PDA

View Full Version : A lovely brick workout.....

rocknrollgirl
09-10-2006, 04:03 AM
My DH and I did our first brick workout yesterday since we completed an aventure race at the end of April. I have been doing tons of mt biking, and some trail running, but no bricks.
We did 1.5 hours of single track on our mt bikes and then got off for just 2 little miles of trail running.......

Lovely, pukey, painful, slow.....BRICKS for legs....

We signed up for an off-road run, bike, run at the end of Oct. About 5 mins in to the run, my DH yelled back to me, "You sure you want to do this?"

Don't feel bad today, so that is encouraging. Every Wed. will be brick day at our house from now until the race.

Ha.........
Embrace the pain...or something like that, right?

Lise
09-10-2006, 04:40 AM
There may be a law against using the words lovely and brick in the same sentence...we'll have to ask MP. Unless of course the sentence is, "It was lovely when the brick was finally over." :p

Seriously, though, good for you! Have a blast at your race!

Bluetree
09-10-2006, 07:42 AM
I had my first brick workout about a month ago. I got off my bike after an hour, feeling fine, changed into running shoes/shorts, went out the door... and almost fell flat on my face. My darn stems just weren't working!

I talked to a friend who is a certified cycling/Ironman coach and after teasing me a bit, suggested this: After every bike ride (I ride every other day), schedule a very brief run. Not far or long, just a quarter-to-half a mile, enough to get my body used to the idea of transitioning. Once I get accustomed to it, the true brick workouts can start in earnest. Up until then, I can still get my regular running in on my off-bike days. I'm nowhere near ready to race, but I'm working on it.

Good luck in your race!
Joy

rocknrollgirl
09-10-2006, 10:25 AM
We did that last spring when we were training for the adventure race and it helped so much. By heck, why ease back in to things when you can leap in head first and suffer...right????

Ruth