PDA

View Full Version : Horns - Zound Air?

Quillfred
09-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks to Mimitabby and her Seattle links, I saw a post regarding an air horn designed for bicycle use. I believe it is manufactored by Delta and the model is Zound. It is supposedly comparable to truck horns. The commuter Goddess Newfsmith, mentioned in an older post that she had some problems with the schrader valve malfunctioning.

I did a search on here and apparently they can be a tad harsh on one's own ears, but I'm wondering if they still might be a good resource for bike commuters--especially during the other three seasons.

I don't know if all have the feature, but supposedly you can turn a volume dial. Now that I've made a short story long, I was wondering if anyone can weigh in on these. They look pretty light weight. They're obviously not for casual use but if they can maybe save one from an accident????

After reading some of the venomous comments towards cyclists :eek: sharing the road with cars, I feel like some defense might be in order.

Anyone have recommendations for this or other similar noise makers? Thanks!

kjay
09-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Not sure about the air horn to which you refer, but I got one of those cheapy air horns for my bike (a few bucks), and does it ever wake 'em up. I love it. In fact, on my last bike tour, several bikers ahead of me were taking the entire lane, and I knew that a huge truck was coming from behind, so I pretended I was the truck and blew my air horn. Did those bikers ever move fast! Anyway, I like the horn much more than the previous bell.

kjay
09-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Quillfred, I should have checked out the air horn you talked about before I wrote my message. I see that it's not what I have but a whole lot more effective. This is what I read:

A bike horn that won't be ignored. The Air Zound 2 from Delta is a handlebar mount rechargeable bike horn that will satisfy that urge to be loud and annoying. It offers 115 dB at the touch of a button with volume control. The air reservoir is rechargeable with any bicycle pump.

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the info!

emily_in_nc
09-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I have an Air Zound. I mounted it on my Bike Friday for riding after my dog accident where I fractured my pelvis in three places. It is loud and not very attractive (definitely increases the fred quotient exponentially! :D ), but it works well. I have used it a few times to deter dogs, and only one seemed to ignore it. He may have been deaf.

There is a volume control. If you are riding with others, warn them that you have it and if you can, before you use it, as it can be startling. I am sure someone in a car could hear it too, but I haven't had to use it for that yet.

Emily

crazycanuck
09-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I found one on the MEC website & think i'll get my dad to pick one up for me...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777409&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693017&bmUID=1157259074458

c

GLC1968
09-27-2006, 06:44 AM
My husband has the Zound Air horn. He uses it on his commute and mostly just for dogs. I don't think that he's had to alert any cars with it yet, but I don't doubt for a minute that they would have any trouble hearing it...even with the volume turned down as it is extremely loud. I found myself wanting one today on my commute...twice!

Oh...do NOT accidentally set it off in the garage with the door shut...eek! ;)