Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Men's shorts

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Men's shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

My LBS just got in a boatload of Giordana-labelled clothes with the shop logo. He has women's jerseys, but the accessories and shorts, tights, and bibs are all "unisex" - i.e., mens. I'm thinking of buying some shorts for the shop rides...so I can be a TRUE poseur with the big dogs.

Is there any real issue with wearing men's bike shorts??

Will the chamois be THAT uncomfortable for me??

I am rather...um..."hippy" and I wonder if they will even fit me properly vs. men's usual CLNB status (that is: "Chicken Legs, No Butt"). You know...snug at the hips, loose at the waist (wait...most women's pants fit me like that!).

So...will I grow hair in strange places if I wear men's shorts? Start scratching myself at inappropriate times? Anyone want to admit that they've worn (or wear) men's shorts?
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Is there any real issue with wearing men's bike shorts??

Will the chamois be THAT uncomfortable for me??

So...will I grow hair in strange places if I wear men's shorts? Anyone want to admit that they've worn (or wear) men's shorts?
    Me, all the time. Bibs, tights, shorts, tri shorts.

We just have a basket full that we share. Never had any particular issues up to a century ride. Well I never tried a women's so maybe that would work even better.

With regards to sizing, you CAN try them on after all.

About the hair.... I have hair on my teeth*, but that's not from riding men's chamois.

*I checked google and it seems this works in english too?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

At 5'10" and 200-ish pounds I only wear mens stuff. Check the seam on the chamois carefully, some hit in just the wrong place and some don't. I wear the cheapies from Nashbar because I don't like a thick pad...they work quite well and don't rub.

Electra Townie 7D

when i designed the jersey in my avatar for a charity ride, i also designed shorts for our team. you had to have a minimum of 6 and there was no way i could get a minimum of 6 men and 6 women orders. i asked the guy at the company about the shorts specifically and about the chamois. his explanation to me was for their shorts it was really just the inseam that was different between the men and women shorts. not sure how true that is but i will say that we ordered the men's shorts and i think they are the most comfortable cycling shorts i own and the other two women that got them thought they were fine too. so i say, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Anyone want to admit that they've worn (or wear) men's shorts?
    Hon, anyone who's been riding for over 20 years has worn men's shorts. That's all there used to be.

They were seriously uncomfortable and chafe-y... but maybe they were uncomfortable for men back then, too. No real input, sorry Just if they fit when you try them on, make sure the chamois is wide enough in back to pad your sit bones, and not so wide in the middle that it's going to chafe or bunch up.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-31-2007 at 09:42 AM.

ge

i wore a pair of men's shorts from ground effect until i deceided the women's ones weren't that bad after all!

ssssoooooo comfy..

c

Thing is it has nothing to do with "men's" or "women's" chamois. They're either comfortable in the saddle or they're not. That's the only real thing ya look for.

I've had a women's chamois in a pair of knicks that was just WRONG. Pinched in all the wrong placed. (PRORACE) They had to go. But then again I love my PI knicks with the 3D tour chamois.

BF and I interchanged our Fluid knicks by mistake one day - didn't notice the difference till we got home and had a quiet laugh about it.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log