Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brandy suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I find that beer doesn't agree with me these days. In past years I've enjoyed a touch of brandy in tea, but it's not been my habit since discovering that I really enjoy a good stout. I want to pick up some brandy for my pantry, but am stuck with all of the choices in the store, and I don't know how to choose. I've taken to drinking chocolate yerbe matte and peppermint yerbe matte more than actual tea, and am looking for brandy recommendations. Also wondering if a good peppermint schnapps might be a good alternative. I know I USED to like blackberry brandy in black tea, unsure that would go well with matte, it is just so different

I hate wasting money on something I can't return if I don't like it - and I don't see a local bar stocking matte just so I can experiment So do we have any brandy lovers who also like matte with an opinion? I am pretty sure that schnapps is actually fruit brandy, and I've found in the past that I've preferred brandy made from fruit other than grapes. (OMG, our former priest made the most incredible brandy out of wild cherries!!!!!!)

Just doing my part to be ready for the cold winter

Make your own. It's easy.

I made peach schnapps but you will find recipes/methods here for many fruits.

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/peach.html
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Make your own. It's easy.

I made peach schnapps but you will find recipes/methods here for many fruits.

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/peach.html
    Who knew it was so easy, thanks for the link! I see some experimentation in my future!

ooooooo - it's not brandy per se, but a little dollop of Amaretto in tea is marvelous.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

That sounds yummy Eden

Little bit of good rum is amazing in all kinds of warm drinks. Black tea, fruity herb tea, spice tea, hot cider, hot cocoa, hot buttered rum you just add water, sugar and butter. It's all good with rum! You can get 10 Cane most places nowadays, or Zacapa is a favorite of mine that isn't as much of a bargain as it used to be, other people must have discovered it, or higher up the price range is 5 star Barbancourt if you can get it (it really is worth the extra money for the 5 star).

I don't know a thing about brandy either.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sounds good Oak, I had forgotten about rum. If it is good with all of that then it would likely be good with either the mocha or peppermint matte. Just looking for a dollop of something warm on a cold winter's evening, or chilly fall night. I don't, usually, like whiskey of any variety but over the the years I've enjoyed the occasion rum drink or brandy in tea (the only way I've had it). I am glad I asked!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Zacapa is a favorite of mine that isn't as much of a bargain as it used to be, other people must have discovered it...
    My brother bought us a bottle just before the price jacked. Bummer, it's really good stuff.

Add me to the ranks of people who have issues with beer, nowadays. If I drink more than one it really messes with my gut. It's a bummer, since I love a good IPA or 3, but sometimes even 1 is 1 too many. I've switched to dry hard ciders a lot when I want something a little fizzy.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

You might also like port. I like the late bottle vintage, but there are many to choose from...even chocolate.

Thanks Snap! I think I tried port a few years back when I was also experimenting with sherry. As I remember I liked both, well, some of what I tried of both. I didn't have the slightest idea what brands were good and limited myself to what they sell at Trader Joe's.

I checked out the price online on Zacapa rum and my jaw dropped! I know people will pay even more for good spirits, but I wasn't expecting to see $75 a bottle ON SALE!

I think that I need to find a hipster drinking establishment and conduct a couple of experiments with different types of booze in warm drinks to see what I like best. Not all at the same time, of course I've never really frequented bars so am unsure how common it is to find hot drinks available, but the internet will be my friend on this research.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I checked out the price online on Zacapa rum ... $75 a bottle ON SALE!.
    I wouldn't even have mentioned it had I known it had gone that high!! Sorry! Last time I saw any it was like $45 or $50. Wish I'd stocked up when it was $30 ......
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I haven't tried it yet, but I recently heard about cinnamon schnapps. I was considering trying it in tea or hot chocolate. The coworker who told me about it overindulged in straight shots, so he wasn't really in a position to offer suggestions for a more "civilized" way to imbibe

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    You might also like port. I like the late bottle vintage, but there are many to choose from...even chocolate.
    I hear you Snap, we love Port! There's always a bottle of Otima 10 in our cabinet.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I checked out the price online on Zacapa rum and my jaw dropped! I know people will pay even more for good spirits, but I wasn't expecting to see $75 a bottle ON SALE!
    Yeah, my brother (a booze/beer snob) said that when he first discovered Zacapa it was <$50/bottle...this was less than a decade ago.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I've an hour long, no rest, KB endurance lifting charity event tomorrow...I am going to visit a liquor store tonight for some rum. I think a warming hot drink when I get home for the day tomorrow will be ample reward for my efforts :-) I will also look into both Port and Amaretto, just not at the same time ;-)