PDA

View Full Version : How many of us have or ride horses?

ColleenT
09-07-2006, 06:10 AM
i see a lot of horsey Avatars. i have a 14 yr old Appaloosa, the best horse in the world. i love him to bits. in fact i might just get my butt to the barn and ride him.

mimitabby
09-07-2006, 06:56 AM
I used to 25 years ago... does that count? I moved to Seattle to work
and it became too expensive to keep a horse and with two children
it wasn't fair to the horse, so i (sniff!) sold him.

Haudlady
09-07-2006, 07:22 AM
My first horse was Haughty - an American Saddlebred - I had him for fourteen years, and still miss him desperately... had to put him down at age 21, on October 15, 2003. :(

My avatar shows my current horses. The bay is Frank - my seven year old American Saddlebred gelding... the gray is my three (four in October) year old Arabian gelding, Barak. I've had Frank for four years, and Barak for one (so far - I fully intend to keep them for life). They are fantastic! I love my boys! :D

BleeckerSt_Girl
09-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I had a horse and rode a LOT when I was a girl. But now I'm 52 and I just ride my BIKE. :)

mimitabby
09-07-2006, 08:38 AM
the biggest difference between a horse and a bike (while you are riding!!)
that i can think of is that horses think for themselves, and sometimes you wish they wouldn't.
Bikes maintained correctly never question your commands and just DO what you want them to do.
No offense meant to horses, their thinking has saved many lives but has also
made a lot of people very very frustrated, injured, etc..

oxysback
09-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I rode in High School and around age 25 or so (when I was a lot thinner...hehe). I've never actually had a horse. I either leased or rode School Horses. I also did a lot of Pony Club and Schooling shows in the hunter/jumper discipline.

If it wasn't so expensive I would have never given it up.

spokewench
09-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I rode all through my youth, then ran a brood mare farm and trained horses on the Thoroughbred Horse Circuit for a while. Quit that, bought my own horse (Timmy, short for Intimidate), showed him, taught horseback lessons, etc. My own horse, after riding all those crazies on the race track, broke my back playing around after a jump. After that, I sponsored him out for a while and then finally sold him to a girl to do dressage on in Danville California. I hear he had an illustrious career! A few years after I sold Timmy, I tried to ride again, but it was really hard on my back - so now I just ride my bikes!

KSH
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I rode a guy who was dressed like a horse... saddle, reins, etc... in a club last weekend.

Does that count? :p

mimitabby
09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
I rode a guy who was dressed like a horse... saddle, reins, etc... in a club last weekend.

did he have good legs?

Bluetree
09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't have a horse at the moment, but I work with Thoroughbreds on the SoCal racing circuit. Trainer-friends are always trying to give me horses who are retiring or are slowpokes. I will take some of them up on it as soon as I get a large enough property. I'm a sucker for a horse who likes his tongue pulled.

...horses think for themselves, and sometimes you wish they wouldn't.

I'm not sure I would use the word "thinking" sometimes. I once saw a $60 million colt (not a typo!) go beserk, break from his handlers and attack a wheelbarrow. :eek: Sheesh! My bike won't do that. Then again, my bike doesnt command a six-figure stud fee.

Did you have to resort to the whip? And the stud fee? heh.

Nanci
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Spokewrench, you might be ok with a gaited horse like a Paso Fino...It's kind of like the recumbent of the horse world! I was at a horse show once, where they were demoing all these different breeds. We were going psycho with laughter at the Pasos, and some lady sitting behind me says "If you'd ever ridden one, you wouldn't be laughing like that..." So, a while later, someone I knew was shopping, and looking at Pasos, so I rode one- OMG!!! I had a Paso within months, and let my (ex) husband ride Annie the Perfect Horse (Arab). True, the Paso had nowhere near the personality of an Arab, but she was incredible to ride.

Anyway, I had a variety of horses my whole life till I moved to Florida. I went to Farrier school in 1977 and shoed from 1978 till 1998- full time for about five years, then just special friends' horses and my own.

Nanci

spokewench
09-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Nanci

Thanks for the info on Pasos - but I think I would have a hard time getting past the snickering part too! At heart, I'm really a snob - So far I have never had any deisre to own a horse that is not a Thoroughbred or a Warm Blood!

Maybe when I retire and have more time to spend with horses, I might try again Who knows.

Part of the issue of not having horses or doing stuff with them anymore is that my husband is HUGELY Allergic!

MomOnBike
09-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I used to ride a lot. As far as we were concerned, a horse wasn't really a horse unless it was a Quarter Horse - horse people can be snobby sometimes.

I quit in college 'cause horses weren't "cool" and haven't ridden seriously since. DH is not a big horse fan - and we just haven't had the money to have a hay burner on the payroll.

Sometimes I miss the smell...

I used to sew quite a bit for Miss Rodeo contestants, FWTW.

salsabike
09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I wish. Always wanted one. Rode through high school, but not much afterwards. Still love to look at them.

btchance
09-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Me, me!! I was raised on a small breeding farm with a Dad who has done everything from Halter Horses to roping to open jumping and everything inbetween. I ended up showing a little buckskin mare through 4-H, novice quarter horse, and some youth quarter horse. She has since been retired to broodmare and her first baby is now 2! The one you see in my avatar is the one I showed some Hunter Under saddle as a youth, then everything as an amateur. He was a bit of a butt head, but I loved him. We did everything from horsemanship, trail, western riding to Showmanship, equitation, hack, and HUS. And you couldn't have asked for a better eq or hack horse. Had to sell him before I started med school, and he is currently helping pay for that. Once I move back home I'm going to take one of the babies we have. Not sure which one yet, though.

As a side note, I really feel that all my time on horses helped me out with mtb, as there were so many similarities I felt. Have any of you noticed that also?

rheidis73
09-07-2006, 04:31 PM
i see a lot of horsey Avatars. i have a 14 yr old Appaloosa, the best horse in the world. i love him to bits. in fact i might just get my butt to the barn and ride him.

I am an equine tech, so I do not get on horse back much anymore. I rode thoroughbred race horses for awhile, dressage and of course, a lot of western riding. My dh and I have worked numerous cattle ranches where we would be on horseback 9 hours a day sometimes. I worked in an elk camp that was 21 miles in on horse. Took 8 hours to get in. I have worked as a trail guide on Maui, taking people on horseback thru the pineapple fields and rain forest. There is more, but I will not bore you no more :D So, I do have a lot of experience with horses, but mostly work with them on the ground now. So, if anyone has any horsey questions, fire away. If I don't know, I will ask my boss. Of course, an equine vet. Crazy enough, I worked cows on horseback until I was 7.5 months pregnant! Anyway, the only saddle I get in now is my Bianchi one:D

rheidis73
09-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Did he have chaps and spurs too? :p

Sounds like that might have been a crazy night!

roguedog
09-07-2006, 05:23 PM
OOOOH... soo trying to be good.....

sooo hard to keep mouth shut

rheidis73
09-07-2006, 05:40 PM
OOOOH... soo trying to be good.....

sooo hard to keep mouth shut
I know what you mean! KSH's comment can go so far with what she said...:D

eofelis
09-08-2006, 07:40 AM
I pretty much lived and breathed horses for 20 years. I haven't done any horse stuff for about 7 years now.

I had my own horses from 1985-1995. I first had an 18 year old Appy gelding, Felix, who was given to me. I lost him to colic a year later:( He had lots of parasite damage , maybe from poor care when he was younger. Then I had a retired Stb pacer gelding, Shaw, for a short time. Not a bad horse, but he didn't work out for me.Then I had two: Sam a Morgan (I think, no papers) and Sijin, a BLM Mustang filly I adopted. Later Sam got a new home and I just had Sijin. I lost her to colic when she was 8.:( :(

After that I just rode other peoples horses. I never bought another one.

I worked at various farms in NE Mass. (Where I lived at the time). My favorite place I worked was Groton House Farm in Hamilton, MA. They raised a few babies each year. I had fun working with them.

I only rode for fun. I only went to a few small shows and a few pre-novice horse trials. I took some dressage lessons sometimes.

Four years ago or so I finally sold off the tack I had. I had a nice Crosby Prix de Nations saddle that I loved. But I wasn't using it. I bought a nice road bike (still have it, the Surly Pacer) with all the money I got from selling off my tack. I'm a student now and I'm more interested in hiking and bicycling. I don't have time or money for horses.

I do love to ogle the horse I see out on my rides. One place has a couple of Fresian horses. I've also seen a Haflinger and a Fjord. I mostly see QHs and Paint/pinto horses. I see lots of mules here too.

Last winter I went for a ride with some folks. They had some nice Morgans they used for trail riding. I went out on a ride with them. I got to ride a nice mare, Fooler. We rode out on some BLM land that mtn bikers also use. I had a nice ride, she was a nice horse, but when I saw someone mtn biking I felt a bit envious! I was just sitting on the horse getting sore knees and no exercise! I never thought I'd be envious of someone that was not riding a horse!

I sort of keep in the horse picture through the model horse hobby (these are "little plastic horses":D ). It's like model trains, but with horses. Creating miniatures. There are some amazing artists that are sculpting horses and casting them in resin. I've been doing that since 1981. I was very involved in customizing and showing in the 1990's. I've done little with that since I've been in college, but I hope to get back to it someday. I still visit modelhorseblab dot com regularly. It's a forum like this one. (I actually call this forum "girl bike blab" when I'm talking to my bf, he understands what I mean):D :D

mimitabby
09-08-2006, 07:53 AM
how sad that your last horse died so young. even traumatic.
I just donated my last saddle to an outfit which helps disabled children
by letting them learn to ride horses. I kept it (and even oiled it) for 25 years before I finally admitted that I'd never use it again.

I'll have to look at your horse model website. I draw horses. If you put a pencil in my hand, I will draw a horse. I am "famous" for this at my office.

chickwhorips
09-08-2006, 01:15 PM
use to ride all the time as a kid. brother had horses and so did my cousin, but i didn't. every year i asked for a horse, but never got one. my dad said i wouldn't take care of it. little did he know.....

i did a bunch of speed shows and others of the like. then moved to phoenix and had no more horse friends. though right before i left to move up here i met some. would ride as much as i could, even if it ment getting up at 0400 to ride. actually just got an email from the gang. the horse i use to ride doesn't have a rider anymore. poor girl. my friend doesn't trust anyone else on her besides me. awe... i'm missed. hopefully i can get down and ride when i go and visit. i know the riding boots and spurs are missing me in storage. i know i'm missing them.

saw my old riding instructor when i went back to wisconsin to visit. got to ride one of her horses around the arena for a bit. my sister-in-law just snuffed me. said even though i hadn't been on a horse in a few years, i still had perfect horse posture. you can take the horse from under the girl, but you can't take the girl off from on top of the horse.

Pascale
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
I have two Paso Finos myself (Nanci, I can't believe we don't know each other).

My mare is hysterical - she has enough personality for 3 horses, I swear. She's so much fun.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~pasos/july21.jpg

ColleenT
09-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Beautiful. Aren't Paso's on the shorter side?

Pascale
09-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Beautiful. Aren't Paso's on the shorter side?

Generally 13.2 to 14.3 - I've known larger ones. I also know tons of men who are over 6' 2" who ride them, so it's not a really big issue (more mental on the part of the rider usually). My mare is 14.0, and I'm 5' 0" so she's perfect for me. Plus there's no kidney jarring!

But all horses are great - :)

horsemom
09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I ride endurance---50 and 100 mile cross country races. I have 7000 miles in competition in over 25 states. It is a hoot. Though it is a race, most riders are out there to enjoy the trail and acquire miles and good times. I have ridden on historic trails including the pony express (did 950 miles of it one summer- 50 miles a day) the Mormon trail, the Continental Divide, the Arizona trail and more.

I got a mtb because both of my mares are on 'rest' for the summer due to minor tendon injuries, one has been competing five years and one three. They are fat and shiny and roaming the pasture on vacation. They are bay arabian mares, 15 and 10 years old. I also have a 6 year old mare and a 3 1/2 year old gelding - all arabians, which is the primary breed used in endurance.

To learn more about endurance, go to AERC.org

I am a director and chair of the Horse Welfare committee for the AERC - American Endurance Ride Conference, which sanctions and keeps records. You can go the 'rider history' page and search my name and find my entire lifetime record.

I love my horses, but it has been nice to take the summer off and learn mtb skills- I am really enjoying it.

Ride on-

Laura Hayes

roshelleuop
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
I own"ed" a 6 year old 1/2 thouroughbred 1/2 quarterhorse palamino gelding. I rode hunter/jumper and have been riding since I was a little girl. Been through several horses.

Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago I sold him. This season I had to make a decision whether I wanted to continue riding horses or continue training for triathlons. Well, I made my decision and he is now owned by the sweet girl who had been 1/2 leasing him for me through the summer (while I was out on my bike!!!)

Roshelle from Milwaukee

ColleenT
09-12-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm so glad that i am not the only one with a bike and horse habit..i love my horse, he's a doll.

equus2
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I've always had horses, and have 4 right now, baby on the way. We board horses, trailride and I compete in endurance (or DID until gas went up last summer.) Ty, here in the avatar, is my endurance partner, and soul mate. Really.

GeorgiaPeach
03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
This thread is supporting my suspicion that my interest in horses led to my enjoyment of biking. There are lots of similarities - wind blowing in your face, going fast, enjoying beautiful scenery, and having freedom! Like many others, my first love was horses. I began riding at age 6 and with the support of my family rode for many years. I was really serious and did pony club, dressage, jumpers, foxhunting and three-day eventing up to the intermediate level. Soon I had to decide between college and horses and college won out. I did ride for fun at a local barn for a few years but I have really traded my saddle for my bike. I haven't sold my saddles or boots yet, though!

Though I love biking, I do miss the companionship of the wonderful horses I had growing up. It is hard for some people to understand that horses really do have personalities! They are such a joy to know. My DH has no clue... It is so hard to explain...

MillieNZ
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
She's a 14 yr hannovarian. and she's pretty much the 'The special one horse of a lifetime'

I've had her since she was 7 and we've competited in Show jumping & eventing for 5 years.................. i then put her in foal and decided to buy a bike to amuse myself waiting for the foal.................... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............so now Millie lives a life of luxury and hasn't been ridden since last year as I'm way to busy riding my 'other love of my life' my Ruby :D:D:D Millie doesn't care less as long as I reguarly feed and pamper her !

We're moving to the States some time next year and sadly I have to leave her here :( :( :( the cost to ship her is horrendous and then the cost of keeping them over there is way more expensive than here in New Zealand , from what I've found out, what it'll cost me to keep Millie here a month is about what it would cost a week in California ! Ouch....................Still she is going to stay with a very good friend who is going to breed from her, so a reasonably happy outcome......

My Ruby bike on the other hand will be packed and coming over with me !

Biciclista
03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
just for giggles, how much does it cost to ship a horse?

MillieNZ
03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
$12,000 NZ dollars :eek:

which at current exchange rate is about $6000 US to either SF or LA....

Oh and that's just the flight over........

eofelis
03-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I have two Paso Finos myself (Nanci, I can't believe we don't know each other).

My mare is hysterical - she has enough personality for 3 horses, I swear. She's so much fun.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~pasos/july21.jpg

I rode a PF stallion once at the Kentucky Horse Park. He was amazing!

I had been starting to ride again with a friend who has a retired h/j/event horse, a Buduonny (sp?) a Russian wb horse. But my friend just smashed her arm up in a dirt biking accident:eek: and won't be riding much anytime soon.

gnarwhal
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I must be in some kind of minority here not getting horse riding at all.
I have been on a horse, a couple of times many years ago and once about 2 years ago so it's not that i don't understand it from lack of exposure.

I just don't get why anyone would ride a horse at all. They're animals in their own right, don't they deserve not to be treated like slaves or beasts of burden simply placed here to do our bidding?

I really don't want to upset anyone or annoy anyone or have them think that i'm having a go about them being cruel or mean or anything like that, i just don't think people should ride horses and don't see why they do.

ginny
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
How have I missed this thread for so long? I have a nearly 7yo Morgan mare. I also have a nearly 3yo miniature burro. My mom tried to squelch the horse lover in me and wouldn't pay for riding lessons, but every time I have $5, I would go to the El Toro Marine Base and ride for an hour on one of their rental horses. I finally got a free lease on a beautiful King Ranch QH mare when I was in my late teens. When I turned 18, I walked down the road and bought my first horse :D. I bought a filly in college, paid for colic surgery, moved her to FL where she promptly died and broke my heart. I couldn't even look at horses for nearly 2 years. I didn't own a horse for seven years. I have had my mare for 2.5 years now and while we took a while to get used to each other, there is something about those big brown horse eyes that just melts me. I do love my bikes, and they won't share my secrets with anyone either, but I just am not that inclined to tell my bike my secrets or cry into my handlebars like a horse's mane. Also, my bike doesn't nicker at me when I go to the bike rack after work. On the other hand, my bike rarely bucks, and never spooks ;).

LoriO
03-22-2009, 09:43 PM
I sort of keep in the horse picture through the model horse hobby (these are "little plastic horses":D ). It's like model trains, but with horses. Creating miniatures. There are some amazing artists that are sculpting horses and casting them in resin. I've been doing that since 1981. I was very involved in customizing and showing in the 1990's. I've done little with that since I've been in college, but I hope to get back to it someday. I still visit modelhorseblab dot com regularly. It's a forum like this one. (I actually call this forum "girl bike blab" when I'm talking to my bf, he understands what I mean):D :D

Surly, you may be familiar with my friend Morgen Kilbourn's work! She is an artist and does amazing resins. Her site is www.artbymorgen.com.

And back to the original question, I have a 23 year old TB mare named Lizzy who I adore! At this point in our lives we are both more then content to just goof off and trail ride and enjoy ourselves.

MyLitespeed
03-23-2009, 01:29 AM
I use to have horses about 15 years ago, but after getting hurt badly on my last one, sold him and never looked back. This horse was a total nut case and I bought him on the advise of a friend. I just didn't know he was a nut at the time, should have gone with my instincts and bought a mare instead.

A gut feeling told me to NEVER EVER get on a horse again or I would DIE!

I have owned some great horses, two of which died from stones, that was heart breaking.

I love cycling and have never regretting not getting another horse, I figure it's just another faze in my life. It certainly has brought my husband and I closer together now that we have hobby we can share. I've made some great cycling friends and still keep in touch with two of my horse friends even though they have moved away.

lph
03-23-2009, 02:45 AM
I must be in some kind of minority here not getting horse riding at all.
I have been on a horse, a couple of times many years ago and once about 2 years ago so it's not that i don't understand it from lack of exposure.

I just don't get why anyone would ride a horse at all. They're animals in their own right, don't they deserve not to be treated like slaves or beasts of burden simply placed here to do our bidding?

I really don't want to upset anyone or annoy anyone or have them think that i'm having a go about them being cruel or mean or anything like that, i just don't think people should ride horses and don't see why they do.

I hope nobody minds the slight thread hijack, but this response had me intrigued. I love horses, owned one for years and have ridden for many years also semi-professionally, and I have never encountered this opinion. I'm not offended at all, just curious: do you feel the same way about all pets? Animals raised for food? Or is it the fact that horses are ridden that makes a difference to you?

If it helps, I can say that horses are extremely social animals who need a leader to follow and thrive around people and other horses. It's extremely hard to get a horse to do something it really doesn't want to, so for the most part I think horses ridden for pleasure are happy. I've ridden racehorses - think large, strong, high-strung and fast - and you definitely want to convince the horse that what you want it to do is what it wants to do... :D

tulip
03-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Why would anyone have a dog, for that matter? Take it for walks on a leash, make it guard your house, and obey you? Horses, like dogs, have been part of human culture for thousands of years. Neither are much "necessary" for transportation, guarding sheep, hunting anymore, but they are part of us.

I grew up riding and had a horse when I was a teenager. I haven't ridden much since college, though.

ginny
03-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I can say for sure regarding my Morgan mare, that she simply WON'T do anything unless she's pretty sure it's in her best interest. She is the kind of horse who could find herself in a very bad home due to her stubborness. She's a fighter, and would probably stand there and fight to her death in the wrong hands. For this reason, she needs a kind alpha human. It's imparative that I'm alpha with her, but it's also super important that she understand that I have her best interests in mind. Given that (very close) relationship, this mare would move heaven and earth for me. This is the kind of partnership you need to win at any competative equine sport. A 'beast' or a 'slave' won't give his/her best. The best horse trainers know this. Look at Hap Hansen and Suzie Hutchinson, they have had incredibly long careers in the show jumping world with a few remarkable horses and in Suzie's case, her horse Woodstock competed on the west coast show jumping circuit into his 20's. I personally saw him turn himself inside out to get out of a bad spot the two of them found themselves in. A coerced horse wouldn't do that for his rider. He would pull a stop and the rider would kiss the dirt. Certainly, you are welcome to your opinion that horses shouldn't be ridden. They are very happy being lawn ornaments, but many horse owners, and many competative riders and a close and caring relationship with their horses.:o

gnarwhal
03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I hope nobody minds the slight thread hijack, but this response had me intrigued. I love horses, owned one for years and have ridden for many years also semi-professionally, and I have never encountered this opinion. I'm not offended at all, just curious: do you feel the same way about all pets? Animals raised for food? Or is it the fact that horses are ridden that makes a difference to you?

If it helps, I can say that horses are extremely social animals who need a leader to follow and thrive around people and other horses. It's extremely hard to get a horse to do something it really doesn't want to, so for the most part I think horses ridden for pleasure are happy. I've ridden racehorses - think large, strong, high-strung and fast - and you definitely want to convince the horse that what you want it to do is what it wants to do... :D

I don't feel this way about companion animals and if horses were kept as purely companion animals then i doubt i'd have this problem. But animals for food...well no frankly. I don't think animals should be food, nor do i think that people should use animals for our own gain/pleasure.

I have two failry close friends who keep horses and to be honest it really causes me some problems because when i've been up their farm to meet them i see them interacting with the horses. I like horses, they seem nice friendly animals (most of the ones i've met anyway) but i've seen my friends slap, kick and shout at the horses just to get them to move or go where they want them to. Now fair enough if you "want" an animal to do something and it won't do it there's not a lot you can do, but there's no real need to lay hands on the animal. Also i don't think you can invest in them human emotions and human ideals. My friend will often say "I took X horse out and she wouldn't jump she was being stupid all day long" a horse cannot be stupid by the same measures as a human can, nor can a dog or a hamster or a bird.

chicago
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
yep I ride every week!!:D

Take lessons weekly and just this past weekend, my trainer gave me permission to come and ride my sweet Saddlebred Lady one night during the week by myself.. without my trainer, yay!!

I take the big quarter horses on trail... but I ride the Saddlebred in the inside and outdoor arena. Hopefully one day I'll be skilled enough to handle her on trail. My trainer says I will be there soon!!

tulip
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't feel this way about companion animals and if horses were kept as purely companion animals then i doubt i'd have this problem. But animals for food...well no frankly. I don't think animals should be food, nor do i think that people should use animals for our own gain/pleasure.

I have two failry close friends who keep horses and to be honest it really causes me some problems because when i've been up their farm to meet them i see them interacting with the horses. I like horses, they seem nice friendly animals (most of the ones i've met anyway) but i've seen my friends slap, kick and shout at the horses just to get them to move or go where they want them to. Now fair enough if you "want" an animal to do something and it won't do it there's not a lot you can do, but there's no real need to lay hands on the animal. Also i don't think you can invest in them human emotions and human ideals. My friend will often say "I took X horse out and she wouldn't jump she was being stupid all day long" a horse cannot be stupid by the same measures as a human can, nor can a dog or a hamster or a bird.

Sounds like you need new friends. Seriously, no one should be kicking animals. Nudging, moving, okay, but not kicking.

kermit
03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
My Litespeed-I think you are my long lost twin. I too have had horses, two jumpers and competed for years. Still have friends that have made it their profession, one actually in the Olympics twice. I myself have been hurt badly by horses. First break at 17, three weeks before high school graduation, thrown off an ex-racehorse learning to be a hunter. He threw me into the railing made out of telephone poles. Broken hip, broken back and collapsed lung. The worst part was graduating high school in a wheel chair. Fast forward, a few minor spills, horse trips at take off at a jump, I fall, horse lands on my head, a few stitches. Took a long break, after selling my jumper to pay for school. Eight years ago, got the bug, started riding for free for a trainer and found a bargain. A ten year old warmblood, been there, done that, jumped anything. Was used at several lesson barns and the owner didn't want him to teach forever. Perfect fit, well let's say that horses are TRUE creatures of habit. He learned to take advantage of the kids and was having a bad day. Turned around on me, kicked me in the face and elbow. Four operations in two days, orbital bone fracture and major plastic surgery. Rods in elbow. Bought a road bike and never looked back. I look at any expense for cycling as cheaper that a horse anyday. Really miss it but, my karma is way off when I'm around them.

lph
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Ok, thanks for clarifiying, gnarwahl.

amarantha
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
There are a few of us in our dressage group who are also avid cyclists (especially mountain biking). We have a blog that tries to present opinions from the equine point of view ([url]www.feathertouchranch.wordpress.com)./url] I think having a background in cycling also gives us more empathy towards our horses,and a greater appreciation of the need for an athletic frame, both rider and horse.
Can't say which is more fun, though. Asking for, and getting the correct move from my horse is as satisfying as making it through a tough technical section of singletrack on the bike! The biggest difference is the reward I get from interaction and communication with the horses. I do wish people treated their horses more gracefully and it would help if many of them would learn to ride better. At least the bikes don't have feelings (well, maybe sometimes), and I don't cringe when someone abuses their bike...unless it's a bike I covet.

smurfalicious
03-23-2009, 08:31 PM

When I got my mountain bike four score and seven years ago my friend Lance, who is the definition of a buckaroo, laughed and said, "You've got a horse with four good legs, why would you get off him and pedal a bike?"

So I guess I could see why someone wouldn't understand riding horses. First off, there are several countries that wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for horses. Heck, my home state of Oregon might not even exist yet! Mail system? Modern transportation? Horses have been integral to society and man has treated them accordingly. Had people not seen a use for them, horses quite likely would have died off. Oh and unless you don't eat beef you'd be going without steaks were it not for horses. From feed lots to large ranches, horses can do things no 4-wheeler can.

I ride because nothing can compare to that bond, to progress and grow together. My first horse was a rescue and had been severely abused for years. Every "trainer" we worked with deemed him a lost case but I persisted. I "listened" to him and figured out how he wanted things explained to him. After months of work I polished him up and took him to a show. By that time I control his speed and direction with the slightest squeeze of my legs, or shift of my weight and on a bad day a tip of the reins. In fact, I could stop him by shifting more weight onto my butt. He moved out in a gorgeously collected frame with smooth, flowing gaits. His mane and tail were both gleaming long. He looked, amazing.

So the day before the show I was in the arena half doing a test run, half screwing around with other 13 year old girls. As I walked him to a stall someone who hadn't seen us in years approached us. Apparently she'd since us riding and looked shocked. "Is THAT Buddy?" She asked. Yep, captain crazy useless horse, in the flesh.

My current horse, PJ, has been with me since he was a wee lad. I can't say who is more amazing between the two because they've both been such a pleasure. Training PJ from the ground up is like nothing I've ever done. He is such a character! And he's packed with the two most important things can have, try and "want to." Oh and curious? He wants to check out and be into everything. I've been running barrels on him and he's so amazing. My trainer used to laugh at me when I'd get nervous. "That horse wouldn't let a thing happen to you! He's going to take care of you, and you're not going to get hurt so let him goooo!"

When he was a fidgety little baby I wanted to do something with him other than feed him and watch him grow, so I trained him for longe line, in hand trail, showmanship, and halter. He was so amazing at showmanship! It took just the slightest bit of body language from me to get him to walk, trot, stop, back, and pivot on his hind end. He was so good that even when we blew part of our pattern at a show I just kept smiling and made sure the finish was flawless and we placed VERY well.

He's been out sorting cattle on the ranch we lived on and an ex boyfriend's. Talk about a cow killin' beast. Sometimes he gets a little too into it. They say for horses that it's a chance to be on top of the food chain and for some that goes to their head. He's a mighty fine little roping horse too. The squirrelly cows that he really has to track seem to be his favorite, likes the challenge.

I dunno, I can get faster and stronger on my bike, but it's nothing like having a true partnership with an animal. Knowing that at a moments notice he toss my on my butt or take off with me, but he chooses to do what I ask is pretty special. I can upgrade old Candy all day long, bling her out in Dura-Ace but she's still going to be an old, heavy, steel bike. On the other hand I can take a horse that might not be going so well, and so long as they have the heart I can achieve some pretty impressive things.

My horse would go nuts if I wasn't out there doing stuff with him all the time. I'm sure there are those that could stand around forever, but we've been breeding for intelligence for generations, so most need to do stuff. PJ and Buddy both required constant challenges and new things. Once they "got it" it was time to try something else. Thus why both horses were started to drive and PJ will likely be finished in driving this summer.

I don't think riding a handful of times really qualifies one to assess what the whole horse thing is about. That's like me buying a department store "mountain bike" and riding it down a dirt road and deciding mountain biking sucks and trails should be for hikers only.

Anyway, my rant/ramble is over. Here are some fine examples of horses that are definitely partners, not slaves or beasts of burden. Warning that both of these make me cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7v8Ck1crg

I'd marry this guy for his beautiful seat and hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

He could ride my horses any day, swoon, swoon, swoon.

oxysback
03-24-2009, 05:39 AM
That Stacy Westfall video has been a favorite of mine for awhile. I could watch over and over and still be amazed at the things that pair can do!

arielmoon
03-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I have a 12 year old Arabian gelding that I ride dressage. His name is Iceberg and he is awesome.

I became a vegan for health reasons over a year ago and joined a live journal community where I discovered that it was not vegan from an animal rights perspective to ride a horse. During this time I discovered cycling and my horse is enjoying more free time. I will admit that it is something I struggle with. Even though I am extreme about my eating habits (healthy vegan here) I try to be well rounded in my outlook on the world. The reason I say that is because if riding is cruel then even owning a pet could be considered a form of abuse if taken to the extreme. I dont know where the line is but I believe the fact that I do not eat animals and no animals suffer for me that I am making a small difference that may or may not offset the riding of my horse.

chicago
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
When I got my mountain bike four score and seven years ago my friend Lance, who is the definition of a buckaroo, laughed and said, "You've got a horse with four good legs, why would you get off him and pedal a bike?"

So I guess I could see why someone wouldn't understand riding horses. First off, there are several countries that wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for horses. Heck, my home state of Oregon might not even exist yet! Mail system? Modern transportation? Horses have been integral to society and man has treated them accordingly. Had people not seen a use for them, horses quite likely would have died off. Oh and unless you don't eat beef you'd be going without steaks were it not for horses. From feed lots to large ranches, horses can do things no 4-wheeler can.

I ride because nothing can compare to that bond, to progress and grow together. My first horse was a rescue and had been severely abused for years. Every "trainer" we worked with deemed him a lost case but I persisted. I "listened" to him and figured out how he wanted things explained to him. After months of work I polished him up and took him to a show. By that time I control his speed and direction with the slightest squeeze of my legs, or shift of my weight and on a bad day a tip of the reins. In fact, I could stop him by shifting more weight onto my butt. He moved out in a gorgeously collected frame with smooth, flowing gaits. His mane and tail were both gleaming long. He looked, amazing.

So the day before the show I was in the arena half doing a test run, half screwing around with other 13 year old girls. As I walked him to a stall someone who hadn't seen us in years approached us. Apparently she'd since us riding and looked shocked. "Is THAT Buddy?" She asked. Yep, captain crazy useless horse, in the flesh.

My current horse, PJ, has been with me since he was a wee lad. I can't say who is more amazing between the two because they've both been such a pleasure. Training PJ from the ground up is like nothing I've ever done. He is such a character! And he's packed with the two most important things can have, try and "want to." Oh and curious? He wants to check out and be into everything. I've been running barrels on him and he's so amazing. My trainer used to laugh at me when I'd get nervous. "That horse wouldn't let a thing happen to you! He's going to take care of you, and you're not going to get hurt so let him goooo!"

When he was a fidgety little baby I wanted to do something with him other than feed him and watch him grow, so I trained him for longe line, in hand trail, showmanship, and halter. He was so amazing at showmanship! It took just the slightest bit of body language from me to get him to walk, trot, stop, back, and pivot on his hind end. He was so good that even when we blew part of our pattern at a show I just kept smiling and made sure the finish was flawless and we placed VERY well.

He's been out sorting cattle on the ranch we lived on and an ex boyfriend's. Talk about a cow killin' beast. Sometimes he gets a little too into it. They say for horses that it's a chance to be on top of the food chain and for some that goes to their head. He's a mighty fine little roping horse too. The squirrelly cows that he really has to track seem to be his favorite, likes the challenge.

I dunno, I can get faster and stronger on my bike, but it's nothing like having a true partnership with an animal. Knowing that at a moments notice he toss my on my butt or take off with me, but he chooses to do what I ask is pretty special. I can upgrade old Candy all day long, bling her out in Dura-Ace but she's still going to be an old, heavy, steel bike. On the other hand I can take a horse that might not be going so well, and so long as they have the heart I can achieve some pretty impressive things.

My horse would go nuts if I wasn't out there doing stuff with him all the time. I'm sure there are those that could stand around forever, but we've been breeding for intelligence for generations, so most need to do stuff. PJ and Buddy both required constant challenges and new things. Once they "got it" it was time to try something else. Thus why both horses were started to drive and PJ will likely be finished in driving this summer.

I don't think riding a handful of times really qualifies one to assess what the whole horse thing is about. That's like me buying a department store "mountain bike" and riding it down a dirt road and deciding mountain biking sucks and trails should be for hikers only.

Anyway, my rant/ramble is over. Here are some fine examples of horses that are definitely partners, not slaves or beasts of burden. Warning that both of these make me cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7v8Ck1crg

I'd marry this guy for his beautiful seat and hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

He could ride my horses any day, swoon, swoon, swoon.

love your post!:)

chicago
03-30-2009, 03:57 AM
I rode this cow yesterday, LOL. His name is Charlie... we call him Chuckie:D.. he's about 1,800-2,000lbs. ... and he is sooo sweet. I rode him bareback, LOL... it was great

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/pigfinn/IMG_1243.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/pigfinn/IMG_1249.jpg

Roadrunner
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM
My hubby and I both go horse riding occasionally. Since we moved up here we've not managed as often. There doesn't seem to be a lot of hacking stables in this area. We mostly go when we're on holiday these days.

ladyicon
03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Smurf, that post you wrote made me tear up, but then that video made me cry. What those 2 have together is something sooooo special. Don't bother trying to explain in words......it comes from the heart.
I have ridden my whole life and have seen that trust grow, there is nothing like it in the world.:D

Biciclista
03-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Chicago,
that's not a cow, that's a draft horse. Looks like he's got fine belgian blood in his veins.

kenyonchris
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I am a trainer...I train event horses and riders. I also am the instructor for our mounted patrol unit for our police department. I used to train full time (coached three young riders to gold medals at NAYRC) but it just wore me out. Now I have several students who are happy doing lower levels, which is fine with me...sending those kids out around the prelim or intermediate was a lot of stress!!
RIding for me is a job...I keep the horses tuned up. I seldom get the zen satisfaction from riding the horses...I am generally riding work, concentrating and getting the job done. Occasionally I will relax and go for a stroll, but the event horses are generally pretty fit and spooky...they tend to jump out from under you if you aren't paying attention. Riding the bike is much more relaxing!

kenyonchris
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I hit submit too soon...
I meant to add that I read all the stories of everyone who rides for fun (as opposed to work these days) and I can remember riding for the joy of it. I rode through Grand Prix dressage, trained under the old school discipline of the BHS, and it squeezed a lot of the true meaning of riding out of it for me over time. I have been very lucky to have had a number of truly great equine athletes to work with...I still have my old dressage horse...he is 36! He did piaffe and passage until he was 25 and looked like he was 10 doing it. But working with such terrific horses has made other horses .... I don't know...just horses. I can't tell you how many people have told me that they wanted to ride like me, and I wish I could ride like them! Just enjoying the ride! You guys enjoy your rides....

smurfalicious
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh Chicago that hug, that says it all right there! I love the drafties! We had 5 at the guest ranch and they were my babies. One summer the barn gals we had were scared of them and they'd enter the pasture whip in hand afraid they'd come near them. Whut!?!?!?!

I rode ones that were solely broke to drive and they could care less. Oh how I loved hugging them, and their big, broad comfy backs. We had a draft cross named Junior who for the longest time didn't realize he was big. His best buddy was a little white pony and he'd pack around kids no problem.

I have zero use for one but I've always wanted a draft. Maybe some day, for grins and giggles.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say Chuckie was perhaps a Breton? http://www.worldofhorses.co.uk/horses_usa/breeds/Images/Breton_horse.jpg Or some sort of Belgian cross.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Here's an old photo of me and my horse, Sebastian. This was 42 years ago (yikes!) :eek: in 1967 when I was 13. I had to give him up two years later due to events beyond my control. I never got another horse, but I always remember how big and how sweet he was, and he gave me some of my happiest memories. He did have some draft blood in him and was heavy boned, but that made him a good hunter in rough terrain. (The photo was damaged in a house fire in the upper left corner)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3399593231_50f0757174.jpg

lph
03-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I loooove the curve of Charlies neck. What a sweetheart! :)