Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Welcome. My road bike is a used Trek 2000 I bought at a local beach bike store this past July.

Welcome! We do not boo women riding bikes. Never. Ever!

This is a great forum, and it is rather addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    This is a great forum, and it is rather addictive
    "Addictive" is an understatement! I have to get my TE fix at least twice a day because I learn & laugh soooooo much reading this forum

ETA: In fact, reading this forum is what gave me the idea to buy an older bicycle & update it. I ended up with a much nicer bike than I could have afforded had I purchased a new one. And, I got a like-new saddle of my dreams at a great price from another TE'er on the trading board.
    Last edited by Artista; 01-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

My first "grown up" bike was a Magna mountain bike from Target. Put a lot of miles on it before it was stolen. My next bike (some ten years later) came from Sports Authority and was near your price range. We shared thousands of happy miles together before I realized she was too small for me. Also, I had been reading TE long enough to start coveting a road bike--a better road bike. If you stick around long enough, you'll eventually succumb to bike envy and an upgrade is likely to follow...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by happinesshill View Post
    Will I be "Boo'ed" out of the forum for this post?
    Nope
    Actually the title of the thread brought back some memories and made me smile...
    Several years ago when I entered specialty school, I was in a world pretty much new to me where I had to learn how to live on a budget.
    I figured that living close to the hospital and spending about a year car-free was a good way to build some savings for the next few years and start over. I went to WalMart and purchased the cheapest bike available that would fit me. I think it was something like $ 44 at the time, and believe me I had to save for it.
    It was black, had a big decal 'roadmaster' and looked like a hardtail mountain bike or something of that kind. Granted - I grew up in Europe with Bianchi and Campagnolo, so I had no idea what a mountain bike would look like and much less I knew how to use a flat bar bike.
    By average cyclist standard, it was for sure one ugly bike - but it took me back and forth to the hospital and anywhere for almost a year, night or day, rain or shine, sometimes with loads of groceries or with a few huge and heavy pathology books in the backpack.

A year later life was normalizing, sort of, I purchased a car and a used Bianchi that I knew how to ride and put the Wally-World bike in the garage and pretty much forgot about it.
    At some point, we had someone remodel our outside stairwell, and for a couple of weeks we had workers all around the house. One day, moving tools in and out of the garage I re-discovered the Wal-Mart bike. One of the carpenters looked at it and said 'oh I wish I had a bike to ride to work in the morning instead of waiting for the bus'. I put some air in the tires and gave him the bike. Next thing you know, he was riding around the block with the happiest smile.

So yeah, it may have been one ugly cheap walmart bike - but it made life better for at least two people, and maybe more if he will also pay it forward someday. Making two people happy - that's a lot of good work done by just one bike.
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    Nope <little snip>
    A year later life was normalizing, sort of, I purchased a car and a used Bianchi that I knew how to ride and put the Wally-World bike in the garage and pretty much forgot about it.
    At some point, we had someone remodel our outside stairwell, and for a couple of weeks we had workers all around the house. One day, moving tools in and out of the garage I re-discovered the Wal-Mart bike. One of the carpenters looked at it and said 'oh I wish I had a bike to ride to work in the morning instead of waiting for the bus'. I put some air in the tires and gave him the bike. Next thing you know, he was riding around the block with the happiest smile.

So yeah, it may have been one ugly cheap walmart bike - but it made life better for at least two people, and maybe more if he will also pay it forward someday. Making two people happy - that's a lot of good work done by just one bike.
    This has just made me all goo-ey on the inside. You've just reminded me that the very first bike I had, that I wobbled along rail-to-trails on before moving away and losing my nerve, was eventually donated to a help the homeless projectwho were delighted to receive it. Bikes have such an amazing instrinsic value regardless of their actual monetary worth or reputation.

To happpinesshills - no-one here will judge you. Whatever you ride, the chances are someone else has ridden it too and will have fond memories.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Nope
    Actually the title of the thread brought back some memories and made me smile...
    Several years ago when I entered specialty school, I was in a world pretty much new to me where I had to learn how to live on a budget.
    I figured that living close to the hospital and spending about a year car-free was a good way to build some savings for the next few years and start over. I went to WalMart and purchased the cheapest bike available that would fit me. I think it was something like $ 44 at the time, and believe me I had to save for it.
    It was black, had a big decal 'roadmaster' and looked like a hardtail mountain bike or something of that kind. Granted - I grew up in Europe with Bianchi and Campagnolo, so I had no idea what a mountain bike would look like and much less I knew how to use a flat bar bike.
    By average cyclist standard, it was for sure one ugly bike - but it took me back and forth to the hospital and anywhere for almost a year, night or day, rain or shine, sometimes with loads of groceries or with a few huge and heavy pathology books in the backpack.

Awesome post! That certainly put a smile on my face.

No, you will not get booooed off of here for riding a Wal-Mart bike. My first "adult" bike was bought 7 years ago at a little bike shop in a nearby town that specializes in cheap bikes. I think he carries Schwinn and GT and is the only wrench in a 50 mile radius. It was a $200 mountain bike and I bought it to try to loose weight after I quit smoking. I thought I had bought a "really nice bike" that I couldn't really afford but my justification was that $200 was what I had saved from not buying cigarettes for 3 months. Little did I know that I would get bitten by the bike bug!

Fast forward 4 years and the $200 bike was replaced with a road bike and was hanging in the shed gathering dust. I gave it to a friend's daughter who was going to college. She rode it all 4 years of college then took it to California for graduate school. She sold it for $50 before she came home after graduation so I'm guessing it's still in California.

Enjoy riding, happinesshill, that's all that matters and welcome to TE!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I agree that you might want to look for a used bike. However, a beginner might not know what to look for in terms of condition. In that case, you might want to go to a local bike shop that sells used bikes. Many cities have such bike shops, and some cities have bicycle coops that sell only used bikes. If you buy it from a bike ship, it is more likely to have been thoroughly looked over and repaired than if you buy it off of Craigs List.

Welcome! I"m glad you've found the love of bike riding! I'm on haitus until the snow melts in wisconsin, but I still love coming here
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

One of the worst things about dept. store bikes is that they may have been assembled by people who know nothing about bikes. So do a basic set up check to be sure the brakes and shifters and cables and tires. If you don't know what to look for, find someone to help you learn.

Our neighbor had a bike from Costco with the fork on backwards.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Like others, my first 'adult' bike, bought around 12 years ago, was a Walmart bike. Wanted something that wasn't too expensive as I wasn't sure at that time whether I would like cycling enough to invest serious $$ in a bike.

Turns out I did like cycling that much...rode that bike for two years sold it, bought a used hybrid from my favourite lbs, sold that bike and bought my road bike.....then my commuter/mtb.....latest addition was a lovely turquose beach bike (and I can hardly wait for the weather to warm up so I can ride it)!!!

As I recall, that used hybrid actually cost me less than the new Walmart bike, so + 1 on the recommendations to look for a used bike if you decide you like cycling that much - and I bet you will, its addictive - lbs, craigslist - folks from my cyclling club often are selling or know someone who is selling.

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Nope

Awwwww.... this made me positively misty

2011 Pinarello FP2 Ultegra (road)
    2010 Jamis Ventura Comp w/Selle SMP (road bike)
    2007 Fuji Absolute (hybrid)

Smile

Nobody worries about what bike you have, TE is a great site, I feel like it's my faraway family, 'cos I can come on here and ask the most ridiculous questions and always get an answer.

Love your post TxDoc

My first bike at the age of around ten was second hand and my current bike that I have now had 11 years was a hand-me-down from my son and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Homeschooling mom to six children OMG and you have time to play out? BTW your son sounds a love, when you both go off cycling and he considers you. Hopefully you will feel your asthma and back problem is slightly easier the more you ride, it has definitely helped me.

(Sorry to go slightly off topic)
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Thanks all for the comments. Wow! Awesome stories!! Yeah, I homeschool during the day and when hubby gets home in the afternoon, I hit the road with my son. He is a good kid!

I just really wish it wasn't so cold. I miss riding. I'm just waiting for some nicer days (won't be long now and spring will be here in TN) I noticed that the longer I rode, the easier breathing became (Plus, I think some of it was the bike itself, hauling a big, heavy mountain bike) Hopefully the new bike will help that. It seems so much lighter. Luckily, my husband is very into bikes and has worked on them, built them and fixed them up all his life. He hasn't been big into expensive bikes, just always worked with what he had. So he can go over my bike and make sure it's good and fix it up good for me (new seat, grease the joints good, etc.)

Welcome Happinesshill!