PDA

View Full Version : Pool running

limewave
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Okay, this might be a stupid question, but do you just run around the shallow end or is there more to pool running?

Thanks!

RunMamaRun
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Okay, this might be a stupid question, but do you just run around the shallow end or is there more to pool running?

Thanks!

That's a good question..what is pool running anyway? :confused:

How is the training going? How are your knees/legs feeling?

RunMamaRun

jenxxs
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've done it before for marathon training...

You actually run in deeper water, because you don't want to be touching the bottom. When I do it, I use a waist flotation device, so that I can be focusing on moving forward in a running motion, and not worrying about maintaining my vertical level in the water. I would recommend using a waist flotation device if you're going to be doing decent "distances" in the water.

I think the key is to try to maintain a good running form while you're in the water.

As I've posted before, it can get very tedious, very quickly. I used one of those swimmer's radios, which helped a lot.

You'll also get strange looks from kids who are swimming in the same pool!

jenxxs
09-05-2006, 01:44 PM
I should have been more clear in my previous post: the idea of pool running is to mimic your land-running motion in the water. Your legs will get a great workout because of the resistance of the water. I find it easiest to work on the running motion while using the flotation belt. When you're in the deeper water, it's kind of funny how slowly you move forward, because you're not pushing off of a surface below, but don't worry about that!

limewave
09-06-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm going to have to give this a try. I'll hve to look around for a waist flotation device though. Thanks for your help!