PDA

View Full Version : Insurance lowered because of commuting!

Tater
09-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Anyone else have this happen to them? I got my semi-annual bill for my truck insurance this last week. Last year I paid $180 for the full year, just liability. Well, I got the notice in the mail a few days ago and decided to call and ask if there was a discount or a way to lower my insurance costs since I don't drive nearly as much anymore. I explained to the lady that I have almost ten times the miles on my bikes this year than my truck and while I don't want to completely drop coverage, 'cause we do use it every so often, could I get a lower rate. She pecked around on her keyboard and then told me that they would be able to take forty dollars off my bill! SWEET! I'll take it!

betagirl
09-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah I just switched to Allstate and told my agent that I commute to work on my bike. So he gave me a policy that said I drove my car less than 8000 miles a year. Which knocked a decent chunk off the premium.

Yay for commuting :D

Geonz
09-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Mine too... thanks to that silly Xtracycle and its influence on me, I could be under 4000 miles... down from 9,000...

xeney
09-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I have had this discount for years because I walk to work, and when I added my husband to my policy he got the same discount for bike commuting. It's the main reason that I stick with Nationwide, because they allow me to classify both cars on my policy as "pleasure drivers," and some companies require you to have at least one car designated for commuting. Every couple of years they ask me to send in an affidavit listing the odometer readings, but we are always under 5,000 a year between the two cars, and most of those miles are from roadtrips.

From what the agent told me, though, I gather we would get the same discount just from living close to work. It's a low-mileage discount, basically.

CorsairMac
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Yup: I just leased my new truck in March and my insurance payments are lower on the 2007 F150 than they were on the 2004 Ranger. I had been trying to get them to reclassify my vehicle for the past year but it took the final odometer reading from the Ranger to get them to change it. My truck is now classified as a secondary vehicle with 7000 miles or less per year. I was told they (Allstate) would be calling me every year to verify the mileage but so far: I'm 500 miles in the bank so to speak on my monthly avg to keep it under 7000.

Yet another perk for bike commuting!

Artisan
09-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks for posting this. My husband started commuting to work two months ago and I didn't know we could get a discount. I called the insurance company today and they made the adjustment. :D