PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bikes on road rides

Trek420
09-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes, it's official, I suck at training. I've spun, crosstrained, put in the base miles but nowhere near what I planned. Once more here comes Bike Against the Odds and I'd like to do better than last year.

It's a hilly ride, my fabulous road bike is geared for hills. I don't know the exact count but my low gear is really low. But would it be better for me to take the MTB on hills that have kicked my happy butt before?

The MTB has slicks, new and much more better wheels and low gears of course. I could probably keep forward motion at 0.25 mph:rolleyes:

On the theory that as the Great Eddie said "you're faster going than not going" would a different bike get me through the metric century. I only did the 47 last year.

Trek420
09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
guess I'll flip a coin ;)

velogirl
09-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Dita, I don't think anyone can make that decision for you. When you do ride, which bike are you riding? Are you equally comfortable on either? Have you been doing any climbing? On which bike? How did it go?

ps -- I may do the century tomorrow afterall -- I'm really itching for it. If I'm not at the photo, don't wait -- it means I already left.

Trek420
09-09-2006, 07:56 PM
velogirl "When you do ride, which bike are you riding?"

more miles on the MTB, more climbs on the road bike.

"Are you equally comfortable on either?"

they are both very comfy :)

"Have you been doing any climbing? On which bike? How did it go?"

Yes but never enough
on the road bike
felt good
road bikes lighter to push if I walk :rolleyes:

Bad JuJu
09-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Seems like a lighter bike would be easier to push up the hills whether you're pedaling or walking. Decisions, decisions....;)

Have fun!

annie
09-10-2006, 06:44 PM
One vote for the road bike -- Lighter and nice, low gears. Seems to make the best sense. Make your choice and don't second guess yourself. You'll do fine either way. Have fun!

annie

Trek420
09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
rode (and admit cross trained a little on Grizzly peak) the road bike. :D

I'd be interested to do the same route on the MTB.

salsabike
09-10-2006, 09:20 PM
If you do, let us know--I'd be really interested to hear how they compared for you.