Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Grand Haven cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is anyone familiar with biking in the Grand Haven area of Michigan? I am planning a trip there with my sisters (who are non cyclists) however they would like to do a day or half day of riding. We are looking for something for beginners and scenic. Any thoughts out there on some bike path rides? Has anyone had experience with bike rentals in the area?

Information would be much appreciated, thank you!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

There is a trail (4.5 miles) at Hofma Preserve just outside of Grand Haven Township . I have never been there, but it is described as 'easy to difficult'. 'Trails are ungroomed, wide and well marked. The terrain is relatively flat'. Found this info in 'Michigan's Bicycle Trails'. Hope this helps.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Paved paths or something more suitable for a mountain bike or hybrid? There is a paved path around Spring Lake (just across the bridge from Grand Haven). About 12 miles around and very nice. There are some fairly sizable, rolling hills, though.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I just noticed this is posted in mid-Atlantic. You might find more response in North Central (though I wish this were renamed to Midwest...I don't know anyone who refers to the Midwest as North Central, even though that is a relatively more accurate descriptor).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

There is a paved bike path that goes from Grand Haven south to Holland (about 20 miles one way). It's a nice ride and follows a road called Lakeshore Drive.

As far as bike rentals go, you can contact Rock N Road--they do a lot of rentals of bikes and trailers. They also have maps for popular bike routes available.

I'm a Grand Haven native so if you have more questions, feel free to PM me.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Paved paths or something more suitable for a mountain bike or hybrid? There is a paved path around Spring Lake (just across the bridge from Grand Haven). About 12 miles around and very nice. There are some fairly sizable, rolling hills, though.
    The fun thing about this path is that you can ride your bike over the draw bridge that connects Grand Haven and Spring Lake. It will put you right on the bike path.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Wow ladies, thanks for the information. Yes I would be looking for paved paths over road or dirt trails as both of my sisters are older than I am and bike novices so roads and dirt might intimidate them. This will be strictly leisure and sightseeing type of riding so the path that Zoom Zoom and Limewave suggests sounds like it might be the ticket. Thanks for the heads up on the bike rental shop. We plan to go next month and when it gets closer I may take you up on the PM suggestion.

I agree that Michigan would be better suited to Midwest but didn't see that catagory and there used to be a trucking company here called Middle Atlantic and as a kid I remember seeing alll their trucks up and down the roads so...
    Bike Writer

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I just noticed this is posted in mid-Atlantic. You might find more response in North Central (though I wish this were renamed to Midwest...I don't know anyone who refers to the Midwest as North Central, even though that is a relatively more accurate descriptor).
    I agree....Midwest has always seemed kind of weird to me....and you are right North central is a more accurate description of our location...... IMO Michigan (and surrounding states) should be classified as "Great Lakes Region".

I was confused as to where MI would be classed when I first joined TE also.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Trek-chick View Post
    I agree....Midwest has always seemed kind of weird to me....and you are right North central is a more accurate description of our location...... IMO Michigan (and surrounding states) should be classified as "Great Lakes Region".

I once had someone not from MI argue with me that MI is not part of the Midwest. I was all, "duh, I think I know where I live!" Any state in the Big 10 (11?) is most certainly part of the midwest, even if we are closer to East than we are to West. It's as much cultural as it is geographical!

I agree about the Great Lakes classification, though.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Trek-chick View Post

I didn't get it either about where we should be classified but agree with the "great lakes region" as a better indicator. I also agree that "midwest" is more about cultural similarities than geography.
    Bike Writer

When I joined TE in 2006 there was no Mid-Atlantic thread; we had to try to choose between South East and North East, with neither being truly suitable
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Did you ever make it out to Grand Haven?
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

I'll have to pull out a map to find Grand Haven. But I'm over on the east side of MI for a week. About 75 miles north of Saginaw. Anyone up for a road trip and a bike ride?

I did a century in the Midland (near Saginaw) area that advertises that it is the flattest century in Michigan. I kinda prefer hills and some curves though.

Not all who wander are lost

It's pretty flat here as well. And WINDY today! I don't think my bike will see the sunshine until tomorrow.