Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

The few times I have been out so far, with the exception of one, I was alone. In two (separate incidences) of those cases there was a creepy dude walking on the tote road where I was riding.

Makes you ride faster.

I used to hike and climb before I got into biking. Same rules apply. Go out prepared for the worst.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    Even though your area may not get cell reception ... it doesn't hurt to have one just in case ... sometimes reception can be intermittent. Great tip from recent women's clinic is get a good whistle to attach to the shoulder of your camelback. If you are hurt to the point you can't get the camelback off your back, the whistle is right close to blow for signaling other riders/hikers in the area.

Just a thought ... do I have my whistle yet? No, but it's on my list.

PJ
    That's why a SPOT is a good thing. I've even used it when driving by myself through remote areas in potentially bad weather.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ight=satellite
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

i consider myself lucky to have an awesome group of friends (including the hubby) who collectively have an awesome group of bikes. we head out together a couple times a week, so i'm rarely riding alone.

and on the rare occassions none of my playmates can come, i ride with Maya the Dog.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't mountain bike but for several years I did cycle commute daily in non-snowy weather to and from work (16 kms. 1 way) where over 10 kms. of the ride was very early in the morning, quite isolated with blend of paved paths plus woods in a series of interconnected ravine parks. Admittedly I would be riding quickly.

I am like another poster that doesn't have many friends or people around that would notice if I was ...well...in trouble.

The Findmespot thing looks like a great idea for people like me, especially now that I'm going to be traveling a little more and a long ride across the USA. That way I can have people check on me and if I'm not moving I might be in trouble. Pretty cheap for feeling really safe.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    Go out prepared for the worst.
    Sage advice! I do wear my Road ID, carry my cell, and the Spot.

Pretty much what TahoeDirtGirl said, but --

I do ride alone, and in fact have come to enjoy it. I like being able to go my own pace and do my own thing. That being said, when I'm alone, I go to trails that I know well and that tend to be pretty busy.

I haven't really ever worried about creepy people; since I try to go to places where there's a lot of traffic, I would expect that to be a deterrent. Or if someone did actually approach me, I would expect another person to encounter us shortly.

I bring just about every tool I can fit in my Camelbak; if I can't fix it, I figure someone else will. This also helps my bike karma, since I can let others on the trail use my stuff when they get stuck =)

I also always bring my cell phone; it may or may not work out there, but it's worth a shot.

Even if you don't live with people who would notice your absence, I would imagine you could set something up with a co-worker or friend -- tell them where you'll be and tell them you'll call them by some set time.
    monique

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    That's why a SPOT is a good thing. I've even used it when driving by myself through remote areas in potentially bad weather.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ight=satellite
    What is a SPOT?

Um, clicking on links is your friend???
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

That thing (Spot) is a little spendy for me, who doesn't leave cell coverage area very often. But it would be good to have when I'm cycling alone in Vermont in September. Just can't justify a whole year for one month worth of use.

Karen

I don't have a road ID though, I took one of my expired Driver's licenses and put post its on the back with phone numbers for my dad (who is 400 miles away), for my friend (who is in the area) and for the soon to be ex husband (who can't be far enough away at 3000 miles). I stuff it in my camelbak incase I get hurt and at least they know who I am.

If I go on a really long ride, I leave a map in my car with where I'm going. Although here in Mass, I really don't know where I'm going on the trail so I try to sketch something out if I know ahead of time and leave it with someone. I usually msg a friend of mine before I take off and then when I get back to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeDirtGirl View Post
    I don't have a road ID though, I took one of my expired Driver's licenses and put post its on the back with phone numbers for my dad (who is 400 miles away), for my friend (who is in the area) and for the soon to be ex husband (who can't be far enough away at 3000 miles). I stuff it in my camelbak incase I get hurt and at least they know who I am.

If I go on a really long ride, I leave a map in my car with where I'm going. Although here in Mass, I really don't know where I'm going on the trail so I try to sketch something out if I know ahead of time and leave it with someone. I usually msg a friend of mine before I take off and then when I get back to my car.
    May I suggest wearing a Road ID or something similar? An ID on a wrist or dog tag is more likely to be found than something stuffed away in a pocket or bag, especially if you're not conscious or can't be moved. A driver's license or insurance card is great back-up though, and I do keep a copy of each in my seat bag.

I love the map idea- I may need to start using that one!

If I can't find friends to ride with, I usually head to the mountain because I find mountain biking really fun and therapeutic when I'm by myself. Also empowering. Even with creepers, in I feel pretty safe and confident as long as I'm on my bike. It sucks that as women we have the extra fear of violence... as if there aren't enough hinderances to keep us from cycling as much as the men!

As far as injury and mechanicals, I carry my cell-phone and the trails I ride are pretty well-ridden and not too remote (Galbraith Mountain in Bellingham, WA), so usually other riders come along quickly if I were to have a problem.

i tend to ride alone, because of scheduling, and my own training plans...

i try to not do too technical, or i leave a note on my dash board that i am on the trails and will be back at a certain time...
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

I will have to find a road ID, you are right, it's better than rifling through my bag to find out what happened, and as in the case of my friend who dirt bikes, he was launched off of his bike and knocked out. Some kids took off with his backpack. He woke up and do you think they called help? A very extreme example but you're right. I should have something on me.

I keep forgetting to put a copy of my insurance card in there too.

The map thing is something I learned in a wilderness guide class a while ago. Always leave a map in your car (not where people can read it walking by but folded on the seat) so if something happens someone can find you. A couple of years ago a guy was mtn biking in Tahoe and it was in Oct. He either fell and hit his head or just wrecked and lost his bearings. He wasn't that far from the trailhead but he died from exposure and couldn't be found until spring. I just don't want that to happen to me.

Yesterday when I was riding I realized how far out I go and what kind of creepy people could be lurking behind the trees. I don't know how to explain it but I always feel like someone is looking out for me. Not something you want to rely on, but yes, it's sad that women have to be doubly concerned being by themselves. I guess I'm too hardheaded to let that stop me. I have to agree with some of the other posters tho, I ride most of the time alone and I love it because it's so therapeutic!