Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    DH and will be coming back from a hiking trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon on April 30th, so I'm out.
    Oooh, what fun! Sounds like the right time of year to go to that part of the country

Looks like a looooong drive between BCSP and Harmonie? Am I missing something?

There's a state park on the map at Harmonie - if the event is big it'll probably fill up quick.

The date's pretty early in the season for me, but I could probably make it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

There's a state park on the map at Harmonie - if the event is big it'll probably fill up quick.

As Indy pointed out, most of the events around BCSP are later in the year and are quite hilly, so I was casting my net out a little wider to see what other appropriate events might turn up.

Bike Chick and I might meet up at the Harmonie ride, so I thought I might suggest it as an alternative that is quite early in the year. Nothing says that we can't choose a couple of events that might work and then figure out what works the best for those interested. We don't have to worry about planning routes/SAG support so that does give us more freedom.

BCSP and area are quite beautiful and scenic though

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

In an email to me, Catrin mentioned staying overnight in New Harmonie, so I'm guessing BCSP doesn't factor into the plans.

Sorry I won't be able to make it. I'm still hoping some TEers make it for the MTB clinic in June. For that, camping at BCST would be a great option since the clinic is held in the park.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    In an email to me, Catrin mentioned staying overnight in New Harmonie, so I'm guessing BCSP doesn't factor into the plans.

Sorry I won't be able to make it. I'm still hoping some TEers make it for the MTB clinic in June. For that, camping at BCST would be a great option since the clinic is held in the park.
    As so many of us are interested in this, it wouldn't be a bad weekend to meet at BCSP

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    As Indy pointed out, most of the events around BCSP are later in the year and are quite hilly, so I was casting my net out a little wider to see what other appropriate events might turn up.

Bike Chick and I might meet up at the Harmonie ride, so I thought I might suggest it as an alternative that is quite early in the year. Nothing says that we can't choose a couple of events that might work and then figure out what works the best for those interested. We don't have to worry about planning routes/SAG support so that does give us more freedom.

BCSP and area are quite beautiful and scenic though
    I should clarify something. Minus MTB events that are actually put on inside the park, BCSP isn't particularly close (from my perspective) to any of the event rides that are held in southern Indiana. The Hilly starts about 40 minutes away by car. The Hope Ride is about the same. The Hilly offers camping for a nominal fee on site. While campfires aren't allowed, it's arguably a lot more convenient to just camp there, rather than at BCSP.

There are some CIBA rides that start in southern Indiana but I can't think of any that actually start in Brown County other than a ride put on by the Brown County Parks Department in October called the Brown County Hills Challenge. I'm sure the Bloomington Cycling Club offers some good summer rides, but I'm not personally familiar with them. All of them (I think) start in Bloomington, which is about a 20 minute drive from BCSP. The road between the park and Bloomington is a state highway and is not bike friendly.

This is why, quite honestly, I suggested casting a somewhat bigger net to figure out a ride that offers a mix of nearby accommodations and some other "amenities". For instance, at the Horsey Hundred in Kentucky, you can camp on site, stay in one of the college dorms for a small fee or stay in a nearby hotel that's within biking distance of the start. And because they offer a meal at the end of the ride, it makes for an easy meet up. You can also purchase a meal plan that includes breakfast for both Satruday and Sunday. My guess is that the Harmonie Hundred might offer some similar amenities. If nothing else, it's in a small town so people should be able to ride to the ride from where they're staying.

Now, it is possible to do an unorganized/non-event ride out of BCSP, but it would take some work to put a route or routes together. When my DH and I cohosted last year's ride for RBR, we marked the routes and very purposely picked one where there was a country store along the way so that we didn't need to worry about SAG support. It is doable, but entails extra work. Plus, it would arguably lack the festivity that I think you find at event rides.

Anyway, I'm certainly not trying to take control of the planning of this. I'm just trying to offer what knowledge I have of the area and of the rides offered in the area. I'm not the definitive source of such information, however, so if I'm coming off too strong, I apologize.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy, Your comments are very much appreciated, this was just an idea that I had the other day - along the lines of "wouldn't it be nice if..." As a newbie to all of this there is a lot I do not know, for sure. I know nothing about the logistics of such a thing, just trying to think of a nice way to get as many of us together who can make it. Hopefully we can make something work, if not then it was a nice idea

It does sound like the Horsey Hundred might have more amenities than the New Harmonie ride - at least I didn't see anything on their site that indicates breakfast - though they do mention that they serve food. Doesn't the Horsey Hundred organizers make lodging available on campus?

They don't have the dates yet for the Horsey Hundred but I think it is normally around Memorial Day weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Indy, Your comments are very much appreciated, this was just an idea that I had the other day - along the lines of "wouldn't it be nice if..." As a newbie to all of this there is a lot I do not know, for sure. I know nothing about the logistics of such a thing, just trying to think of a nice way to get as many of us together who can make it. Hopefully we can make something work, if not then it was a nice idea

It does sound like the Horsey Hundred might have more amenities than the New Harmonie ride - at least I didn't see anything on their site that indicates breakfast - though they do mention that they serve food. Doesn't the Horsey Hundred organizers make lodging available on campus?

They don't have the dates yet for the Horsey Hundred but I think it is normally around Memorial Day weekend...
    The Horsey is always over Memorial Day weekend.

In years' past, you could buy a meal plan at the Horsey that included breakfast, and a good breakfast at that. Because Brian's parents live nearby, I haven't stayed on site the last couple of years, however, so perhaps that's changed. They used to offer a lunch during Saturday's ride, but that changed a couple of years ago. Now they have lunch/early dinner awaiting you at the end of the ride.

They do open up the dorms on campus for a small fee. I will warn you that they're not not particularly nice as the mattresses are from another era, but they are cheap and convenient. Last time I actually stayed in Georgetown, I stayed at one of the hotels and split the cost with a friend. They were reasonably priced and a short bike ride away from the start. We bought the meal plan, too and just ate breakfast there at the college.

I'm honestly not trying to push the Horsey; I'm just using it as an example of what, perhaps, to look for in choosing a ride. My guess is that there are any number of rides in Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio that might be similar. One of my beefs with Indiana is how few nice event rides there are. CIBA puts all of its eggs in the Hilly, while Bloomington does the RAIN ride. While there are a few others, it doesn't compare to some other states. For instance, Tennessee has more event rides during the spring and summer than you can shake a stick at.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

We could shoot for the Hilly weekend (which also happened to be the Breakdown Weekend) or we could also do the weekend of the Midwest Women's Clinic or we could do the weekend of the Hope Ride or.....

As everyone else has said, depends on the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeni View Post
    We could shoot for the Hilly weekend (which also happened to be the Breakdown Weekend) or we could also do the weekend of the Midwest Women's Clinic or we could do the weekend of the Hope Ride or.....

As everyone else has said, depends on the weekend!
    This year the Hilly weekend and the Breakdown weekends are different, one week apart - unless I have looked at the dates wrong. That would be a good combination of interests.

Hope Ride would work as well, and there are hotels in Columbus which is closer than BCSP. They provide breakfast and a great lunch, and the hills aren't as challenging as the Hilly - in 2010 it was quite nice. So it looks like we have three contenders for now - though it is too early for us to make up our minds as

Horsey Hundred (Memorial Day weekend, Kentuky)
    Hope Ride (September/Columbus, IN closest largish town)
    Hilly Hundred (October, perhaps stay in Bloomington? Drive from BCSP?)

I really like the weekend of the Midwestern Women's Mtn Bike clinic - it isn't an actual "ride event" like the others, but it isn't all that expensive, camping is available, and they have things for the most beginners like me, up to the most advanced. The beginning training is only on Sunday, but they have things from Friday on, demos and so for with more advanced training on Sat as well. Plus there would be time to go exploring on your own if you wanted - and there are several quite challenging road hills in the park as well - one of which is called the "Witch" and for good reason!
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-29-2010 at 10:38 AM.

I'm in Cleveland until mid-May at the earliest, so I'd be hard-pressed to make anything late April/early May.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...