Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Planning your training

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm curious to see what system you use to plan their training if you don't have a coach.

Do you write it down on a plain paper? In your logbook? On the computer? Which program?

I had been using a monthly Excel calendar, but find this tough because there's no space to put in a.m. and p.m. or to track how frequently I am doing each discipline. Also, my trainer is farsighted and has problems reading the text on it and I can't make the font any bigger.

I'm trying a new weekly Excel spreadsheet that I made and transferred the distance totals to the monthly calendar, but this is just getting kinda cumbersome.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

My system so far is extremely simplistic. I have a journal I use to keep track of everything. Good old fashioned pen and ink.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Check out www.beginnertriathlete.com - it has a great log function that you can track all your training with.

Check out www.beginnertriathlete.com - it has a great log function that you can track all your training with.
    I use trainingpeaks.com to keep track of workouts after I've done them. I'm more interested in planning them for the future, 4 weeks from now, so that I make sure to take adequate rest and not increase too much week by week (as I did this weekend. Ouch!)
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

I use the Training Log feature on www.beginnertriathlete.com.

It's awesome! Tracks everything. Even creates graphs for you.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

I copied a training plan online for a 5km run and converted it to the distances I needed to run for my triathlon (km) and I've been TICKING them off as I go. I converted it for swimming too!

I've been using http://www.cyclesmart.net to track my weekly distance on the bike.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Beginnertriathlete also has a function for planned workouts. It also has great training plans to incorporate, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lawyergirl View Post
    Beginnertriathlete also has a function for planned workouts. It also has great training plans to incorporate, too.
    It only works for paying users, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Ah that might be true - I pay for the site so I forget what is free and what is not.

Beginner Triathlete website

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I just started using their entry-level FREE plan and it has far more features than I have time to play with!

And it's very gratifying to see how much activity I've done in a week. Fun