PDA

View Full Version : Cycling caps

SouthernBelle
09-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Why doesn't TE have cycling caps?

velogirl
09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
If you see 100 riders with caps, only one will be a woman. Women don't wear cycling caps, except the occassional racer in a rainy race or someone who's been riding a very long time (when cycling caps were more in vogue). That's my guess. We've considered them for Velo Girls and the response is that women don't wear them. Then again, Dita, don't you wear cycling caps from time to time (or am I just imagining that)?

SouthernBelle
09-03-2006, 03:46 AM
I have one, a giant that I got with my bike. I would wear it more often, and not just on my bike, but it's the only one I have!

I've wondered, on these rides we all seem to do, why they don't give these away rather than a bottle or T.

Trek420
09-03-2006, 06:25 AM
velogirl "Then again, Dita, don't you wear cycling caps from time to time (or am I just imagining that)?"

You're not imagining things Lorri. I *heart* cycling caps. :)

SouthernBelle
09-03-2006, 08:37 AM
I can think of at least 3 reasons to wear one:

1. Provides a brim from the sun

2. Soaks up sweat when it's hot

3. Blocks air from the vents when it's cold.

Trek420
09-03-2006, 08:47 AM
4) prevents "part sunburn" for those with a part down the middle :D

5) turn the cap around if no visor is needed and prevents back of the neck sunburn too,

SouthernBelle
09-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah! That too! :D

mars
09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I always wear a cap mostly for protection from the sun. But it turns out that almost every helmet I have owned pulls my hair (which is getting thinner by the day) so I also like it to save the hair. If not a cap then a bandana.

Bad JuJu
09-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I occasionally wear a buff (http://www.buff.es/)under my helmet. These have become pretty popular in the last few years, and you can buy them, or you can just make your own by getting some nice knit fabric and sewing it into a tube. On the other hand, the premade ones come in Coolmax, which is nice in the summer.

Veronica
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a Quackcyclist one that I wear when it's cold or raining.

If it's hot, it makes me too hot if wear something under my helmet.

V.

SouthernBelle
09-05-2006, 05:04 AM
I occasionally wear a buff (http://www.buff.es/)under my helmet. These have become pretty popular in the last few years, and you can buy them, or you can just make your own by getting some nice knit fabric and sewing it into a tube. On the other hand, the premade ones come in Coolmax, which is nice in the summer.

If you rip or tear a jersey, then you have the fabric for a buff, headband or wristband.!