Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dumped the cable

To disable ads, please log-in.

Actually I dumped AT&T Uverse tv - still have the internet. I did like it, and enjoyed the DVR, but I finally realized that almost everything I watch I can get on either NetFlix or Hulu...then I found a wireless internet video streaming device that works with both services and my Bravia tv...and pulled the trigger and plug

I've spent most of my adult life without cable and it felt quite freeing to do this. I can still get weather and news on the internet and as it turns out, there are quite a lot of services available to me through this device. I have three free months with Hulu, and a free month of Netflix, but even if I were paying for both it would be less than a third of what I was paying for AT&T Uverse.

More money for bike stuff and more time for productive things - like riding, hiking, reading, and needlework

I thought that this might be of interest to someone else who might be considering the same thing. Of course you need a decent internet speed to make it worthwhile but still...

I've never had cable - it's never been worth the expense. Most of the shows I watched were available with bunny ears. I do use hulu a lot lately.

My little brother got me a bluetooth player with a network connection for Christmas - so I can stream hulu and various other things on it.

I do have dslr, but it is incredibly slow. I've been trying to upload a video to youtube for about the last 20 hours. It's only 85% done. Of course, noone is going to watch my 15 min video, even the people that are in it - but I'm too far to cancel it now!

Yikes, that IS slow! At least you are close to it being completed, relatively speaking. I think that there is local interference. I was quite pleased with how easy it was to set up the internet media streaming device I purchased - I have had problems with wireless sometimes but it was easy to set up.

One of these days I suppose I'll buy a TV.

At the moment, though, I don't really see the point; and I certainly don't see the point to buying cable.

Just about everything I want is available on the internet or on DVD through Netflix.

I haven't tried Hulu. I think I tried once, but my computer is too old to handle it. (just like it's too old to handle streaming from Netflix)

It's funny, but my iPod is able to handle what my computer can't! I've watched streaming Netflix on my iPod a couple times now.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm addicted to "Big Love." There, I said it. After this season I can let go of HBO.

American motorcycle racing isn't even worth watching any more. MotoGP is available commercial free and with better commentary online. Through last season, Americans couldn't legally get World Superbike/World Supersport without subscribing to SpeedTV (but there were ways to get around that... and I don't know what streaming options they have on their website).

I really don't follow bici racing, but you all probably know better than I do where to get your viddy fix without TV...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-09-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: ACK! I can't believe I put an apostrophe there!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a satelitte dish which I love. Most of what I actually watch is live sports events and that you can't really get without satelitte or cable and I much prefer satelitte, plus the package I have you can't get with cable anyway and it's something I totally love. We upgraded to the top Dish Network level so we could get VS tv channel to watch IRL and Tour De France and hockey. Also Speed Channel is the only place we can watch Formula One, and we need the DVR for that since getting up at 6am is too early. Then again I also hate my internet/phone company, it's unreliable, which is bad since I need it for work.

I don't have cable at the apartment because I don't want to pay for it. There are a few things I like watching when I'm at my parents' house (Mythbusters, for one!), but not that much.

I really should get a radio. It would make getting weather and news in the morning that much easier. (My computer takes forever to boot up.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Congrats, Catrin. I don't have cable either right now.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

We recently bought our son a TV with the stuff you describe (internet streaming video device), as like you, he has internet/wireless, but no cable. He loves it! Especially since they were watching movies on the computer screen, which was a pain for 2 people.
    I have cable, but none of the "extra" channels, like HBO. DH keeps threatening to cancel the cable, but I do watch the Tour and other bike races on VS, as well as CNN, and let's not forget HGTV.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Congratulations, Catrin. You can watch shows online, including HGTV. I watched a great House Hunters International episode last night online. It may not be the most current episode, but I don't know that, so who cares?

I watch the occasional L&O/House/Bones on Hulu, and the other night I watched The Way We Were on crackle.com.

I have not had true TV in years. I knit and listen to Old Time Radio alot. And read. It's much more satisfying than TV in my opinion. When I do want to veg out in front of a TV, I watch it online. But I normally have better things to do.

Last year, for the TdF, I subscribed to Versus online coverage for something like $30. It sure beats the price of cable all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Last year, for the TdF, I subscribed to Versus online coverage for something like $30. It sure beats the price of cable all year long.
    Ooooo! I didn't know you could do that! I would love to do that and watch Hockey!!

my husband and I got rid of our cable (which he had only for a year or so - and I was not brought up in a house that had cable, and TV was not relied on for entertainment)...and we have never regretted it. sure, we LOVE to watch stuff at friends' and family's homes...but we mostly just watch a lot of stuff online. Also, we're readers. And I knit, too! Also, Netflix's streaming plan is only $8 or $9 a month...and they have a pretty good selection (and getting better, I hear!).

Congrats!!! you will have more money and time for better things!
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite/stock Riva
    2010 Jamis Durango 1 Femme
    2006 Diamondback Wildwood (gift from my mother-in-law, so I must keep it! It is really comfy to ride)
    1996 Raleigh M-20 (got my love for cycling going!)

[bump]

I am looking into alternatives to cable TV. I was content with what I had, an HD-DVR from the only cable/internet provider that is available in my neighborhood. Until last month when they started to pelt me with warnings that technological changes on their end would cause me to lose HD channels if I did not get a new HD-DVR.

[yada yada multiple phones calls to "customer service" where I got transferred around and every person I spoke to gave me a different answer yada yada yada.]

New box was installed on Monday morning and I hate hate hate it. They have added all sorts of features that I do not need and will never use. In the process they have made it harder to do basic things. Actions that used to required one press of a button on the remote now require multiple button presses to drill down through various menus. Stupid changes like before when you pressed "Last" it took you to the last channel you watched but now it just brings up a list of channels with channels I literally have never seen in my life on the left and the last one I was watching all the way over the on the right where my eyes go last. To say that I have no patience for this kind of thing is an understatement. I don't know who they designed these "upgrades" for but from where I'm sitting they have taken away a product that me my needs and replaced with a product that absolutely does not meet my needs. I am so annoyed that I haven't tried to watch TV since the new box was installed.

So I am looking into cutting the cord, seeing if I can still watch the shows I want to watch without the cable company, and without spending more than I spend now (saving a little $$ would be a nice bonus).

I have a relatively old HDTV, purchased 9 years ago. So it's not a smart TV. I have internet with wifi. The router has been acting up lately so I am willing to buy a new one; I know the one I have now is not the most advanced type available. The modem is new.

Channels I watch most often: TCM, local broadcast channels, PBS including reruns of Masterpiece Mystery (i.e., Morse, Lewis, Wallender, George Gently) on an all-British-programming PBS station, FX, Food Network, Comedy Central, NBC Sports for Formula 1 racing. There are other channels I watch occasionally like TNT, USA, AMC, plus CNBC when F1 coverage gets kicked over there due to conflicts on NBS Sports.

I rarely watch shows in real time -- I record almost everything on the DVR. I am usually not home or asleep when the shows I want to watch are on. Sometimes I save favorite shows indefinitely on the DVR so I can watch them again months or years later.

From my research so far, it looks like I will need a streaming device like Roku, plus subscriptions to things like Hulu, Netflix, SlingTV, Playstation Vue. It looks like CBS requires its own subscription and I may need to become a member of a local PBS station. Maybe I need a digital antenna, though I don't know if that will do much for me since I don't typically watch things when they are broadcast. I must say I'm finding the websites for the streaming services to be less than helpful in terms of the details of what they offer. And I can't tell yet if I need a DVR (either Tivo or a cloud DVR service) or if everything I want would be available on demand.

I am anti-Amazon, so will consider their streaming hardware and services as a last resort only. I'm not wild about using Google products for this either, since I feel like they already know too much about me (okay yes I'm a bit crazy-paranoid). I currently have no Apple products.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice? Thanks!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Before we moved to the condo, where we have to have cable, we had a digital antenna for HD and Apple TV. The Apple TV was complicated for me to use. I mostly watch network news, anyway, and a couple of shows, so I didn't care. We did have cable internet and phone.
    Now that we have cable, I am enjoying having it, watching more HGTV and a John Oliver, Bill Mahr when the shows actually air. I could live without it, though. No DVR. We had one 2 houses ago and it never got used. We just don't watch much TV and go to bed early!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We dumped out cable when we sold our house in 2013, we've been saving intensely for retirement so we never got any streaming stuff. We use a Mohu Leaf to get over the air channels and it works fine unless it's storming or windy. What we've found is once you adjust to life without tons of media you end up reading more or watching DVD's.

Our condo in FL comes with cable as part of our fees, but I find it almost overwhelming, there are so many channels, and we end up with 3-4 different remotes to juggle. It just makes me anxious, although I do love TCM.

Electra Townie 7D

I dumped cable long ago, though to be fair I've gone between having cable and not for 30 years. My current solution of rabbit ears and a wired connection between my Roku and wifi router works very well. I highly recommend a wired connection as that will always be both more stable and faster. At least at the present time.

For content I've rabbit years, Amazon Prime, Curiosity Stream (a $5 month Roku channel with a nice range of documentaries - some of which are quite good) and a $7 month limited access to Great Courses Plus via Amazon (add on channel - provides access to over 100 college level courses and there are enough that interest me it's worth it). I also usually have an Acorn channel (either Roku or Prime add on channel) for 4.99, just not right now.

The Roku has quite a lot of free content. That with the above works for me well. Frankly I've little time for tv and I am happy with the above. Taichi, reading, and other things take most of my "free" time.