PDA

View Full Version : inagural ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

gretchen
03-01-2004, 04:46 PM
I just got my new bike back from the LBS where they tweeked it, put a shorter stem on and it has an even 120lbs in the tubes waiting for me to take it out for a spin! It's night time and i jsut dropped my son off at Young Life. We live a block from a little lake and the roads are pretty dry now from the rain we had today. The outside is calling me! My bike ....formally named "slick" because it is just the slickest thing i've ever owned, is whining to go for a spin. In the dark.
Well, here I go for my inagural ride! Wish me luck! : ) :D

cyclingnewbie
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
How'd the first ride go? I decided that I was going to ride my current hybrid for another year and then, riding with a new group this weekend, I got the bug for a new road bike all over again. It's their fault! I hope you like the new bike. What did you get?

gretchen
03-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Ok, so i was skeptical at first about all the hype that my daughter and brother in law were giving the "road bike" thing...
I WAS WRONG!
Maybe is was stupid...ok, it WAS stupid,(in the dark with no lights!) but i just got back from my first, very first ever! ride on "slick". WAAAAHOOOOOO!
I get it now.
I can't wait to go out in the light now!
As much as i love my "fluffy" bike...this thing hummmmms, and the term "slicks"...fits!!!!!
I LOVE MY BIKE!
: ):D

fultzie
03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
YAAAAAAAY MUMZIE!!!!!!
hate to say it (okay, i don't hate to say it) but told ya so!!! ;) (about the road bike thing)... wait until we get some mountain bikes, then you'll really be rocking!
congrats on the inaugral ride, although i still think you should have gotten yellow (maize) handlebar tape to match your blue paintjob :p you should post a pic of your bike online!!!!! (i still haven't seen it!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
i tried calling a few min. ago, but you must still be at the gym. i just finished that new workout today... whew! i'm gonna be sore tomorrow!!
i'm not sure if i'm doing that "ball pass" thing right... what an awkward position!!! (the one where you hold one of those exercise balls between your feet/knees- depending- and lift it above your head-- while laying down, of course! ;)) i felt it more in my theighs than my abs.
and the straight-arm pull down thing on the lat pull down machine... woah.
anywho, off to shower, then maybe a cup of dry cereal :)
*fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow so i can ride to work!*

caligurl
07-01-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by gretchen
Ok, so i was skeptical at first about all the hype that my daughter and brother in law were giving the "road bike" thing...
I WAS WRONG!
Maybe is was stupid...ok, it WAS stupid,(in the dark with no lights!) but i just got back from my first, very first ever! ride on "slick". WAAAAHOOOOOO!
I get it now.
I can't wait to go out in the light now!
As much as i love my "fluffy" bike...this thing hummmmms, and the term "slicks"...fits!!!!!
I LOVE MY BIKE!
: ):D

you are way braver than i am! :D when i got my bike last sunday.. it was 9:00 by the time we got home.. and dark.. so i had to work all day monday before i got to take my first first (and first clipless pedal fall!) i love it and i'm itching to go further!!

gretchen
07-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Caligirl-
It was so much fun to read that post again...i was reading it not knowing it was from me!!! I kept thinking, wow, that sounds so familiar!!!! (dah). I now have 1280 some odd miles on that bike and am loving it more and more each time i ride (and get stronger)! Hills (I can't believe i'm saying this!) are now a challenge but a welcome one, and the more miles i put on, the fewer it seems like it is! YEA!
Happy riding!!!!!!!!!!!
gretchen :D

caligurl
07-06-2004, 09:13 AM
hi gretchen!

i know that you mean.. now granted.. i only have about 70 miles on my bike :rolleyes: but then... i've only had it a week! i'm soooo addicted!

yesterday we were climbing to the national part entrance and i passed my landmark of the previous day.. then was just thinking of turning around at the next road.. when i saw the gate... so i decided.. what the heck! i peddled my little butt all the way up! lol! for my third ride outside of the neighborhood i was really quite proud of myself! :D i can't wait to do a 20-miler now! i wish we didn't have to go shopping tonight (did i really say that?)

i told hubby that i wanted to do the tour de palm springs next feb.. and do one of the short rides.. but now i'm thinking i'll be ready for the 50 or even... dare i say it.... the century! this bike thing is addicting!!!!! (plus i'm so much more confident not that i have the new pedals and know i can unclip in a clinch!)

oh.. i still haven't ridden at night.. dusk.. but not dark yet...

gretchen
07-06-2004, 09:24 AM
caligirl...oh my gosh, you sound so much like me (and everyone else who gets 'bitten' by a bike!
Just wait....I'm so totally serious...once you've ridden 20 a few times, then 25, then 30, then go for a 70 in there, back to some 20's again (don't forget the 'rest' days) then an 80+...the 20's will totally seem like a ride around the block. I remember thinking that riding around the lake (we're up on vacation now on Glen Lake in Michigan - 14 miles of hills) was a day's outting!!!! I rode it yesterday after 10 miles on other roads just touring the countryside and i thought "wait, did they change this!"...it was a snap...even the killer hills. Now that, is what keeps you going and feel'n soooooo great about riding and yourself nd your awesome new friend (your bike).
:D gretchen

caligurl
07-06-2004, 09:30 AM
*sigh*.. yes.. i know.. rest days are important.. *pout*...

that's why we are going shopping tonight instead of riding... darn it! i think hubby is thrilled to have a workout buddy.. even though, obviously, i'm no where near his level yet...

gretchen
07-06-2004, 09:41 AM
shopping: have a fun time...looking for bike stuff?!!!
My husband is NOT into biking although we got him a road bike and he goes on short rides with me,....then gets bummed out that he can't keep up and gets sore (!) :D Poor guy.
My biking buddy is my daugher...she's the U of Michigan person (Katherine)that you'll see on this forum...we love biking together. She got me into it last year when she talked me into doing the west coast ride for Global Exchange (bikeaid) from SF to Tijuana (!) coming up July 23rd!! I'm now excited..i was SCARED TO DEATH!...but am feeling soooo much stronger! (she's on the UofM bike team).
I'm getting the 'death look' from my son now...better get off his computer! Happy shopping...keep adding miles to those rides!
Keep us all posted on your rides!
:p gretchen