Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

So You Wanna Go Faster...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Average Speed Increases of Up to Two Miles per Hour!

less on hills

For your next vacation plan to do a self supported tour. Three weeks is ideal, but work with what you've got. The location can be exotic, or you could choose to roll right out your front door.

Wherever you decide to go, make sure you are carrying/pulling at least 50 extra pounds of weight. 75 is even better. Don't make your mileage too long - results can be seen with as few as 30 miles a day. It's the weight that matters. Don't make your rides all flat. Rollers are the best. That way you can work your butt off and then relax a bit.

This method really does work and you'll get to see some beautiful places and hopefully meet some interesting people. And you may have the added benefit of weight loss. Don't eat too much strawberry shortcake.

Operators are standing by to help you plan your next vacation.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

It is definitely also an excellent weight loss plan (which helps to boost ones speed as well). The hubby and I both came back from our 2 week tour lighter than when we left.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

The same thing happens on a 2 week backpack trip. But there you should try to keep the weight down to 30 or 35 lbs. You definitely lose weight and gain leg strength. Not sure about increasing bike speed, but hills became alot easier after my spring hike this year.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    Not sure about increasing bike speed, but hills became alot easier after my spring hike this year.
    I think it would... it would work like base training and build aerobic fitness, and you would come back stronger - and if you were also lighter on the scales, the combined weight loss and the increased aerobic base should make you a tad faster...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".