PDA

View Full Version : Any Fall Marathons/Half Marathons?

kaybee
09-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Is anyone out there planning a fall marathon or half marathon? I just made reservations in Memphis for the St. Jude Half on December 2. Very exciting! Does anyone else have similar plans? We can cry one each other's shoulders during training. ;)

KB

liksani
09-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Hmm, doing San Jose rock n roll half in early Oct, and Nike Women's Full Marathon in late October in San Francisco. :P

limewave
09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm running in an October Fest 1/2 Marathon, Sept 23
And then the infamous Chicago on Oct 22 to celebrate our daughter's first birthday and our 3rd anniversary!

I do need a shoulder to cry on. I've been having ruptured ovarian cyst issues--nothing like running with a knife wedged in your side and then spending the next three days puking. Plus I have some excessive skin issues from weight-loss that are causing wonderfully painful soars every week. Even with all the problems, the long runs are strangely addicting . . .

I'm planning my first 20-mile run next week sometime.

maillotpois
09-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Since I can't ride for four more months, I am doing the Nike Womens' marathon in SF in October as well. I haven't done a marathon since 2000. I must be a runner now, though, because I lost a toenail. :p

The Rock & Roll half is up in the air. I am actually on the board of directors for that event. Crazy. People who know me well know that my mantra since I bought a bike has been "running sucks", so to actually be officially involved in a running event is wacky.

Since I got such a late start (didn't start training til about 3 weeks ago), I am run/walking. Did my 15 miler in 3 hours, so that's not too bad. I'd like to come in under 6 hours. I know that's pretty pathetic, but we can cut the girl with blood clots in her lungs some slack... :cool:

colby
09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
How timely! :) I just "officially" signed up for the Seattle Marathon (http://www.seattlemarathon.org) today, after starting my training anyway. I guess now I'm mentally committed, for real. It's November 26th.

I am also going to do a half marathon on October 15th, it lines up with a close day on my training plan, and no travel required (just a 30 minute drive) so it's convenient. I just decided this about... 15 minutes ago. :) The Half Marathon is at the Spokane Marathon (http://www.spokanemarathon.us). I figure this keeps me on my training plan, and I'll be prepared.

The Nike womens full marathon looked REALLY cool, but lined up too closely with the summer triathlon stuff I did for adequate training. Also required more travel considerations, but I can always use an excuse for travel to San Francisco! :p

Good luck to everyone :D We need our own calendar so we know who to cheer on when! Maybe we should set up a TE Member Events Calendar at Google Calendars (http://www.google.com/calendar )??

maillotpois
09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
There's a calendar here - it's a little hurky to use, but I added the Nike Women's marathon to it!

kaybee
09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Okay, you ladies are making me feel like a wimp for "only" doing a half. Do I get any extra credit for being OLD? ;)

KB

maillotpois
09-06-2006, 12:29 PM
kaybee you get extra credit just for running. We all do!

But I think limewave wins the prize. Yikes - sounds like you're having a tough time!!!

colby
09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
There's a calendar here - it's a little hurky to use, but I added the Nike Women's marathon to it!

Duh, THAT's what that calendar link at the top is for :o I see it has all the birthdays on it, wow. I must have totally missed that before now!

Running Mommy
09-06-2006, 02:14 PM
I will be AT the NYC marathon in November... Does that count??:p
I've actually done that race 4 times, but I just can't train for another falll mary in this Phoenix heat. So I'm going to cheer on my cousin.
I'll be running WDW in Jan tho...

bikergal
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I am also doing the San Jose Rock n Roll half marathon and the Nike Full marathon in October! It's coming fast!! I'm doing an 18 mile training this weekend.

Shelley

btchance
09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm planning on doing the Huntsville Half on Nov. 11. Was going for the Rocketman mary, but just don't have the time for those long runs. good luck to you all!!

Lise
09-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm doing the Banco Popular 1/2 marathon here in Chicago on 10/1. Since the triathlon, I've barely run at all, I've been so wiped out. But I got back in the (biking) saddle yesterday, and I'm picking the running back up on Friday.

Limewave, good for you for doing the Marathon! It's a nice course--I did it last year. My favorite parts were "Boys Town", the gay neighborhood, where they really put on a show for the runners, and Chinatown, with drummers and a dragon. And, of course, the finish line! :p I'll be there, cheering for a friend.

My friend, Darryn, went to midwifery school with me. He was very heavy then, but over the years, he got up to about 475#. He had the bariatric surgery, and now is around 225#. He's been training for the marathon since the spring. I plan to ride my bike down to the course and cheer for him at various points. It makes SUCH a difference to know people are out there cheering for you!

Limewave--I'll be cheering for you, too!

Lise
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm planning on doing the Huntsville Half on Nov. 11. Was going for the Rocketman mary, but just don't have the time for those long runs. good luck to you all!!
That's why I decided not to do a full marathon again. The long runs made it impossible to do much biking, which is my true love.

RunMamaRun
09-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok, you ladies far outdo me! I am only running an 8k in October...saving all my energy to train for a measly 1/2 marathon in the spring...the Med City Half (that is if they don't call it on account of it being too hot!)

That said, you are an inspiration!

Limewave, wow! Sorry about all the medical problems. I know what ovarian pain is like...I was diagnosed with one just before I started running this past spring. Hang in there. And even though I won't be around I will be cheering you on too! Good luck!

RunMamaRun

limewave
09-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Okay, I think this is the condensed list of everyone's events thus far:

btchance Huntsville 1/2 November 11
colby Seattle Marathon November 26
Lise Chicago 1/2 Marathon October 01
Liksani Nike Marathon October 22
maillotpois Nike Marathon October 22
bikergal Nike Marathon October 22
limewave Chicago Marathon October 22
Kaybee St. Jude 1/2 Marathon December 02
RunningMommy WDW Marathon January 8

kaybee
09-07-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks for putting together the list, Limewave. You ladies never cease to inspire and amaze me. Will the cyst pain go away sometime soon? I can't imagine running with that kind of pain.

What if we have a weekly thread (maybe on Mondays, since most people do their long runs on weekends) to post our long runs and seek or give support, advice, etc.? Some of us probably have training partners, but sometimes it helps to have someone else to talk to, and for those that are training alone, a support system is very important.

KB

Deborajen
09-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Good luck to all of you!

I'm going to do the Wichita Half Marathon on Sept. 24. I just want to finish. I just did my first 10K in May, having been running for 4 1/2 years. You girls doing the full marathon rock! But I'd never consider a half marathon wimpy.

I just did an 8-mile run yesterday with 6 of it doing "speedwork." I have to laugh a little at the "speed" part since going that far it seems more like "regular-speed jog" than "slow-motion jog," but it felt awesome to complete it and still feel good.

I'll be thinking of all of you. I don't have a training partner - everyone else goes too fast for me or they give up if they can only go my speed. But I still love it. There's something about conquering the distance that's rewarding no matter what.

Deb

Beverly Fay
09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I must say, ladies, those races sound very plebeian to me!

How about coming over to this side of the pond where, on 1 October, you go to Letterkenny in County Donegal and do what is being billed as a Mooathon.

It's a half marathon where everyone has to at least dress in black and white, and at best, as a cow! The race sponsor is -- surprise! surprise! -- a dairy.

In case you think I'm making this up, have a look:

http://www.mooathon.com

Regards and best wishes to all of you with your various races -- even if they're not mooathons -- from Beverly

colby
09-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Regards and best wishes to all of you with your various races -- even if they're not mooathons -- from Beverly

The Mooathon sounds awesome! I would so do a mooathon if we had one here!

colby
09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
What if we have a weekly thread (maybe on Mondays, since most people do their long runs on weekends) to post our long runs and seek or give support, advice, etc.? Some of us probably have training partners, but sometimes it helps to have someone else to talk to, and for those that are training alone, a support system is very important.

Good idea, KB. Hearing what works and doesn't work for some people might give us good ideas, and since we'll be at different points in our training you might be able to give pointers or read up on what you can expect.

Maybe we go weekly - the first person to finish their long run for the week starts the thread. We'd have to agree on how we determine the week -- does it start on Monday (longest run for the week starting Monday ending following Sunday), or Sunday (longest run for the week starting Sunday ending following Saturday), that kind of thing. I guess the daily ride reports avoid that by just being daily ;)

maillotpois
09-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Beverly - the Mooathon sounds wonderful. I wish we had one!!

Lise
09-08-2006, 04:47 AM
The Mooathlon looks like so much fun!

And I want the sweatshirt (or maybe just the fine Irish lad in the sweatshirt...:p ) http://www.mooathon.com/cowapparel.htm

kaybee
09-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Beverly, the Mooathon sounds like a blast! There have been times when I've felt like a cow, slogging through the heat and humidity here!

Deborahjen, we can be your virtual training partners. How long will your longest run be before your half? When will you do it? (See, sharing and encouraging already.) :D

I know what you mean about speedwork. Fast I am not, so I gave up on speedwork a long time ago. It seemed like I was always hurting myself, so it wasn't doing me any good anyway. I just want to finish my half without walking a step. (Okay, I'll admit it, I would also like to finish it under 2:15, which would be a 10:30 per-mile average.)

Colby, I agree that we need to decide whether the week will run Sunday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, or something else. I don't have a preference. Does anyone else?

KB

limewave
09-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Does everyone finish their "week" with their long run? That's what I do, but it varies from Saturday to Sunday.

Would it be weird if our running week went from Monday to Sunday? . . . just a thought.

Kaybee--my goal is to finish my half in under 2:15 too. My dream would be to finish in uder 2 hours (ha, ha).

Brina
09-08-2006, 08:20 AM
I am doing a half in San Diego on November 19. I even talked dh into doing the 5K. A nice romantic weekend in San Diego with a half marathon in the middle.

colby
09-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Does everyone finish their "week" with their long run? That's what I do, but it varies from Saturday to Sunday.

Would it be weird if our running week went from Monday to Sunday? . . . just a thought.

Kaybee--my goal is to finish my half in under 2:15 too. My dream would be to finish in uder 2 hours (ha, ha).

I think Monday to Sunday actually fits with most training programs that I've seen. They all seem to start Monday with long runs Saturday or Sunday.

I'm hoping to finish my half marathon in the middle of my marathon training similarly to you guys, under 2:15. It's a hilly course, though, so I'm a little worried. I also don't want to kill myself for my marathon training, so I'll have to take it a little easy or I'll end up taking extra days off and getting behind. The half marathon I did earlier in the year was after no real ramp-up or training -- I had never ran more than 12k in my life until that day, and the 12k was 3 weeks prior ;) I have been doing 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week for a long time (months before the 12k and HM), though it felt a little aimless and I don't think it was really adequate training. A base, sure, but not really with any goal in mind.

Since this is my first year, I'm approaching everything with caution, maybe more than I should. I'm just afraid to push myself too hard and pay the price. After I've got a few things under my belt, maybe I'll kick it up a notch. I've already learned a lot about training (set a goal, follow a plan, vary your distances and speeds) that will really help me next year.

colby
09-08-2006, 08:59 AM
I am doing a half in San Diego on November 19. I even talked dh into doing the 5K. A nice romantic weekend in San Diego with a half marathon in the middle.
I tried that with mine ("you can do the 5k!"), but he'd rather take his laptop and surf the web at starbucks for 2 hours and meet me at the finish ;) He did do the 12k, but so did thousands of other people, including friends and people he could walk with.

My mother-in-law might be joining me at the marathon, though she won't be doing the marathon distance. She may do the half marathon or 5k distances, either as a walk or a jog/walk. Maybe with our powers combined we could guilt my husband and father-in-law into walking the 5k! It's only 3 miles, right? ;)

kaybee
09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
LW -- I always finish my week with my long run on Saturday, so I can ride on Sunday. Then it's back to running Monday. It wouldn't be weird to have our running week go from Monday to Sunday -- 7 days is 7 days, any way you count it! Let's do it. Whoever logs on first Monday, just start the Marathon Training Thread for the Week of 9/11 (that's going to be a depressing day, isn't it?).

Colby -- it sounds like you are being very sensible, and I applaud you. On race day if you get to mile 7 and you're feeling froggy, you can always speed up. This is my third attempt at a half. The first two times I got too enthusiastic in my training and ended up injured. I'm determined to do it right this time. We can dream about finishing in under 2 hours, can't we? I'd have to work a lot harder and find a flat course (Memphis ain't it) to even come close, but it's nice to dream about.

Ladies, we each have a goal, we have plans to accomplish those goals, and we have a support system. Let's do it!!

KB

Deborajen
09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Deborahjen, we can be your virtual training partners. How long will your longest run be before your half? When will you do it? (See, sharing and encouraging already.) :D

Thanks for the encouragement!

My longest run will be 10 miles - a week from Sunday. The 8-mile run with speedwork earlier this week was the most intense, so I'm getting ready to start tapering. After this Sunday's run, which will be 9 miles, I'll have 21 miles for the week which is the weekly max.--

Limewave - My running week is Monday to Sunday with the longest run on Sunday. I only have two more training Sundays left. :eek:

So how do the rest of you cope with tight muscles from all of this? I'm doing extra stretching and hope to squeeze in a massage appointment this weekend.--

Deb

limewave
09-09-2006, 03:45 AM
DJ--I always take an ice bath after my long runs. It helps so much. I actually sit in the tub first and then turn on the water instead of just plunging into a huge tub of frigid water. I find cycling really helps with loosening up my legs too.

Well, girls, I'm supposed to do an 18 miler today but DH says he'll be working until 10 or 11 tonight. That leaves me with the little pooper. I'm hesitant about pushing her in the jogger that far. I've done 13 with her and she was great, but 18 miles is going to take me more than three hours. And I can't run on Sunday because we're riding in a tour all day. I don't know what to do . . .

kaybee
09-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Limewave, you're planning 18 miles for Saturday AND an all-day ride on Sunday? :eek: What a woman!

DJ -- The ice bath works, if you can stand it. Taking a little walk later in the day after a long run and stretching also help. I've also decided to treat myself to a few massages between now and the half.

KB

colby
09-09-2006, 10:28 AM
DJ--I always take an ice bath after my long runs. It helps so much. I actually sit in the tub first and then turn on the water instead of just plunging into a huge tub of frigid water. I find cycling really helps with loosening up my legs too.

I haven't tried the ice bath, but I agree about the cycling. Something about the motion helps stretch and loosen up my running muscles. Obviously a super-long ride after a super-long run would hurt, but if I make it a point to commute the next day (6 miles), it really seems to help.

Lise
09-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks to you ladies, I've finally started icing my legs. I did it for the first time last Tuesday, after a 40 mile ride.

Today after my 10 mile run, I tried limewave's trick, and sat in the tub as it filled. More bearable that way. I filled it with cold water, and put in an ice pack. It's a big, thoroughly frozen thing that came with some medication in the mail. After I'd soaked for awhile, I put the ice pack on top of each thigh for a minute or two. Then I took a warm shower, went out on my bike for 10 miles, came back and stretched. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but I'm feeling pretty good today! Thanks!

My greatest regret about the marathon is that I didn't ice afterward, and I came home and took a hot bath. HUGE mistake. If I were to do it again, I'd have a friend bring me bags of ice for my legs right after I finished.

Running Mommy
09-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Glad to see that you are ICING the legs!! That is the single most important thing to my recovery after a long workout- be it bike, run, or both.
ICE IS YOUR FRIEND!!! :D

maillotpois
09-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Did my 18 miler today. Great route, half paved and half dirt. Lots of climbing.

But - OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it that run/walking 15 + miles hurts more than any of the double centuries I ever did?? It almost hurts more than the 600k. It does, but my butt doesn't hurt like after the 600k! ;) My muscles are just so SORE! The first 2 miles is always hell because my shins hurt so much. I'm trying to be more diligent about heel walking during the week, which should help that. And I know it goes away after a couple of miles. But it really does slow me down.

I remember after my marathons, when I switched to cycling and did my first century. When I was done with the 100, I was ready to go around again and do another 100, and wondered WHAT was the equivalent of a marathon on a bike in terms of making you sore and tired. Well, I've done the Death Ride, a bunch of double centuries, a 600k, oodles of double metrics, and I still haven't found it! Nothing hurts me like running (or even, apparently, walking! :rolleyes: ).

So we're doing a weekly thread? I will report for duty Monday!! :p

colby
09-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Colby -- it sounds like you are being very sensible, and I applaud you. On race day if you get to mile 7 and you're feeling froggy, you can always speed up. This is my third attempt at a half. The first two times I got too enthusiastic in my training and ended up injured. I'm determined to do it right this time. We can dream about finishing in under 2 hours, can't we? I'd have to work a lot harder and find a flat course (Memphis ain't it) to even come close, but it's nice to dream about.

I must admit, I have a long run tomorrow and I am a little discouraged. This guy I work with has the "runner" body and can just up and run 8 minute miles like they are nothing. He doesn't run every day, but does so regularly. He'll pick up and run a 10 mile race at an 8:40 pace. We were discussing a 10mile race he's doing tomorrow, and the marathon came up... and I said he could ramp up to it with no problem, being complimentary and all, mentioned what the training is like (adding miles on long runs), and he said "well yeah, I could probably run one tomorrow and keep close to the same pace, though it sure would hurt the next day." Arrgh. I know he doesn't mean to be discouraging, it's just his personality and it's just a part of discussing something we both do... but today on my 3 mile prep run for tomorrow I just felt so slow (plus I took the dog, so we stopped and sniffed everything, next time I take the dog I'm not taking the watch ;)).

Reminds me of KSH's "why can't running be like swimming?" thread and Lise's "NOW can I get on my bike!?!?" post. That's how I feel... I know I'm slow on the bike, but I feel like if I trained, I could get faster. I know I have a decent swim time, but if I trained, I could do better. With running, I feel like I train, but I just don't get faster, and it's always hard. So when someone comes along that gets it so easily... it's just frustrating.

Maybe just complaining will make me feel better ;) I'll try to wipe it out of my mind for tomorrow.

Lise
09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I've pretty much decided (for the moment, at least), that after next year's 1/2 IM tri, I'll be done with the long runs. I do enjoy races, for the community and excitement, but I'll limit the running to 5, 8, or 10 km. The training for the longer runs is boring and time consuming. I'd much rather train for a century ride! Then maybe I could actually get a little faster on the run, instead of just going for endurance.

I'm thinking that I'll mostly do sprint tris, after next year...the 1/2 IM is a goal. But I'll be 47 next year, and I was so worn out after this last Oly tri that it was discouraging. We shall see. I can certainly get better at the training, core work, etc. But I want to do more that's fun and less that's genuinely painful! :cool: For me, that means more biking, and less swimming and running. Not *no* tris--they remain my favorite. But less suffering with each one.

colby
09-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I've pretty much decided (for the moment, at least), that after next year's 1/2 IM tri, I'll be done with the long runs. I do enjoy races, for the community and excitement, but I'll limit the running to 5, 8, or 10 km. The training for the longer runs is boring and time consuming. I'd much rather train for a century ride! Then maybe I could actually get a little faster on the run, instead of just going for endurance.

I'm hoping slower and longer is going to mean faster when I go back to shorter distances ;) I'm hoping if I train for goals (I also want to do 1/2 IM next year), it will make my running more specific, and I will get faster instead of just falling into a rut and/or being bored (I year you on those long runs!). I really want to do a full IM sometime in the future, at least once, but I think it'll be a few years.

I really want to do a century and other bike events, too. Sometimes it seems an aspiring triathlete's job is never done ;)

maillotpois
09-10-2006, 08:04 AM
You guys will be amazed at how much better your body will feel after a century than it does after a long run. I swear. After my first century, I swore I would never run or do a marathon again unless being chased by a pack of dogs. So here I am....

Lise
09-10-2006, 10:11 AM
You guys will be amazed at how much better your body will feel after a century than it does after a long run. I swear. After my first century, I swore I would never run or do a marathon again unless being chased by a pack of dogs. So here I am....
Well, you're sort of being chased into it by a pack of emboli...

I do love the cycling. I also love the strategy of triathlon. If cycling got taken away, I could see doing more distance running. MP, when does your doc think you can ride again?

Shiraz
09-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree! I have never felt so tired and fatigued then after finishing a marathon. It took me two weeks to feel "normal" after my first and almost a week after my second. But I can bike a century and back to back centuries (STP) and still feel tired but not like I have been run over by a mack truck, so that's why I have been doing halfs. I just must not been made to run the marathons. I follow training plans and cover the miles too. My hat is off to all of you ladies who can run marathon after marathon.

Lise, I agree I am missing my biking time. It is hard because you want to do both and there isn't enough time for both.

My family is planning to do the Las Vegas half in December. Anybody doing this one?

colby
09-20-2006, 02:46 PM
... today on my 3 mile prep run for tomorrow I just felt so slow (plus I took the dog, so we stopped and sniffed everything, next time I take the dog I'm not taking the watch ;)).

I'm replying to myself and this is an old thread, but I had to share my general progress. I started serious marathon training after my tri at the end of August. That's about a month now. Before that, I was running about 5 miles 5 days a week at about an 11 minute mile pace, and could not get faster, but didn't really care to either because I was stuck in "I hate running, maybe today I will bike instead" land ;)

Today was the first 5-miler for a few weeks, really since I seriously started training. And, drumroll please, today I finished 5 miles in 50 minutes, just about on the dot. A 10 minute mile pace, YAY. I'll take what little improvement I can get :D

Back to the long march...

Lise
09-20-2006, 04:05 PM
YAY! I know how hard it is to get back on that horse. And, given the choice, I will ride rather than run. But...13.1 miles on my bike is no big deal. 13.1 miles on my feet is hard and takes training. So I'll be running tomorrow morning! You GO--believe me, I think about my TE pals when I'm out there. I say, "Colby's doing it, Limewave's doing it, Denise (RM)'s doing it...etc." Then *I* can do it.

colby
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
YAY! I know how hard it is to get back on that horse. And, given the choice, I will ride rather than run. But...13.1 miles on my bike is no big deal. 13.1 miles on my feet is hard and takes training. So I'll be running tomorrow morning! You GO--believe me, I think about my TE pals when I'm out there. I say, "Colby's doing it, Limewave's doing it, Denise (RM)'s doing it...etc." Then *I* can do it.

Glad I'm not the only one! I think of you guys when it's one of those rough days, especially on the long runs (which are often "I HAVE to finish this so I can report back!"). I also think "I know the girls on the forum will understand..." even if I don't end up posting about whatever it is I'm thinking about. Some days I imagine us as a big string, pulling each other along... sometimes that's for my benefit, sometimes that's for you guys when I read about your challenges. We're a big peloton of runners, right? ;)

kaybee
09-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Yay Colby! Congratulations on the 10-min. pace. You just needed a break. Keep up the good work.

KB

limewave
09-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Congrats on your improvement Colby!

And, I do think of you guys as my running peloton too. I thought that two weeks ago when I did my 18-miler. I just kept thinking, I can't quit because I can't face the TE Women if I punk out on my long run.

katie
09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey ladies, I'm just getting back into running after nursing an injury (right in the middle of summer--major booty) and am going to train for a spring marathon or maybe CIM, I know that one is early spring or late winter right? I'll definitely be back here for more support, running clubs are not an option for me right now ): Good luck on the Nike Womens in October everyone, the weather will be geoooooorgeous!

mcoleman
09-22-2006, 12:50 PM
DH and I are doing the Kiawah marathon 12/9, so we are looking at 14 miles in the morning.

liksani
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Hmm.. am I insane :(? I'm already registered for SJ rock'n'roll' 1/2 marathon on Oct 8 and Nike full marathon on Oct 22. But then I went ahead and registered for the Silicon Valley full marathon on Oct 29 because I'm trying to aim to do the SJ Hat Trick (Almaden 10k, SJ rock'n'roll 1/2, and Silicon Valley full) so I can get a nifty whatever it is that you get. This shall be...interesting I think. :eek:

Grog
09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Hmm.. am I insane :(? I'm already registered for SJ rock'n'roll' 1/2 marathon on Oct 8 and Nike full marathon on Oct 22. But then I went ahead and registered for the Silicon Valley full marathon on Oct 29 because I'm trying to aim to do the SJ Hat Trick (Almaden 10k, SJ rock'n'roll 1/2, and Silicon Valley full) so I can get a nifty whatever it is that you get. This shall be...interesting I think. :eek:

Wow! My hat is up for you, that's an awful lot of marathoning back-to-back!

Good luck!

mooathon
10-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Mooooo!
It's amazing to be sitting at work in Dublin and find this chat board with people talking about our little race!
hahaha and the hunky guy in the Mooathon top is myself the race director!
We had the race yesterday and it was a total blast!
I'll be putting up photos of the runners and some of the fancy dress later this week so make sure to check the website: www.mooathon.com
Everyone had a great time and we had 8 people from New York who had so much fun they have promised to come back next year! We managed to raise over €4,000 for charity as well, So mark your calendars for 1st october 2007!
If anyone would like to ask any questions about the race feel free to e-mail me and I hope I'll get the chance to run with some of you sometime!
Take care
Sean
Mooathon Race Director

maillotpois
10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
greetings roving running peloton!

did my 20 miler Saturday. I still am not thrilled about running! nike will be a sufferfest!

katie - I did CIM back in 1999. it was a pretty "easy" marathon. flat, cold, dreary, good support. have fun with it.

yeah limewave, you are crazy!! I am not doing rock & roll, but will probably be at the concert. I am on the advisory board for the event (a tremendous irony since my personal motto is "running sucks"), so I get vip passes and all. it seems silly to not go - and I like Train. I will bring my daughter to the concert. have fun at the event!

Beverly Fay
10-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Greetings, ladies. Sorry to have been away for awhile. My back let me know in no uncertain terms that 12 hours a day at a computer is not what the human race was designed for.

I see that my throw-away post about the Mooathon actually raised a contribution to this forum from the Race Director, a most comely gent, as others among us have noted.

I felt rather abashed, since he had looked for me at the race and didn't find me for the good reason that I wasn't there. I will, of course, have to sign up for this event next year, after all of this.

Meanwhile, I've made a commitment to train through the winter this year (and Irish winters are pretty hard to train through, let me tell you) and have signed up for the Bath Half Marathon in England for encouragement. That's one of the major races in people's London Marathon preparations, and I've always wanted to do it. If anyone else is contemplating coming over to this side of the world for any races, I hope they will let me know and we can get together.

All the best, Beverly (honorary Mooathon-er?)

Lise
10-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Mooooo!
It's amazing to be sitting at work in Dublin and find this chat board with people talking about our little race!
hahaha and the hunky guy in the Mooathon top is myself the race director!
We had the race yesterday and it was a total blast!
I'll be putting up photos of the runners and some of the fancy dress later this week so make sure to check the website: www.mooathon.com
Everyone had a great time and we had 8 people from New York who had so much fun they have promised to come back next year! We managed to raise over €4,000 for charity as well, So mark your calendars for 1st october 2007!
If anyone would like to ask any questions about the race feel free to e-mail me and I hope I'll get the chance to run with some of you sometime!
Take care
Sean
Mooathon Race Director
Hi, Sean, and Mooooo! back at ya! What fun that you dropped in to say hi. So glad your race was a great success. I'll be checking the site for pictures! I was over here running a Chicago 1/2 marathon on the same day. http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/Home.286.0.html

So now do you return to your full-time job as a fashion model? :p Looks like you've motivated at least one Dubliner, Beverly Fay, to run and race. Congratulations again on a fun race and raising so much for charity. Best wishes to you all from Chicago!

Lise
10-03-2006, 05:09 AM
greetings roving running peloton!

did my 20 miler Saturday. I still am not thrilled about running! nike will be a sufferfest!

katie - I did CIM back in 1999. it was a pretty "easy" marathon. flat, cold, dreary, good support. have fun with it.

yeah limewave, you are crazy!! I am not doing rock & roll, but will probably be at the concert. I am on the advisory board for the event (a tremendous irony since my personal motto is "running sucks"), so I get vip passes and all. it seems silly to not go - and I like Train. I will bring my daughter to the concert. have fun at the event!

Hey, MP. Isn't it wierd? Running sucks. True enough. And yet, there are moments...during the 1/2 this Sunday, moments when I thought, "this is wonderful. I, Lise, am running. I am continuing to run. Wow. Look at that. I am still running." The day was beautiful, the lake sparkling, people around me brave and funny and tenacious. Running near the back of the pack, as I do, I'm with those who are not sure they can do it. It's an honor to be running with such people.

Someone joked to me, "1/2 marathon, eh? Which half do you run? Harhar." (I thought the half that you sure can't do, buddy!), but said, "oh, the 1st half. No one in their right mind would run the second half." So hats off to you who did 20 miles this weekend. That's one heck of a distance.

Everybody go look at the photo gallery from the Irish Mooathon. www.mooathon.com The route is gorgeous. Makes me want to reconsider "after the 1/2 IM, I'm done with this distance!" :cool:

maillotpois
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow - Lise - I just read your report. Very cool result for you on the 1/2. Good snarky mental comment to Mr. "Which 1/2?"

Let's all go to the Mooathon - think of the scenery, the cows, the various Mr. Potentials for you (complete with lovely Irish brogue) and the Guinness for me.....

Lise
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Let's all go to the Mooathon - think of the scenery, the cows, the various Mr. Potentials for you (complete with lovely Irish brogue) and the Guinness for me.....
I'm just sayin'!

colby
10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Today was the first 5-miler for a few weeks, really since I seriously started training. And, drumroll please, today I finished 5 miles in 50 minutes, just about on the dot. A 10 minute mile pace, YAY. I'll take what little improvement I can get :D

History repeats itself a few weeks later and I reply to myself yet again... my 5 mile time is down to 47 minutes, and that's not even pushing it. :) I never imagined cracking the 10-minute mile barrier for any distance. 3 minutes off doesn't seem like a lot, but I'll take that 30 second pace improvement ;) Amusingly, my 5k time doesn't seem to be improving past the 10 minute barrier, so I think either my warmup needs some work or I just don't pace myself as well for the short distance as I do for 5 miles+.

I'm really anxious for my half marathon this weekend (Sunday). I am planning on taking it easy and not pushing hard, but I'm really curious about how I'll do. I just want to do at least as well as I did in May, and not injure myself and mess up my marathon training. With 20+ miles to run the following weekend, I can't afford to lapse too much.

Bikingmomof3
10-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Colby,
Congrats on shaving time off. :cool:
I look forward to hearing your report after your 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I know you will do fantastic! Which run are you dong after the 1/2?

Keep the posts coming, each one inspires me to run more. I love running. :D

colby
10-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Colby,
Congrats on shaving time off. :cool:
I look forward to hearing your report after your 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I know you will do fantastic! Which run are you dong after the 1/2?

Thanks, B3. :) After my 1/2, I'm doing the Seattle Marathon, on November 26th... about 6 weeks. :eek:

Bikingmomof3
10-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks, B3. :) After my 1/2, I'm doing the Seattle Marathon, on November 26th... about 6 weeks. :eek:

Very cool! I am still just learning and getting my running technique down. I have yet to figure out how to find marathons and half marathons in my area (Southwest Ohio). Any suggestions? I really would like a full running schedule for next year.

Grog
10-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Very cool! I am still just learning and getting my running technique down. I have yet to figure out how to find marathons and half marathons in my area (Southwest Ohio). Any suggestions? I really would like a full running schedule for next year.

I don't know where Columbus and Youngstown are but they have events scheduled in 2007. Try this tool!
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/racefinder/0,7151,s6-239-283-284-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
It's a great start.

kaybee
10-12-2006, 06:18 AM
BMo3, to find running events in your area, try active.com.

KB

Bikingmomof3
10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Thank you Grog and KB! I will check both out. :) I am an hour from Columbus.

Bikingmomof3
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't know where Columbus and Youngstown are but they have events scheduled in 2007. Try this tool!
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/racefinder/0,7151,s6-239-283-284-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
It's a great start.

Thank You! I have 346 to choose from. :eek: I am SO excited. Time to plan. :D

liksani
10-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Hmm... Seattle marathon.. was debating if I wanted to do the Seattle 1/2 or not . :P Oh and just a general question, but when you run halfs and full marathons, how hard do you push? I keep thinking maybe I should push so I can try to get a faster time because I always go at a pace where I can keep talking... except for that stretch where you see the finish and full out sprint. :P Well at least I full out sprint.

colby
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM

I cheated here and picked an easy one -- I basically decided I wanted to do a marathon, then decided I wanted it to be a BIG marathon, and picked the closest one ;) The other things I've done have just been by chance, so I'm really in the same boat as you for next year. I'm going to try to plan out a schedule that I can train around with tris, running, and cycling events. I'm really looking forward to it, but I, too, have no idea where to look for the dates of possible events, other than the ones I already know about because I did them this year ;)

I did for a while (when I was debating whether I wanted to do a marathon) just google for "marathons" and other search terms that led me to sites with lists of marathons (and usually half marathons) and other events. Can't argue with google! Not all events use active.com, but so many do these days that it's a great place to start.

Good luck :)

colby
10-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Hmm... Seattle marathon.. was debating if I wanted to do the Seattle 1/2 or not . :P Oh and just a general question, but when you run halfs and full marathons, how hard do you push? I keep thinking maybe I should push so I can try to get a faster time because I always go at a pace where I can keep talking... except for that stretch where you see the finish and full out sprint. :P Well at least I full out sprint.

Generally, the training guides I've read have me running some of my daily runs at up to 30 seconds slower than my marathon pace. So, my normal running pace is "comfortable" and my marathon pace would be close to that but slightly uncomfortable (though on race day, what was "comfortable" before seems to naturally be faster anyway). The last half marathon I did, I pushed too hard and suffered at the end with a really high heart rate and really tired body. Lately with the marathon training, I have been practicing pacing myself, and I know what "comfortable" is so I can take it one step further if I want to push. Honestly, I'd rather enjoy myself, so I think the "keep talking" (and sprint at the end!) pace is a better idea than the "suffer to the end" pace ;)

I'm still learning myself, and since this is my first marathon I'm planning on feeling out how the pacing goes. Sometimes you have to be slow to learn what fast feels like ;)

limewave
10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Anyone signing up for a pace group to run with in their upcoming marathon?

When I've done the 1/2's, I always take off too fast and hit the wall towards the end. And when I'm training sometimes I slow way down because I'm bored. I thought if I joined a pace group for the marathon that it might help me with a slower start and a steady pace.

colby
10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Anyone signing up for a pace group to run with in their upcoming marathon?

When I've done the 1/2's, I always take off too fast and hit the wall towards the end. And when I'm training sometimes I slow way down because I'm bored. I thought if I joined a pace group for the marathon that it might help me with a slower start and a steady pace.

I was thinking about it for all the same reasons (I've had the exact same experiences). The marathon I'm doing says: "Full Marathon paces will be provided for finish times of 3:30, 3:45, 4:00 and 4:45." Supposedly those line up for Boston qualifying times for various groups, but 4:45 is just about within reach for me based on my long training run paces. It might not be my Boston qualifying time (3:40), but there's no way I'll hit that -- this time ;)

limewave
10-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I was thinking about it for all the same reasons (I've had the exact same experiences). The marathon I'm doing says: "Full Marathon paces will be provided for finish times of 3:30, 3:45, 4:00 and 4:45." Supposedly those line up for Boston qualifying times for various groups, but 4:45 is just about within reach for me based on my long training run paces. It might not be my Boston qualifying time (3:40), but there's no way I'll hit that -- this time ;)

I'm going to try and stick with the 4:30 pace group for the Chicago mary. My 1/2 marathon pace has been about 10:12 but my longer run pace has been 11:00. The 4:30 is about a 10:30 minute mile -- it could be a good challenge for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tri Girl
10-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Jennifer,
also try www.marathonguide.com They have an excellent list of marathons, plus they include reviews of the races from runners who've done them. We choose all our marathons from that site, and mostly based on peoples experiences (although some you do have to take with a grain of salt, huh?)

Shiraz
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey,
congratulations on all your races and running times. You ladies are motivating!!! I am transitioning back to running long distance after my biking months and a little time for "foot repair". I managed to have a great last week with a total of 30.5 miles and a long 11 mile on Saturday. It really helps to read all of your posting and get excited! I have signed up (along with my two daughters and husband)to run the Vegas half. Anybody else planning to run it. I ran it in 2003 and had a great time. I am a middle packer and finished at 2:06. I am hoping I can do the same....

Bikingmomof3
10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Jennifer,
also try www.marathonguide.com They have an excellent list of marathons, plus they include reviews of the races from runners who've done them. We choose all our marathons from that site, and mostly based on peoples experiences (although some you do have to take with a grain of salt, huh?)

Thanks Tri Girl :)