Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First ride on my new 29er

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's a Beast! We rode 11 miles single track, it will roll over anything. I had so much fun, could not stop grinning

I have a short inseam (28) and the medium was a perfect fit, more stand over than my old trek 4300.

I took the 4300 into the shop and let them switch out the pedals, had them weigh both bikes:

Trek 4300 (26) 29.6
    Trek Cali SL (29) 28.6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek 29er.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	16142

Quote Originally Posted by Lisaknex View Post
    It's a Beast! We rode 11 miles single track, it will roll over anything. I had so much fun, could not stop grinning

I have a short inseam (28) and the medium was a perfect fit, more stand over than my old trek 4300.

I took the 4300 into the shop and let them switch out the pedals, had them weigh both bikes:

Trek 4300 (26) 29.6
    Trek Cali SL (29) 28.6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek 29er.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	16142
    Thanks for the review! How tall are you overall if I may ask? I have a short inseam, too, and the Cali appears to offer one of the lowest standovers I've seen--for both 26ers and 29ers. How did it handle compared to your 4300? What kind of trails do your ride?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I am 5.4 with short legs and a long torso. I am more of a road bike rider and never felt very comfortable on technical trails. The two bikes are like night and day. I felt like the 29er was eating the trail! I rode over logs / drops that i would walk with the 4300.

We have a lot of SORBA Trails around my area, one of the reasons I wanted a new bike. We rode 11 miles just under 2 hours, trails are a combination of tight and twisty and up and down, a couple of log crossing and a rock garden. I rode it all clipped in
    Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the Cali.

Lisa

I am 5.4 with short legs and a long torso. I am more of a road bike rider and never felt very comfortable on technical trails. The two bikes are like night and day. I felt like the 29er was eating the trail! I rode over logs / drops that i would walk with the 4300.

We have a lot of SORBA Trails around my area, one of the reasons I wanted a new bike. We rode 11 miles just under 2 hours, trails are a combination of tight and twisty and up and down, a couple of log crossing and a rock garden. I rode it all clipped in
    Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the Cali.

Lisa
    Thanks for the additonal info! I am SO not in the market for a 29er (I have a perfectly lovely Santa Cruz Juliana 26er), but it's nice to know that one exists out there that I could get my relatively short legs over (I'm 5'4 with a 29 inch inseam). I wish I could demo one just to see the difference. My husband rides a 29er and trying to keep up with him is difficult.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Thanks for the input, Lisa. I'm still hesitant to give up my '03 Klein dualie 26'er, although my DH made the switch last year to a Trek 29er, which he loves and says I should get one for the reasons you cited (rolling over everything that I'd normally walk). I'm taller, 5'8", but my Klein is a medium that fits me like a glove and I'm very much at home on it (even tho' I walk some things - mainly due to my own cowardice and the fact that I just don't ride it much). I rode my DH's size L Trek for about 10 minutes on one trail, and I felt like I was a mile up in the air. I felt very top heavy and not as "planted" as I felt on my 26'er. Did you ever get that feeling? DH said it goes away after about 15 minutes of riding and playing around on it (and likely better if I were on a bike more my size).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Thanks for the input, Lisa. I'm still hesitant to give up my '03 Klein dualie 26'er, although my DH made the switch last year to a Trek 29er, which he loves and says I should get one for the reasons you cited (rolling over everything that I'd normally walk). I'm taller, 5'8", but my Klein is a medium that fits me like a glove and I'm very much at home on it (even tho' I walk some things - mainly due to my own cowardice and the fact that I just don't ride it much). I rode my DH's size L Trek for about 10 minutes on one trail, and I felt like I was a mile up in the air. I felt very top heavy and not as "planted" as I felt on my 26'er. Did you ever get that feeling? DH said it goes away after about 15 minutes of riding and playing around on it (and likely better if I were on a bike more my size).
    I put both bikes side by side and the Cali seat/handle bar is only half an inch taller. I did try out the large size and I felt like I was way up in the air. Not so with the medium.

I noticed a big difference with the ground covered per pedal stroke, I kept running up behind my boyfriend! Surprised us both

Edit: he is riding a 26

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I noticed a big difference with the ground covered per pedal stroke, I kept running up behind my boyfriend! Surprised us both

Edit: he is riding a 26
    Yeah - we have the opposite problem now - he rolls away from me at a faster rate than usual and I'm huffing and puffing trying to keep up!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Congrats on your new bike! You are totally beaming!
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)