Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Trek, you must have some rotten luck getting into so many bad situations). Makes me want to think about taking up a martial art but I would have no idea which one (would have to find something where being 5'2" and 110 pounds would not put me at a horrible disadvantage).
    Trek is smaller than you.

Which is probably why she was targeted as an easy victim so many times.

I've seen her in action, she's pretty darn impressive! Tiny cute grandma-lady throws big burly dude across dojo, wheeeeee!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-15-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

That is pretty impressive (as are the other stories--Trek, you must have some rotten luck getting into so many bad situations). Makes me want to think about taking up a martial art but I would have no idea which one (would have to find something where being 5'2" and 110 pounds would not put me at a horrible disadvantage).
    Wing Chun is a nice place to start. It was developed by a woman, so the story goes. I'm about the same size as you, and when I took Wing Chun some years ago, I felt like it was a good fit -- not that I have any thing to compare it to, but I do feel that it is something I will go back to at some point, if/when my life settles down a bit more. My reasons would be not so much for self-defense but just because I enjoy studying a form of movement and the sense of balance that I gain from it.

I think we've had this conversation before, but it bears repeating, and I'm sure Trek420 is much more eloquent about it than I could ever be -- the martial arts can offer you a great deal beyond self-defense. There are physical, emotional and for some people even spiritual benefits that can be gained from a lifetime of practice. Self-defense is a great reason to practice a martial art, but it's not the only reason.

In the martial arts, when you spar/fight/compete it is generally within a framework of agreed-upon rules and mutual respect. If you are being attacked by someone who is determined to cause you harm, it is a different ballgame.

In regards to self-defense, which is NOT the same as martial arts, you may be able to find a good weekend workshop/short course that focuses on self-defense for women. Some police departments or community colleges or other community organizations may offer these. They should teach you how to break holds, how to assert yourself and communicate to an attacker that you are more trouble than it is worth. How to hit back with everything you've got and not telegraph your punches. And most important -- if you have the opportunity, steer clear when your spidey-sense is tingling!

If reading about others' experiences and trying a beginner class or self-defense class whets your appetite for practicing a martial art, wonderful! If not, some basic self-defense still gives you some tools that you will hopefully never need.

For my part, I've been thinking about looking for a first aid course. I haven't taken anything like that since high school, maybe it's time for a refresher.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post

In regards to self-defense, which is NOT the same as martial arts, you may be able to find a good weekend workshop/short course that focuses on self-defense for women. Some police departments or community colleges or other community organizations may offer these. They should teach you how to break holds, how to assert yourself and communicate to an attacker that you are more trouble than it is worth. How to hit back with everything you've got and not telegraph your punches. And most important -- if you have the opportunity, steer clear when your spidey-sense is tingling!
    I did take some women's self-defense classes that were offered in college, and they were very good (and included a simulation at the end of the course where we suited up in all kinds of padding and had to escape from one or two guys who were similarly dressed and "attacked" us...the whole thing was even videotaped). However, it was a few years ago and a refresher might be a smart idea...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Yes, it's good to keep things fresh. As I was writing that, I was trying to recall what I had learned, and I was thinking it might not come back as quickly now as it would have a few years ago.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet

I think we've had this conversation before, but it bears repeating, and I'm sure Trek420 is much more eloquent about it than I could ever be --
    Nah, you got it right.

I think we've had this conversation before, but it bears repeating, and I'm sure Trek420 is much more eloquent about it than I could ever be -- the martial arts can offer you a great deal beyond self-defense. There are physical, emotional and for some people even spiritual benefits that can be gained from a lifetime of practice.
    It's not a sport, it's an addiction/cult

If reading about others' experiences and trying a beginner class or self-defense class whets your appetite for practicing a martial art, wonderful! If not, some basic self-defense still gives you some tools that you will hopefully never need.

For my part, I've been thinking about looking for a first aid course. I haven't taken anything like that since high school, maybe it's time for a refresher.
    It may take years to learn enough basics that could help you in a situation on the street. If you feel you need to learn something look for a 1-4 day reputable self defense class.

I do feel that anything/everything we do that makes us feel strong, at home in our bodies makes us a less appealing target. So keep riding!

Me too! Daniel Hernandez Jr. has inspired me!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

It always seems to come 'round to cycling... the Congresswoman apparently went for a ride with a friend the night before the shooting, and stopped to snap a cell-phone picture with him.

This blog post includes the picture, as well as a link to a larger NY Times article from which it was sourced. http://tucsonvelo.com/news/giffords-...-shooting/5455
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Trek is smaller than you.

Which is probably why she was targeted as an easy victim so many times.
    I think there is truth here and being seen as an easy target. I have always been a bigger gal at 5' 5" and over 200 pounds, hands big enough to palm a basketball, so I got my fair share of "space" when it came to "tough" situations. One one and only time I had someone try to rough me, I saw him preparing to throw a football tackle at me, so I lowered my shoulder and leveled the guy into a puddle of wheezing mess gasping for air.

I would still love to learn some real self defense and training on how to deal with the intense situation should I have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I've seen her in action, she's pretty darn impressive! Tiny cute grandma-lady throws big burly dude across dojo, wheeeeee!
    Now THAT I'd pay to see!!!!
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    I would still love to learn some real self defense and training on how to deal with the intense situation should I have to do that.
    No predicting what happens in the heat of a moment but I'd hope that today in a situation like your football dude that I'd step aside. He'd miss me, go sprawling and/or hit a wall or sumthin'

That's Aikido.

You may find that martial arts are not about the situation "If he does this you do that and if it's ...". You can't prepare for it, so many variables. Life isn't long enough to learn it all. But with the right teacher/school you may find a certain calm within should you need it.

And it's great for core, aerobic strength, good cross training.

Good teachers in martial arts will have the attitude that they hope you never "use it in real life", that's not what the arts are for. Finding the right school is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    INow THAT I'd pay to see!!!!
    I've posted this before. The blond chickie is my teacher I've trained with all the others in this too. You'll see Kayla Fedor start, the 2nd technique she does at about 40 seconds with uke's neck stretched backwards? That is what came to me on the train. I still have no clue how I got to that technique because I really should not have been able to get there from where he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnHEu...eature=related
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-18-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    No predicting what happens in the heat of a moment but I'd hope that today in a situation like your football dude that I'd step aside. He'd miss me, go sprawling and/or hit a wall or sumthin'
    That's exactly what I was thinking as I read about that situation...I'd just step to the side and then laugh at him when he took a header .
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read about that situation...I'd just step to the side and then laugh at him when he took a header .
    Falling on cement is no fun, sometimes called a "crash burn landing".
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    It always seems to come 'round to cycling... the Congresswoman apparently went for a ride with a friend the night before the shooting, and stopped to snap a cell-phone picture with him.

This blog post includes the picture, as well as a link to a larger NY Times article from which it was sourced. http://tucsonvelo.com/news/giffords-...-shooting/5455
    Thanks for posting that. I was watching "20/20" tonight and they did a nice feature with her husband. They told a lot about her but I didn't see any mention that she's a cyclist. (I didn't get to see the whole thing, though.) Sounds like she's doing remarkably well. We'll keep praying for her.

Did anybody see the 20/20 interview with her tonight? Completely inspiring - and I'm still holding out hope that she might be back on her bike yet. Her recovery is nothing less than amazing!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I was tired tonight, but stayed up to watch. It was amazing to see her progress... still sad to contemplate the tragedy and the challenges she is still facing.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

And she's back on a bike - not her usual one - but she did 11 miles at El Tour. Pretty impressive!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/us/gif...html?hpt=hp_t2
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I just read that as well, way to go Gabby!!

Electra Townie 7D