PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia bound...

DeniseGoldberg
09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
My crazy touring bike and I are headed for Nova Scotia on Thursday for a tour of western sections of the province. My initial thoughts were that I would follow a circular route, wandering both the Evangeline Trail and the Lighthouse Route. As I've spent more time staring at the map, I have a feeling that I could easily spend the entire trip along the Bay of Fundy coast - doing more of an out-and-back ride - but only time will tell. Why do I have this strong feeling that Nova Scotia will be another place that I can't visit only once?

My journal for this adventure can be found at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/denise2006ns.

The journal is started, and I plan to update it from the road, with photos to follow after I return home. If you're interested, please follow along with me in my journal. I'll be on the road from September 6th through the 20th, and I'll be biking from the 7th through the 18th in Nova Scotia, and in Maine on September 19th (it's possible that I'll do a quick ride on the 20th too, before I drive home). If you want to reach me during that time, please sign the guestbook in my journal; it's likely that with limited Internet access I won't be on the TE site during my trip.

--- Denise

tygab
09-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I loved NS and I wish I were going with you! It is definitely a place you can go more than once.

Hopefully the weather will oblige, but even in the mist and rain it is a special place (a different kind of experience). I will definitely be following your journal. And FWIW either side of NS has alluring characteristics, so you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

Lise
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Have a wonderful trip, Denise! Looking forward to hearing stories and seeing pictures. :D

bikerz
09-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey Denise - have a great time! If you find yourself in Aylesford or Morden (Morden is a very small town right on the Bay of Fundy coast, at the site of the French Cross memorial) you'll be surrounded by my relatives. It's beautiful there! Be sure to enjoy some dulse (dried seaweed) - mmmm!

ridebikeme
09-04-2006, 04:50 AM
Sounds like a great trip!!! I too, love Nova Scotia and just returned from there on Auguest 12th. It's a beautiful area to ride, and the people are very friendly! So enjoy!!

If you're interested in sharing a ride once you're back in Maine... let me know!!It would be great to share a ride with someone from the TE crew!

DeniseGoldberg
09-04-2006, 05:41 AM
If you're interested in sharing a ride once you're back in Maine... let me know!!It would be great to share a ride with someone from the TE crew!
Where are you in Maine? While I get to the southwestern edge of Maine (coastal areas between Kittery and Saco) when my bike insists on riding along the coast, I suspect you're somewhere else in that very big state!

--- Denise

Quillfred
09-04-2006, 08:17 AM
....."He's too far from the Bay of Fundy
>From Appaloosas and Eagles and tides".....Joni Mitchell

Every time I hear Bay of Fundy, I hear Joni singing "Coyote" -- like hearing the singing Vikings whenever Spam is mentioned.

Have a great time Denise. It sounds like a wonderful trip. Hope the weather treats you well. Like Lise said, we can't wait to see and hear all about it!

ridebikeme
09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Ahhh riding coastal Maine is also beautiful!! I live a bit further inland, actually in ski country... between Bethel and Rumford... lots of beautiful rides and the leaves are starting to change already!! If, we don't happen to hook up, have a great ride!!

kaybee
09-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Denise, can't wait to read about the trip. We were there August 18-25 (although not riding), and as someone else said, we can't get enough of it. Maybe it's because it's so darned beautiful and the people are so warm and welcoming, and maybe it's because I know that's where my roots are. I'll be sending good weather thoughts your way and looking forward to reading your journal, which I have bookmarked!

KB

Tater
09-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Have fun, Denise! I look forward to your pictures and journal.

Trekhawk
09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Have a wonderful time Denise. I cant wait to see your pics.

Happy and safe riding.:)

DeniseGoldberg
10-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Nova Scotia was a wonderful place to wander on a bicycle, and my camera definitely got a workout on this tour. I know that some of you followed along as I was on the road, and I just wanted to let you know where you can find my photos.

I'm still in the process of uploading pictures to my journal (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/denise2006ns) (I think I'm just over half done), but I have finished uploading pictures to my photo gallery. There is some overlap in photos in the two locations, but there are also different pictures in both places - and there are more photos in my smugmug gallery than there are (or will be) in the journal.

If you'd like to browse through the photos, start at http://denise.smugmug.com/Travel/234195. I split the pictures into eight galleries, hoping that would make it easier for folks to peer over my shoulder as I was riding. Within each gallery, the easiest way to browse through the photos is to use the Slideshow button.

Enjoy!
--- Denise

RoadRaven
10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Ah... Nova Scotia... somewhere I REALLY want to go

My ancestors travelled through there and stayed awhile after they were kicked out of Scotland and before they found their way down there...

Looking forward to seeing the pix, Denise... that will have to wait til I am at work though as my home connection is so slow.

Glad it was such an enjoyable and successful tour :)