PDA

View Full Version : Tour des Lacs

thewump
09-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone! I'm just popping in to ask of anyone has done this ride. I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks,
Elaine

colby
09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
I haven't before myself, but was thinking of doing the easy, fun, and flat (30 mile x 2 day) route this year :) I'll be curious to see if anyone else has. It looks fun.

KnottedYet
09-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I have the flyer for it, and would really like to do it someday. I've heard it's a good one.

TsPoet
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
This was the first organized ride I ever did. I had an absolute blast. Still the best ride I've been on. Might be partially due to it being my first ride of this ilk.
Well organized, lots of great rest stops. Pretty scenery. If you do the short route, think about riding down and taking the Ferry both ways. We (me and a woman I met on the ride) did this, there were only 6 people on the ferry going over to pick everyone else up, and it was a nice relaxing afternoon. We also had the massage folks all to ourselves.
I was told by the folks that did the intermediate ride that the highway portion was scary, especially in Idaho, but the trail was beautiful. I've ridden the Coeur d'Alene trail a few times since then and it's a great trail.
I'm not sure why, but of all the rides I've ever done, this also had the friendliest riders, I was always in a group of friendly people to chat with.

thewump
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks TsPoet!

I decided to do the 108 mile Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes route (without the cruise) on the first day. Sheesh, if I knew there were people giving massages on the boat, maybe I would have made another choice!

On the second day, I was initially planning to do the Centennial Trail for an easy cruise back to Spokane (and since I've never been on it) but I'm interested in the Three Lakes route that takes you through Hayden, Avondale, Hauser and Newman Lakes.

Choices, choices..

colby
09-11-2006, 09:55 PM
The Centennial Trail ride is pretty boring in some places, and all around pretty flat, but the river scenery is really nice. In the Spokane Valley, it gets shady and goes through some pretty (and green) areas. I admit, I haven't done the whole thing, but I've done the downtown Spokane segment, and everything from the Spokane Valley to Coeur d'Alene's Northwest Blvd trailhead, then from the resort to the very end. I guess I'm probably missing about 10-12 miles of total scenery ;) I think where you start out in CdA you'll be missing the lake scenery, but you will see everything along the river.

Hayden, Newman, Avondale, Hauser... all pretty territory, and I'd imagine quite significantly more hilly than the trail. I guess it depends on whether you want to take day 2 easy or not ;)