PDA

View Full Version : OT: CRIKEY!!! Steve Irwin's DEAD!

light_sabe_r
09-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Okay. It's not cycling but it's sad.

It's breaking news over here... So you guys will probably hear about it soon...

Steve Irwin is dead! Stabbed through the heart with a STING RAY barb.

Over here you either loved him or thought he was a total idiot. But It's sad that he's gone. It's sad that his kids Bindi and Bob don't have a dad any more and that Australia Zoo's main attraction is gone.

I think the Aussie Bush is going to suffer the most out of this. He was one of the most vocal conservationists in this country and as a cyclist and someone who loves just getting LOST in rainforrests I thank him for that.

Rest in Peace Mate

Here's the FIRST report of his death. The one that sent our YAHOO and MSN sites into a server meltdown 30mins ago...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349534-952,00.html

Kitsune06
09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh my God! I watched his show a lot as a kid! :eek:

That's really sad...

...though a lot of what he did seemed to be risky...

geez. Mom liked him a lot...

postiechic
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
unreal, banana peel!
he was an absolute nutter....and i couldn't stand him..but still, poor bloke. Least he karked it doing what he loved doing most.

crazycanuck
09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
My heart goes out to his family.

No matter how much i cringed every time i saw him on tv, light is correct when she said
I think the Aussie Bush is going to suffer the most out of this. He was one of the most vocal conservationists in this country and as a cyclist and someone who loves just getting LOST in rainforrests I thank him for that.

Matey, australia & the other creatures out there...:eek: will miss ya.

c

enzed
09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
I just heard the story on the TV news.
Yes, he could be annoying at times. But he was an advocate for the environment. I visited Australia Zoo a few years ago and found it fun & educational. He had some great ideas for protecting the aussie bush.
I can't help but feel sorry for the two kids, who are now without a dad.

Being attacked by a stingray? How freaky is that.

Nanci
09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Wow, I can't believe it- he was my hero!!

arnaew
09-04-2006, 02:46 AM
It's a shame when someone who champions the environment is lost, by whatever means. However, it must be said that Steve Irwin was a bit of a tosser. He thought (in contradistinction to great nature documentary makers like Richard Attenborough) that he had to perform like an idiot to get people to watch. He has been reported numerous times for poor practices around animals (his son around a crocodile, himself around whales, seals et al) which, unfortunately, often diffused the message. To be stabbed by a stingray in the torso you would have to be doing someting quite unusual in terms of the stingray's orbit. When fishermen sustain bites (the most common victims) it is usually in the limbs, most often when the rays are accidentally hauled in the nets. These bites (stabbings) are rarely fatal. There have been around 17 known deaths in Australia from stingrays, all of them pierced in the torso (which has the same effect as being stabbed by a harpoon with the added bonus of a toxic poison). For this to occur, you basically have to be swimming directly above them or trying to ride them, either of which will p*ss the ray off. Irwin's history and the stingray's habits would indicate that he perhaps wasn't being as responsible or respectful as he should have been. Considering that the doco he was shooting was called 'The Ocean's Deadliest', you'd think that he would have been a tad more cautious... I am so sorry for his wife and children (backpacking in the Tasmanian mountains at the time) - Bindi (daughter, around 8) is apparently a wild life fanatic.

caligurl
09-04-2006, 03:19 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! his poor wife and those GORGEOUS kids of his..... this breaks my heart...........

thanx for posting it....

massbikebabe
09-04-2006, 05:26 AM
I was sad when I read the news...

When my kids were little and I was working nights and staying up ALL day with them the Croky Guy used to buy me a half hour of sleep on the couch while they watched his show. I did think he was a little nutters though.

karen

DDH
09-04-2006, 05:46 AM
I used to watch his show all the time. I thought he was a nut case at times, but obviously those of us that don't work with animals would think some of his actions as being nuts.
He knew what he was doing even if he did showcase about it. I'm just suprised that it was a stingray, from what I have learned about them, it takes quite a bit to upset them to the point they would spear you.
I guess only those that were with him will ever know the whole truth about how or what caused it to happen. Because if he was doing something crazy, then I don't think anyone will tell. Sometimes, it's just your time, no matter how careful you are trying to be.
I feel for his family, and my thoughts will be with them.

Lise
09-04-2006, 05:53 AM
I was so sorry to hear of his death. I always enjoyed his extraordinary enthusiasm. I think of his kids and his wife, first of all. I hope others will pick up his banner of conservation and carry his mission forward.

ladyfish
09-04-2006, 06:21 AM
It's a sad thing. Obviously quite an unusual happening. I read one article that stated they were filming when it happened, so I think they know exactly what he was doing. It's sad that we've lost a great supporter of conservation and that he leaves behind his wife and two kids.

I'm going to miss him, and I have to figure out how to break it to my younger son, who LOVES animal planet.

I am upclose and personal with stingrays every other week, and although they are used to people, they are still wild animals and unpredicitble. I'm always cautious about where they are in relation to myself. I never set down a knee or foot without looking before I do so. (I work at an aquarium).

We'll miss you Steve!

Pax
09-04-2006, 06:47 AM
What a loss, I feel so bad for his family. :(

One thing I always loved about him was how he took the very animals we are terrified of and taught us how interesting they really are...he replaced fear with knowledge and curiosity. RIP Steve

Bikingmomof3
09-04-2006, 06:57 AM
How very sad. My boys loved watching him! I feel so sad for his wife, daughter, and son.

KnottedYet
09-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Very sad.

I never saw his show or his movies or anything, but saw a lot of spoofs of him. So once I started reading the article I figured out who he was. Of course, when I first read it I though a PERSON had picked up a stingray barb and stabbed him with it! (Cuz i couldn't imagine how on earth a person could get into a situation where the ray would do it.)

margo49
09-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Stone the crows and strike a light!
Poor bast-- d!
Prob'ly doing something idiotic but a shame anyway as he did more +'ve than -ve on balance.

wannaduacentury
09-04-2006, 09:08 AM
I thought his antics were goofy, but he was a really neat guy who did a whole lot of good for the natural world and conservation. My prayers are with his family.

Denise223
09-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Very sad!

Our thoughts & prayers are certainly with his family..... He lived life to the fullest -- I enjoyed watching his shows & loved seeing him enjoy the world with his wife & children...

He will surely be missed :(

kerrybelle
09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm still at a loss. How very sad indeed, for everyone & everything involved! Like many have said his antics may have been a little over the top at times, but over all he has done a great deal for the animals and their envirenment.

Our thoughts & prayers are with his family. He will be missed by many....

Kerry

Tater
09-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I found his approach a bit over the top, but I admired the h*ll out of his dedication to conservationalism, animals and the environment. I agree with Queen also, he did a lot for bringing knowledge to the masses about many fears and phobias. I was sorry to hear about his passing.

Trekhawk
09-05-2006, 08:46 AM
The death of Stevo is a great loss for Australia. No matter how you felt about the guy he helped people all over the world realize that the nasty bitey things have just as much right to share this planet as we do. His showmanship is what made him famous and what gave him the power to get people to listen.

He and his wife puchased large areas of land in Australia, USA and the South Pacific and these have remained wilderness areas. He told everyone you can make a difference but you have to try.

My family and I mourn his death and our hearts go out to his family and friends.

Pascale
09-05-2006, 10:53 AM
As an ex-zookeeper, I couldn't stand him.

I was first completely turned off the day I saw a show where he and his crew chased a camel herd around, buzzing them, scaring the you-know-what out of them - basically terrorizing them (all in the name of education, of course). In the course of all this chaos, a young camel calf basically got cut off from the herd - something that would not have happened if they hadn't been chased by the heli's.

Then Irwin goes on to show how they "rescue" this "orphaned" calf and take it back to their ranch for "educational purposes". Give me a break. A true orphan would be acceptable, to me, but one created and then you laud yourself for the heroic effort? Please.... I never watched again, and never forgot...

That being said, I know there are people that, for whatever reasons, liked him, and loved him and for their loss, I am sad. Losing any life is a tragedy to someone and for them, my heart goes out...

BikeMomma
09-06-2006, 01:55 AM
The death of Stevo is a great loss for Australia. No matter how you felt about the guy he helped people all over the world realize that the nasty bitey things have just as much right to share this planet as we do. His showmanship is what made him famous and what gave him the power to get people to listen.
Well said, Trekhawk. He showed off these creatures and helped us all appreciate and admire them SO much more.

I think the guy was a hoot -- crazy as all flippin' getout and yes, he did take alot of risks. He undoubtedly knew that every time he came near a poisonous/dangerous/cornered/harrassed animal or reptile that it may be his last day on this planet, but what always struck me was his enthusiasm for what he did. So I hold my glass of vino up to the man for dying doing something he loved. Better than dying in an armchair, I say.

That said, Pascale, I hear what you're saying and I tend to agree, although perhaps not as vehemently, considering your former profession. I have an intense respect for leaving animals alone in their environment, admiring them from afar, and only disturbing them if, say, they are close to extinction or for some other pressing reason. Zoos do have a responsibility to not only educate the public, but to provide as natural a habitat for the animals as possible. Going into an alligator pit and pulling on their tails to incite a show of teeth is not what I'd call a natural occurance.

But still, the man had a zest for life, which I found rather contagious most of the time. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Wow.........what a sad, freak thing to happen....my heart truly goes out to his family. I hope his wife carries on his conservation projects, for it would be a shame to let that awesomely positive part of his life fizzle....

~BikeMomma

crazycanuck
09-06-2006, 03:07 AM
LIght dear,

I know you're close to the sunshine coast & want to know if you're headed up to bring flowers to the aust zoo? If you are, pass on a silent "hey mate" for me.

One more thing. The one show of his I stomached & watched back when was filmed in East Timor. I believe The Diggers on duty found a couple of crocs/alligators in dire conditions & he decided to help them out. From what I saw he also tried to spread the word/idea of conservation to the people while in the region.

c

ps-I came accross this: the QLD gov't has set up a condolences page for steve if anyone wants to sign it.

http://www.qld.gov.au/announcements/steve_irwin.html

Denise223
09-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Watching Larry King on CNN now - must be a show recorded a day after Steve Irwin's very tragic death....

Because of my extreme love for animals, I've watched Steve for years, and about a month ago saw a show in which he was traveling with his beautiful wife & precious two children.
The love that I saw between all of them was more than magical -- I remember watching that show and shed many "happy" tears.

Steve Irwin seemed so much bigger than life. I will miss him very much. I'll be keeping his family in my prayers.

Remember to say , "I love you" to those you love, before it's too late.

Peace & Love,

Denise

light_sabe_r
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
LIght dear,

I know you're close to the sunshine coast & want to know if you're headed up to bring flowers to the aust zoo? If you are, pass on a silent "hey mate" for me.

One more thing. The one show of his I stomached & watched back when was filmed in East Timor. I believe The Diggers on duty found a couple of crocs/alligators in dire conditions & he decided to help them out. From what I saw he also tried to spread the word/idea of conservation to the people while in the region.

c

ps-I came accross this: the QLD gov't has set up a condolences page for steve if anyone wants to sign it.

http://www.qld.gov.au/announcements/steve_irwin.html

Unfortunetly work committments keep me here in Brissie for now... I'd love to get to the zoo next time one of my interstate rellies comes up though. I'm much more motivated to go there then I was before.

mum's gone up and laid her flowers. I'd prefer to donate to WILDLIFE WARRIORS than buy flowers. I think that's more appropriate.

That being said... The Zoo staff are using the flowers as compost and garden mulch (and possibly tortise food) and saving the cards for Terri.

I'm thinking of going to the Memorial service... Which apparently is going to be held at Lang Park, Kind of fitting because the CAULDRON, is built on top of a cemetary... lol

at capacity... the stadium fits 52000 people... if the flowers are anything to go by the stadium will be full
Good thing on EVENT days the roads are closed off to traffic and only pedestrians and buses can get there. If I go I'll be riding there.

bikerchick68
09-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm just home from hoiday in Australia and was able to sign a memorial book at one of the local zoo's. I went to several wildlife habitats and they all had books to be signed that will be given to his family.

I know he took many undue risks, and angered some people, but I personally think he did a lot more positive than negative in bringing to the forfront of people's awareness the need for conservation.

And I appreciate and respect that even those who didn't like him much, are saddened by the loss of a life... and saddened for his family as well. It will be SO hard on them. My dad died when I was 3 yrs old... so I understand what those kids will go thru grief wise now. Very sad.

pepe6599
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
My brother loves Steven Irwin when he died my brother called me up and was crying up a storm. It's great to see someone with so much passion living a life a passion and it's always sad to hear/see someone with that passion leave that life behind. :(