Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling, triathlon & fitness apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Middle of good old USA
    Posts
    29

    ? about cycling "sun" glasses

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    The glasses I am presently wearing have interchangeable lenses. That works quite well, but I don't always have the time/desire to be changing lenses. So I'm wondering if the glasses with light sensitive lenses work for anyone? I'm specifically looking at the Tifosi "fototec" lenses. Has anyone tried these? Do they perform as stated? If not, I'll stick with changing lenses. My eyesight is far from perfect (darn those aging eyes!!) so I need eyewear that is dependable. I often commute to work, and the light conditions are so changeable. I want protective glasses/lenses that I can depend on.

    TIA!

    SR

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,138
    I've used the Tifosis and I've used Optic Nerve's "Photomatic" lenses. I think the ON product is far better. I've had a couple pairs of Tifosis and have found them to be overly fragile. I have a pair of polarized ones in my car that never leave my car and get gentle use, but there is a coating peeling off of the lenses near the tops. My pair of Tifosi photochromics stretched out and didn't stay on my head well...then they'd hit the floor and the lenses would crack right out of the frames. Their range from light-to-dark is not as broad as the ONs, either.

    My favorite Optic Nerves are their Neuro-toxin frame. I have a pretty small face and they fit me well. I actually have 2 pair--one with their photomatic lens and the other set I bought so that I'd have a set of clear lenses for really low light. I also had a pair of their Eyeque model (with the photochromic lenses), which I handed down to my 11 year old. He's not gentle with them and they have been pretty bomb-proof for him.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest (Apex)
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I've used the Tifosis and I've used Optic Nerve's "Photomatic" lenses. I think the ON product is far better. I've had a couple pairs of Tifosis and have found them to be overly fragile. I have a pair of polarized ones in my car that never leave my car and get gentle use, but there is a coating peeling off of the lenses near the tops. My pair of Tifosi photochromics stretched out and didn't stay on my head well...then they'd hit the floor and the lenses would crack right out of the frames. Their range from light-to-dark is not as broad as the ONs, either.
    I've had a similar experience with these glasses. They just don't seem to be really well made and while I find the light-to-dark range mostly functional, I do often find myself wishing they would not darken as much as they do under certain circumstances and when I've worn them at around twilight, I find them too dark.

    I've not tried any other sunglasses of this sort though, so I really don't have anything to compare them to.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

    http://gorgebikefitter.com/


    2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510
    Specialized has a photo changing glasses. Built really well and very comfortable. And have surivived many a drop plus protected my eye and eyebrow in a really serious accident- they were a write off but I still had an eyebrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Middle of good old USA
    Posts
    29
    Thank you, ladies!! I appreciate all advice. I'm going to check out the Optic Nerve offerings. Sounds like I'd be better off staying away from the Tifosi's. I'd prefer staying with my interchangeable lenses, than switching to something that doesn't perform very well.

    SR

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,132
    I have two pairs of Tifosi phototecs. My favorite pair is in their "Light Night" series. They don't get as dark as the other pair and are a good option when I'm going to be going in and out of shady areas. If my rides are just your basic sunny country roads, then the darker pair works better. Mine Tofisis have held up reasonably well, but the clarity of the optics isn't stellar. If and when these break, I'll likely try other brands to compare. My eyesight is truly horrible so I'll take any improvement I can get.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

    --Mary Anne Radmacher

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    http://www.rei.com/product/818438/ti...mic-sunglasses I have the Tifosi photochromic glasses- bought a few weeks ago, my first sport sunglasses so I can't really compare them to others. I like them- they change color automatically and aren't too dark. They seem durable enough to me- I've dropped them a few times and they're pretty light so they just bounce. I think Oakleys are pretty nice too, but too rich for my blood at this point.
    2011 Marin Seadrift Step-Thru Hybrid Size 17W
    2011 Giant Avail 1 Size S
    # times fallen since getting clipless pedals: 11 (updated every time i fall)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    9,683
    My problem with prescription sunglasses of any type is the cost associated with my prescription, and my astigmatism is so bad that not many providers can accommodate it in a wrap-around style. I won't have another style for the bike. If you require prescription then do shop around, the prices can range pretty widely.





    2011 Custom Gunnar

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1

    Prescription Glasses

    Hey guys,

    Full disclosure: I work at a specialty sports optical shop in Denver (www.sportsoptical.com). But, I'm also a cyclist and I wear prescription lenses in a wrap-around frame, and I can totally relate to your issues. I use a Rudy Project Rydon frame, because it's super light, adjustable and pretty durable. It's popular with our clients, but Oakley also has some pretty decent frames. Anyway, you're right, getting the Rx lenses can be expensive, but I think it's also been totally worth it.
    In any case, I just wanted to let you guys know that there are a lot of options out there for cycling sunglasses, as well as getting your prescription put into cycling frames.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, Co
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by pangaea99 View Post
    http://www.rei.com/product/818438/ti...mic-sunglasses I have the Tifosi photochromic glasses- bought a few weeks ago, my first sport sunglasses so I can't really compare them to others. I like them- they change color automatically and aren't too dark. They seem durable enough to me- I've dropped them a few times and they're pretty light so they just bounce. I think Oakleys are pretty nice too, but too rich for my blood at this point.
    I just got these sunglasses from REI, too. I really like them but they aren't polarized and the glare coming off the cars in our bright sunshine was really noticeable. I love the fit of the Wisp frame so ended up getting the Mocha frame with the brown polarized lense. I rode today at high noon and the lenses were dark enough to block the glare. So far I'm loving the fit.

    I've worn Zeal Optics polarized sunglasses for years, the frames are supposed to fit small faces but the Tifosi is a much better fit. I noticed today I can see cars in my rearview mirror much better with the Tifosi polarized lenses than I can with my Zeals. I'm a contact lense wearer and I do mono vision in my left eye so I'm thrilled that I can see better with the Tifosi's.

    The Wisp frame fits X-Small/Small faces.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    442
    Kathi, how long did it take you to get used to the monovision thing? I tried it yesterday, and while it was ok for routine "household" stuff and shopping and such, I had a hard time doing computer stuff. I haven't tried it riding yet. Since I sit at a computer all day for work, I went back to lenses in both eyes today, with reading glasses for near vision.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, Co
    Posts
    1,065
    I've used them for so long I don't remember but I don't think it took very long. I do think I had a harder time with bifocals than mono-vision. I did only use monovision for work and used my distance lenses for cycling, (especially mtn biking) skiing, driving at night. I now have mono vision bifocal lenses and they work great except for driving in the rain and nighttime driving.

    Try wearing them when you're not using the computer. I also think I adjust my distance from the computer when I'm using the contacts vs. glasses.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by HiKyro View Post
    Hey guys,

    Full disclosure: I work at a specialty sports optical shop in Denver (www.sportsoptical.com). But, I'm also a cyclist and I wear prescription lenses in a wrap-around frame, and I can totally relate to your issues. I use a Rudy Project Rydon frame, because it's super light, adjustable and pretty durable. It's popular with our clients, but Oakley also has some pretty decent frames. Anyway, you're right, getting the Rx lenses can be expensive, but I think it's also been totally worth it.
    In any case, I just wanted to let you guys know that there are a lot of options out there for cycling sunglasses, as well as getting your prescription put into cycling frames.
    Thanks for the rec. Someone pointed me in the direction of the shop you work at last year when I was looking for prescription lenses. Looks like Rudy Project might be it, since I have a crazy Rx (something like -2.1 in one eye and -2.5 in the other). I do have a question: does the Rydon/Rydon II allow interchangeable lenses?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Middle of good old USA
    Posts
    29
    I finally ordered some photochromatic sunglasses. After much research and reading. I am getting the Optic Nerve "Neuro-Toxin" model. I need something that fits small faces. This sounded good for that. Hoping the lenses perform as stated. I will post here after a few rides that challenge the quality of the sunglasses with info as to how well they perform.

    SR

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyRides View Post
    I finally ordered some photochromatic sunglasses. After much research and reading. I am getting the Optic Nerve "Neuro-Toxin" model. I need something that fits small faces. This sounded good for that. Hoping the lenses perform as stated. I will post here after a few rides that challenge the quality of the sunglasses with info as to how well they perform.

    SR
    I love them so much I have 2 pair. 1 photochromic and 1 set w/clears.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest (Apex)
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •