Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Threaded View

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Blue Ridge Parkway - Am I insane??

Very shortly, a bunch of us are going to tackle the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee, NC, to Waynesboro, VA. We're doing a self-supported trip - staying in hotels along the way.
    I've been plotting our route on Bikely, and I'm beginning to think we're all just a little bit nuts for tackling this.
    Here's what our second day looks like. (Be sure to click on "Show" then "Elevation profile".) Let me spell it out: 75 miles...10,100 feet of climbing. And that's after the first day, which is 85 miles, with 10,700 feet of climbing.
    I haven't plotted any of the days yet beyond that. We intend to do the ride in 6 days. (all told, that's 469 miles (plus the miles to/from hotels), with 49,000 feet of elevation gain. Oh...and that doesn't include the side trip on day 2 up Mount Mitchell....the highest point east of the Mississippi...that our ride leader wants to do!
    Frankly, I'm beginning to doubt I have the stomach for it.
    Can a bunch of reasonably fit cyclists honestly do this and live to tell the tale?? We'd be doing this, of course, at a touring pace, with vans following in support (for bailing out, if needed).
    Can someone who's done this road tell me what I'm in for????
    Thanks!
    Last edited by 7rider; 08-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle