Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OMG look what I found for my new speed plays! the best of two worlds:
    2012 Speedplay platformers!! LOL.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...6330.31.1.html
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Update: today I went for my first ride with the new Speedplay Light pedals and I came to the conclusion that the problem is not the pedals, is the piece behind the saddle I caught myself again doing the same mistake: completely stopped, me standing over the top tube, right leg unclipped, on the floor and then again I moved the left leg like it was unclipped making me loose balance and control of the bike by shifting the bike to the left with my body weight. BUT, I moved the bike handlebars immediately to the right side which prevented the fall. At least that's good but after the incident I was nervous and lost my confidence completely. Needless to say (but I will say it) that after a few minutes, I walked back to my car with my "tail" between my legs like a doggie running away. Tomorrow I'll try it again
    Last edited by Maye; 04-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

You'll get it! Lord knows if I can, you can.

BTW, I'm getting a set of those Speedplay platforms so I can ride my bike to the gym, just two miles from home, and wear my regular sneakers. Thanks for the link.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    You'll get it! Lord knows if I can, you can.

BTW, I'm getting a set of those Speedplay platforms so I can ride my bike to the gym, just two miles from home, and wear my regular sneakers. Thanks for the link.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence

I'm getting the platforms via mail, hopefully tomorrow. They look cool and practical.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Me too. I am usually a spaz when it comes to things like this. Cycling is my only athletic ability I ever had. If I can master it, believe me so can you.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I haven't posted this because I didn't want to be discouraging, but let me just throw out there (in case anyone else hasn't) the idea that you don't HAVE to ride with clipless pedals. If you really feel like you need to, then sure, have at it, but if it continues to cause you FEAR and STRESS, then do you really need to add that complication to your life? There have been threads in the past with links to studies that show that clipless pedals do not necessarily offer the speed/power benefits that everyone thinks they do. Just decide if it is really worth it to you to continue pursuing it and proceed accordingly. Good luck with whichever!

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    I haven't posted this because I didn't want to be discouraging, but let me just throw out there (in case anyone else hasn't) the idea that you don't HAVE to ride with clipless pedals. If you really feel like you need to, then sure, have at it, but if it continues to cause you FEAR and STRESS, then do you really need to add that complication to your life? There have been threads in the past with links to studies that show that clipless pedals do not necessarily offer the speed/power benefits that everyone thinks they do. Just decide if it is really worth it to you to continue pursuing it and proceed accordingly. Good luck with whichever!
    Hi Grits!
    I just want to give them one more chance and practice a little bit more. If I can see that they are causing me more stress than what is worth, I'll buy a good set of BMX pedals and back to platforms. I really love cycling. I'm just a little bit stubborn
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Quote Originally Posted by Maye View Post
    Update: today I went for my first ride with the new Speedplay Light pedals and I came to the conclusion that the problem is not the pedals, is the piece behind the saddle I caught myself again doing the same mistake: completely stopped, me standing over the top tube, right leg unclipped, on the floor and then again I moved the left leg like it was unclipped making me loose balance and control of the bike by shifting the bike to the left with my body weight. BUT, I moved the bike handlebars immediately to the right side which prevented the fall. At least that's good but after the incident I was nervous and lost my confidence completely. Needless to say (but I will say it) that after a few minutes, I walked back to my car with my "tail" between my legs like a doggie running away. Tomorrow I'll try it again
    There is muscle memory involved. The more you do it right, the more it will be an instinct to do it right. So, you really had a good experience -- you did it right and you didn't fall.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It does take time to train/retrain our muscle memory. The main reason I clip in on the road is that my knees are far happier with me than when I do not...

Try this in a big, quiet, flat paved area:

Put a flat (regular) pedal on the left side for this practice.

1. As you roll forward, push the right pedal forward until it is all the way down.

2. Stand up with the weight on your right foot.

3. Brake to slow

4. Take your left foot off the flat pedal and place it on the ground.

5. While stopped, move your right foot to the up position (back pedal)

6. Push your right foot down to get going again

7. Put your weight on the right pedal, standing

8. Put your left foot back on the left pedal.

Repeat.

Do this until you are comfortable with this action, and then replace the flat pedal with a clipped, and practice again, this time unclipping the left.

It is far better (in my opinion) to clip out to the left in traffic. At a stoplight, if you are clipping out on the right, you are leaning to the right, often very close to the curb, where drivers don't really "see" you. I make sure, when I am approaching a light, to get as much in the lane as possible and clip out to the left so that the drivers know I am there.
    I can do five more miles.

Indigoiis:
    Thanks for the advice. This sounds like a good strategy that I will test. Maybe I should learn to clip/unclip one side first(right side, since that's my dominant leg, I know, I know, it might be dangerous) and keep using the flat pedal (left) until I master the right side and then add the left side until I dominate both. Good plan?? I'm liking the idea of being one side clipper, though. I'm planning to do this with with MTB shoes (recessed cleats) and clipless pedal (right side only) on the road bike. I want to take the stress of slipping and falling to the pavement because I'm using my road shoes with cleats. The less things that I have to worry about the better. I know I will laugh about these posts in the future Once I "graduate", I will move to road shoes and pedals. For know back to basics and one feet at a time.
    Last edited by Maye; 04-04-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Changed sides of the clipped feet. I found out my dominant leg,the right :-)
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Indigoiis, that is a good, simple way to think of it. I've been following this thread closely because i am just learning to clip in too.
    Question...when taking off from a stop, you pedal forward with the clipped in foot, raise yourself, stand...are you trying to clip in the left foot before you sit down?
    In my mind, that is how i see it working, but in reality, I keep missing the pedal. Then I sit down and just keep fumbling for the pedal. I know it is fine to pedal a bit not clipped, and I am doing that at busy intersections until I get more confident. But I guess I am not really sure of the true motion that I should be shooting for....

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    Indigoiis, that is a good, simple way to think of it. I've been following this thread closely because i am just learning to clip in too.
    Question...when taking off from a stop, you pedal forward with the clipped in foot, raise yourself, stand...are you trying to clip in the left foot before you sit down?
    In my mind, that is how i see it working, but in reality, I keep missing the pedal. Then I sit down and just keep fumbling for the pedal. I know it is fine to pedal a bit not clipped, and I am doing that at busy intersections until I get more confident. But I guess I am not really sure of the true motion that I should be shooting for....
    Sit down on the saddle immediately after pushing off with the clipped-in foot, so you're seated while you clip in the other foot. You will be more stable while seated.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    Welcome to my struggles in the clip-less world!! I'm VERY stubborn so I'll learn this no matter what :-).
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

I agree with GRITS post about not riding clip-less. I have been away from riding for the past 5 years or so and only recently returned, but I have serious balance issues(<~click on this thread link and you will see ) and riding clip-less turned out to leave me with a hematoma and lots of scars....

I ended up with the Shimano pedals that you can clip in on one side, and ride platform on the other. I ending up always riding platform and to this day, do not ride clip-less. I for one do not regret this, nor do I find I am a weaker rider, as I thought I would be.

Good luck to you - no matter how you end up riding, at least you ride!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo