when we left the house, 15 when we started and 18 when we finished! It was such a pretty day. We got about 2 hours of ride time in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	17512

Big tall guy on my right is my husband and the guy on my left is one of are riding buddies.
    Last edited by rocknrollgirl; 01-10-2015 at 09:19 AM.

I snuck out of work early on Wednesday and put in 40 miles on paved trails. It really makes me appreciate our Florida weather!
    Rode 20 this afternoon, it was in the low 60's to 50's - definitely need to get some warmer clothes. Now back home sitting in front of the fire.
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7

I did my first 100K for 2015 with DH on Jan. 3rd. We mostly rode on the Burke-Gilman and Sammamish River Trails, which were both surprisingly crowded even though it was in the 40s. We saw at least half a dozen other Seattle Randos, including Jan Heine who sped by us in a flash of blue on the BG. It was overcast but not rainy, and the sun came out for part of the ride, which made it feel warmer. We were scheduled to do the Maltby-Granite Falls 100K yesterday, but 40-degree weather and 50-70% chance of rain was way too cold and rainy for me, so DH went without me.

We did our January tandem 100k yesterday--a 70-miler, actually. Lake Forest Park-Capitol Hill-Renton-Kennydale-East Lake Samm-BG back to LFP. What I like to call "one of the longer 100ks". I think this is the third time we've done this one, and we really like it, but boy! We always JUST make the first two control times, because so much of the first half of the ride is uphill. Yep, it was grey and misty and pretty cool. We didn't get rained on very much--our shoes under the booties stayed dry--but we definitely got condensed on. Lots of bikes out yesterday.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks