Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

feeling just warmer in body

To disable ads, please log-in.

I guess my menopause has stopped..meaning no period for past 3 years,etc.

One thing for certain, the core of my body just seems to be warmer. I seem to get warmer/more flush after a simple bike ride. What I wear for clothing seems to feel warmer now compared to 10 years ago. I'm going not going into the sweats or hot flashes. Then when I pee ...after only a 25 km. ride, it's hot.. I would have never got that until after a 50 km. ride.

Do you feel warmer or colder as you age? I'm 58 yrs. Oy.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I'm almost 54 and menopaused for over 2 years now and I'm mostly always too hot. Today we were riding. It was very windy (points at 45km/h SW) and started off at 15c. I endured my very thin windbreaker for about 10km, if not less. Then I removed it and was just short sleeved jersey. I think I was the only cyclist without a jacket on for at least most of the ride. lol We only did a 50km ride and I felt sweat running down my back. The weirdest thing is sleep during the night ... blankets fly away. Comes 6am, I'm so cold I'd need an extra blanket. So if I nap during the day I'm always chilly.

But doing gym, I'm like you...pee feels so hot vs before.

So yes, it seems my body temperature is higher and I flush (heat) more easily as I get older. And it is so much harder too to lose the weight, or at least manage what I have. grrr.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Menopause doesn't "stop." It means the time period after your last period.
    I started riding about a year before my periods stopped (I was young). So, at first, I dealt with perimenopause symptoms and PMS affecting my riding. But, once I stopped having periods, I didn't seem to be affected. I do think your tolerance to heat can change, though. I know that I continued to have a few hot flashes for quite a few years after my periods stopped. Interestingly, it never happened when I was riding.
    I generally run "hot," at least compared to my husband. I am a big head "sweater," so taking off a head cover is a big help at this in between time of year, where it may be cold when I start. Although temperatures in the 50s (F) are my ideal to ride in, they are also the hardest for me to dress for. I always seem to get warmer pretty fast, so I will wear a short sleeved jersey, maybe a sleeveless base layer, and a vest and arm warmers, so I can peel the layers off. My DH will be wearing a long sleved base layer over a long sleeved jersey and a jacket.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm well past that, now that I've almost reached 67. Every great once in awhile, I'll get tinges of a hot flash, but by now, I find that I'm more sensitive to the cold, not less. I just handle it by doing very aerobic things like skiing and snow biking when outdoors in our very cold winters. Standing around kind of things in the winter are pretty much a no no, these days.

As a long time winter biker, the ideal for me as far as dressing for cold weather, is to feel cool for the first couple of miles. My body then warms up to the comfy level. If I feel warm right from the start, I know I've over-dressed, at least as far as my core temp goes. My hands, ears, face and feet can never be too warm in the winter.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-24-2017 at 08:23 AM.

I know some older (menopausal) women who are always warm, never wear sweaters in winter and are comfortable in over-air-conditioned buildings in summer. I'm generally colder overall now than I used to be, especially my extremities. Ten years ago I would be comfortable in lightweight tights when cycling in cool weather but now I need heavier tights and booties or toe covers in the same conditions. As he's gotten older, my 81-year-old father feels the cold more than most people, and his mother was the same way. I seem to be headed down the same path. But at the same time, I was extremely uncomfortable working out at my gym this winter because it felt way overheated to me, to the point where I started using the small fitness center at my office instead, while no one else at my gym seemed the least bit uncomfortable. And I've always had more problems cycling in the hot summer sun than my friends -- I'm always the one who needs to stop in the shade to cool down.

So I guess there's no clear pattern for me, at least not yet.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

ahh the joys of aging... My temperature threshold is really narrow now - both cold and heat bother me. Below 68 I am cold, above 80 I am hot - I do a lot of layering When biking and if I am "hot" I wear a wet bandanna around my neck -works for me. of course going to a dresser event that would raise some eyebrows... Love the hot flash expression "please excuse me while I have my own private summer"
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    ahh the joys of aging... My temperature threshold is really narrow now - both cold and heat bother me. Below 68 I am cold, above 80 I am hot - I do a lot of layering When biking and if I am "hot" I wear a wet bandanna around my neck -works for me. of course going to a dresser event that would raise some eyebrows... Love the hot flash expression "please excuse me while I have my own private summer"
    This is totally me now too. I call it my "comfort zone", and it seems to have narrowed considerably since menopause. It is frustrating as so many places we go are either too hot or too chilly for me to be really comfortable. My DH does better at anything above 70 and doesn't get why I am so hot when it's above 80.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

These days I tolerate heat MUCH better than I once did and am COLD in the winter time. I literally can't get my apartment warm enough in the winter - and if I didn't need to sleep in darkness I could open my apartment winds to allow a nice cross-breeze for any temps < 80 and sleep well (bedroom window looks over the lit parking lot). As far as outdoor activities are concerned, hiking at 87 or 90 degrees is PERFECT! I'm like that purring cat stretched out in the hot sunshine

All of this and more is just interesting reading!

Several things here:
    My body has acclimatized to different CAnadian regions. Right now the prairies, it's much drier, colder than Ontario or southern coastal British Columbia where there's generally more humidity in the air and where I used to live and bike for many years.

I believe over the past decade, my tolerance to cold temperatures, has increased. My tolerance for heat, especially humid heat (ie. humidex over 75%) has dropped alot. 7 years ago , I loved Hawai'i but didn't truly "enjoy" tropical heat..and they get Pacific ocean winds. My partner often wears at least double the top body layers, compared to myself.

I love cycling in 0-15 degrees C in winter/early spring/fall where I live. As long it's very light breeze or none at all! In our part of the world, we can get drastic strong wind for a few hrs. because it comes off the Rocky Mountains.
    It's drier temp. I often wear long sleeve jersey, light fleecy and medium weight cycling jacket. As it gets warmer, would wear a light fleecy vest instead of long sleeved fleecy under cycling jacket. If it does get warmer during day, short sleeved jersey instead of long sleeved jersey works for me for those temperature ranges. I haven't yet "hardened" my cycling legs yet this spring, since we had some snowflakes today!

Our winters do annually drop as low as -25 to -35 degrees C for several days.

I don't mind the annoying heat engine inside me for exercise activities. It's more when I wear dressy lovely clothing..off bike...

Good to know that hot pee after short bout of exercise can..um normal for certain age brackets.
    I also seem to need a tiny energy snack or similar for bike trips shorter than ie. 15 years ago. Or maybe my stomache has become like Pavolov's dog..primed to eat sooner.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-25-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    As far as outdoor activities are concerned, hiking at 87 or 90 degrees is PERFECT! I'm like that purring cat stretched out in the hot sunshine
    LOL...you sound like my DH. I would totally wilt!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yup, my DH is like that, too. I hate riding in heat, although I am better at it now than in the past, if I have time to acclimate. Hiking in the heat does not bother me as much.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I just want to thank you all for this thread. Very timely for me. I haven't been to the doctor yet, but just passed the 1-year point last week. The hot flashes are killing me. I've always hated heat and humidity, plus have a history of panic attacks, so this is not fun. It's too soon to be able to tell how my ideal comfort zones may be changing. So far I haven't noticed anything connected with exercise (aside from noticing that I HAVEN'T noticed any hot flashes during exercise). I'm afraid of what summer will be like, though. Especially because I'm planning to do a marathon in September. For me, biking has always been fine in hot weather, but running is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie2 View Post
    I just want to thank you all for this thread. Very timely for me. I haven't been to the doctor yet, but just passed the 1-year point last week. The hot flashes are killing me. I've always hated heat and humidity, plus have a history of panic attacks, so this is not fun. It's too soon to be able to tell how my ideal comfort zones may be changing. So far I haven't noticed anything connected with exercise (aside from noticing that I HAVEN'T noticed any hot flashes during exercise). I'm afraid of what summer will be like, though. Especially because I'm planning to do a marathon in September. For me, biking has always been fine in hot weather, but running is another story.
    Am hoping you the best in the marathon and pre-marathon runs! Things could be a whole lot worse.