PDA

View Full Version : Stomach settler

KnottedYet
09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I've heard of this, and tried it. Seems to really work. Tastes good, at least!

1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
1 tblsp honey
8 oz water

Kalidurga
09-10-2006, 06:49 AM
I assume that's warm water so that the honey melts, right? Interesting idea. I would have thought that vinegar would upset the stomach rather than settle it. Is vinegar acidic or alkaline?

Best stomach settlers I've found so far are tea (Any regular tea works for me. Again, it must be the warm water) or flat ginger ale.

KnottedYet
09-10-2006, 07:09 AM
I use cold water. Put the cider vinegar and honey in, stir it up, add the water. Dissolves just fine.

Hot or cold just depending on preference, I guess.

I don't know why it works, but it seems to work a treat. My new bottle of apple cider vinegar says to drink it every day. I've started doing that just to see if it makes any difference with my enteropathy. Can't hurt.

(my new vinegar is Bragg, and it comes in a pretty funny bottle. I think it uses the word "amazing" like 4 or 5 times!)

I eat candied ginger for really bad stomach. Found some good stuff in Germany called "Underberg" that helped, too.

Kalidurga
09-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, with the 'Mother' ! (http://www.bragg.com/products/applecidervinegar.html)

I'm not sure what the 'Mother of Vinegar' is, but the fact that it "helps remove body sludge toxins" makes me want to give that concoction a try!

snapdragen
09-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Yay for Wikipedia!

Mother of vinegar is a slime composed of yeast and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar.

Mother of vinegar can also form in store-bought vinegar, if there is some non-fermented sugar and/or alcohol contained in the vinegar. While not appetizing in appearance, mother of vinegar is completely harmless and vinegar does not have to be discarded because of it. It can be filtered out using a coffee filter, or simply left in and ignored.

Kitsune06
09-10-2006, 02:59 PM
so vinegar has a low ph, honey tends to coat things...

I was told to take the same thing for galbladder problems. Can't say it helped tons (that I know of) but it certainly didn't hurt.

A lot of the time, if you're sick or coming down with something, doing an acid/alkaline swing will help you shake it (acidify the body, then switch your diet to raise the ph) ...or so I've heard.

Knot, have you tried slippery elm syrup for an upset stomach? I got some lozenges awhile ago with slippery elm, rose hips and vitamin c, and they were really soothing...

downhilldiva
09-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Is this for on ride stomach issues. Mine usually seem to go away once I stop riding.

MomOnBike
09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Cider vinegar is one of those old-timey right-there-on-the-pantry-shelf fixes-everything substances that our grandparents (literally) couldn't have lived without.

Yes, it's acidic.

It's used (still) by the sort of people who raise prize winning rabbits for State Fairs to keep the little critters healthy and shiny. (Yes, I've done it, too.)

A lot of old fashioned potions have cider vinegar as one of the major ingredients. Don't laugh - those old wives generally knew what they were talking about.

So I'm not surprised that honey & vinegar is used in a stomach settling potion. Honey is another of those Very Useful Things, BTW. I'd use honey and vinegar for a sore throat, and drink peppermint and chamomile tea for an icky tummy. But if it works for you...

And yes, I've also made a vinegar pie when there was no lemon juice around.

Quillfred
09-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I have had some soothing results using aloe vera juice. The type with mint added seems to go down the best.

chickwhorips
09-20-2006, 08:09 AM
i use to use that for weightloss. would get up first thing in the morning and drink it to 'cleanse' me.

margo49
09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh...
I thought this was going to be remedies for hangovers!

KnottedYet
09-20-2006, 12:12 PM
My favorite hangover remedy: excedrin, Cliff electrolye, and candied ginger. (taken seperately)

margo49
09-20-2006, 12:16 PM
I was not asking.
I have my secret, ethnic kiwi remedy

Quillfred
09-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I was not asking.
I have my secret, ethnic kiwi remedy

Does it involve chocky fish? :eek:

Come on Margo, spill the beans. :cool:

Bike Goddess
09-21-2006, 01:36 PM
I have organic cider vinegar, organic honey and hot water every morning when I get up. Been doing this regime for years. One reason, it helps break down plaque (I've not got ANY!). I put powdered MSM, Glucosamine, and calcium in the mix and drink it as a tea. I then wait for 20 minutes before eating or drinking.