Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Chilly rain and gloves

To disable ads, please log-in.

We don't have very many chilly, rainy days here in Central Texas, but when we do, I usually cop out and take public transit. The *only* reason I don't ride on those days is because I dread having cold, wet hands. I greatly prefer riding to standing at the bus stop in the exact same weather, usually for the exact same amount of time - except that between my umbrella and my pockets, at the bus stop I have warm hands.

Please, someone tell me how to keep my hands warm and at least mostly dry!

They have "hippo hands" for bicycles now. I dont' remember what they're called but they have 'em at our bike shop. THey go over the handlebars and you tuck your hands in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    They have "hippo hands" for bicycles now. I dont' remember what they're called but they have 'em at our bike shop. THey go over the handlebars and you tuck your hands in there.

They are Bar Mitts. But are they waterproof?

What about something like this:

http://www.bontrager.com/model/09704

It looks like they're unisex. I bought similar Bontrager gloves last year that are windproof but not waterproof, and they're a bit long in the fingers but otherwise fit okay. Anyway Bontrager has a 30-day guarantee if you don't like them.

I found that the windshell gloves combined with Smartwool glove liners kept my hands toasty on a cloudy day with temps in the high 40s. It didn't rain though, so I don't know if the gloves I have are at all water resistant.

Also it looks like TE has several different waterproof gloves at different price points. The SealSkinz look interesting.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/...1-c55-c59.html

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Trick I learned from the pros:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3283140905_e49ffb99f0.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	15595

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Over here (where it gets seriously cold and wet), cyclocross riders swear over Glacier gloves, in particular the "Super G Race" gloves. Costlier than gnat!'s solution, but probably easier to put on and take off...

Now why didn't I think of latex gloves?

Cold+rain happens all of about 10 days a year here, so I think I'll try some combination of latex + my existing gloves before I drop $$$ on anything. I've lost too many gloves to ever spend $60 on a pair. Might watch for a sale.

I've tried Sealskinz before, and was not impressed. They are nicely shaped and fit well, with good details. But the waterproof layer seemed to be on the inside, closest to my hand. So when I rode through proper cold rain, I ended up with heavy, soaking, ice-cold gloves, that just didn't happen to let the water all the way through. In addition the inner liner detached from the outer very easily when I took them off, unless my hands were bone dry, which doesn't happen when I ride a bike. The liner was a bear to put back.

Mind you, they may well have improved the design since then, but be sure to ask. My solution these days are neoprene paddling gloves when it pours, and get wet otherwise.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have some battery heated ones, 'cuz I'm a big baby.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I have some battery heated ones, 'cuz I'm a big baby.
    Nothing wrong with that! If I could afford them I would have them yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by soprano View Post
    Now why didn't I think of latex gloves?
    Hmm - latex gloves would have my hands sweating so badly that even with thermal gloves over top, I'd be freezing.

On the other hand, I usually keep a plastic grocery bag stuffed up in the rails of my saddle. One time I was out and my hands got so cold that I ripped up pieces of the plastic bag and wrapped them around each finger, then put my gloves on over top. That worked pretty well, but not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. Same principle would work for cold toes or just wrap the plastic over your sock before you put your shoes on.

I picked up some specialized gloves, I asked the guy for windproof gloves and they are, but they are also decent in a light rain. I haven't ridden them in anything more yet.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46