PDA

View Full Version : Seat height

cyclingnewbie
03-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I have been trying to get more comfortable on my hybrid by adjusting a few things. I moved my seat back a bit and put it up higher. I discovered on my first off-the-trainer ride last weekend that, when the saddle is high enough for me to be comfortable when I'm pedaling, I can't touch the ground with my toe from the saddle when I stop. The first time I stopped to wait for traffic I nearly bit the dust! Should I be ABLE to touch the ground? Or do I need to get used to the idea of getting OFF my saddle when I stop?

jobob
03-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Yes, you should be off the saddle when you stop.

Here's a link to an excellent article on Starting and Stopping by Sheldon Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

According to Sheldon, "Do not try to sit on the saddle while the bike is stopped, this is not usually possible if your saddle is properly adjusted."

- Jo.

cyclingnewbie
03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Well now! There's a revelation. It would have been nice, during at least one of more than a few visits to my LBS, if they had mentioned that little detail when I asked about correct fit on the bike. Thanks for the link to the article - the more information, the better!

jobob
03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
That said, my husband sometimes stays seated on the saddle when he stops at stoplights. It absolutely freaks me out when I see him balancing on the ball of his foot, I have visions of him losing balance and toppling over in front of an oncoming vehicle. But does he listen to me? noooooooo :rolleyes:

cyclingnewbie
03-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Why would he listen to you? He's a male, you're a female. Enough said! MY husband insists on having his seat so high that his hips rock when he pedals, but will he take my word for it when I'm riding behind him and watching him ride? No!!

GrandPrix
04-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Any tips on how to start and stop while off the saddle - i was just informed on a group ride that i'm not mounting and dismounting properly - and when i try to start and stop while off the saddle now - it seems awkward and i end up falling.....i want to get this right!!! any tips?

jobob
04-11-2004, 07:18 PM
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

Veronica
04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
I've never heard that's there one correct way. :p

There's a guy in our club who stands on the left side of his bike, clips in his left foot and as he pushes off swings his right leg over and clips in. It works for him - looks kind of cool.

I mount from the left, swing right leg over, clip in, push off with left foot and as I'm pedaling, clip my left foot in.

Do what's comfortable for you!

Veronica

pedalfaster
04-12-2004, 04:29 PM
"my husband sometimes stays seated on the saddle when he stops at stoplights"

I don't think it's a gender-thing.

There are several "advanced" techinques for stopping and starting. Practice at your own risk ....

Track-standing is where you come to stop and stay completely clipped in to the pedals. This requires practice and good balance (and is a VERY useful skill if you mountain bike). It is easier to do on a ~slight~ incline and if you are ever-so-slightly raised out of the sadddle. Some very talented riders can do it while seated; I once met a girl who could track-stand "no-handed". :cool:

When stopping for more than a few moments, I untend to unclip my right foot and "lean" the bike to the right. The saddles is still kind of nestling in my crotch (sorry if that's too graphic!) but my weight is on the foot on the ground. The left pedal is at the "two o'clock" positon. When the light changes, I put weight on the left pedal, right the bike and clip in while standing and pushing off. Does that make sense???

It's probably best to practice these moves in a non-traffic-y area.

snapdragen
04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Whoops, just about called Veronica a cowboy, then re-read her post. Not a cowboy at all!

I ususally have my left foot clipped in, with the pedal up and forward. Then when I start, I push with the left foot, clip in to the right while standing and "sprint" across the intersection. Sometimes I'll push off with the left and then sit, but the standing sprint makes me feel like Lance :D

The push off with the higher pedal technique is something we teach in my clubs bike academy.

GrandPrix
04-12-2004, 04:52 PM
WOW - this is fabulous - loving all the feedback!!! Only wish the rain would not arrive so that I could go practice... I fear the rain will be here all week...sigh....looks like the sun will return on friday! Just in time - I've got an introductory club ride that I'm trying out on Saturday morning! I'm a little banged up from this past saturday's ride....i unfortunately fell over a few times while clipped in....right knee a little bloody....and my arse is rather bruised (lots of interesting colors in there - sort of artistic) ; )

This standing over the tube while starting and stopping is a wise idea i think - i did check out sheldon browns webpage - just rather odd - sort of like learning to ride all over again - new techniques....so in order to save my body and bike any additional trauma (especially my new bike - i do love it so...) - i'm gonna make an early trip down to the local track as soon as the rain disappears - and practice there!! that way when i fall to the right - at least i'll have soft grass to catch me and not that icky cement and gravel!! ; )

OH - and i'm really psyched that i'm learning all this stuff!!! I'm prepping for my first relative long ride on may 2nd - the great 5 boro ride in NYC!!!! then i'm gonna train for a longer ride later in the summer! A good college friend of mine is racing on a team out in CA - i'm feeling inspired!

tooodles! : )