Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, if you are turning right onto Great Rd. from Strawberry Hill and then you need to make an immediate left onto Brooks St. (by Donelan's), you need to either stop at the sign and wait until you can get right out into the lane to turn, without hesitation, or if you can see that there's no car closely approaching on 2A when you are coming to the stop, just book it, and get out there! If you are just turning right on 2A there's a pretty big shoulder there. You can't hug the right side in the first situation. If you are out in the lane well ahead of the turn or stop, I can't imagine someone just running you over! And stick your arm out and sort of shake it, pointing with your finger as you are getting in the lane. It gives the drivers some idea of your intention. Sometimes, I think they just aren't sure what we are going to do; they don't see bikes as vehicles and are surprised when we act as one. Now, that woman sounded like a real azzhole, but, I have found most around here are not.
    As far as the Rt. 27 goes, I am not sure if you were on 27, turning onto Newtown (the one by the library). It must have been Newtown, as Hammond is off of there and you mentioned that. Or, were you waiting at Newtown, to turn left on 27? That is an intersection I avoid at all costs, except on weekends, early in the AM. You could die waiting to get across there. It's even worse in the car. I don't really like riding on 27; I do it, but usually just little parts. It is safer and easier to either cross or turn at Nagog Hill, and then you can cut through one of the neighborhoods to get over to Newtown. I have a friend who lives in that area, and I would have never known about those streets if I didn't go to her house.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by m.eliza View Post
    I looked over my left shoulder and saw a car approaching maybe 50 yards behind me, so I moved into the middle of the lane. This woman deliberately went alllll the way into the left lane to pass me, then swerved back in front of me, missing me by about a foot so she could beat me to the stop sign. I'm hoping this was a rare occurence. She didn't seem like a typical safe driver -- cigarette in one hand, cell phone in the other. I don't think she even noticed when I flipped her the bird, rested my front wheel on her rear bumper and stared daggers into her rear-view mirror while she waited to turn.
    Unfortunately, this is not at all uncommon. In fact, the driver will often end up stopping at the stop sign in the opposite travel lane, if you can believe it, since he'll misjudge your speed, and his ability to get in front of you before the intersection. I usually just shake my head in disbelief. Often there will be oncoming cars that will make a better point of being annoyed than anything we can do on a bike. Sadly, our gestures are reacted to with everything from laughter to rage, so use them wisely (and most often, that means not at all, just in case the driver is a psycho or drunk).

Around here (I'm also in New England) logic doesn't always prevail, and taking the lane doesn't always work like it should. Your best bet (do still take the lane!) is to be ready to react by being able to do an emergency stop or turn. You won't need to do it often, but a couple of times in the just this past year, being able to stop and turn quickly probably saved me and my bike from major damage. There's a lot of info in this book about how to do it:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Urban-Cycl.../dp/0762727837
    Last edited by redrhodie; 09-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Needless to say, when i need to cross really dangerous intersections, I may choose to simply get off my bike and temporarily become a pedestrian. It's not worth my life.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^