PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the spell

Kimmyt
09-01-2006, 05:21 AM
I think I burnt myself out. I was going really strong for awhile, putting quite a few miles on my bike per week, riding in at least once a week, doing a lot of my other activities. Then I went on vacation (and NEEDED it) and came back and just couldn't get up the motivation to do anything.

Three weeks after my last road ride and I was having major guilt issues. I woke up several times going, "I should ride in this morning, but it looks like it's going to rain". Yesterday was a gorgeous burgeoning autumn day and I bailed because, "I canNOT get out of bed". I guess my body was telling me it had had enough.

You know how it is.

So this morning I made myself ride in. I didn't pay attention to the weather, I said as long as it wasn't pouring when I woke up that I'd ride, and I did. It was pretty cool, too, and a nice enough ride except for some minor aching in my knee (I think from not riding in so long... paybacks I guess). And I felt much better once I got in and showered and coffeed.

Then the coworkers start asking me if I'm okay in the head because its apparently supposed to rain cats and dogs and strong winds and other hurricane-like things and I was just like, "oh, uhm, well i guess if it's raining i'll just have to ride home in it". So there. That'll be punishment enough for the sins of being lazy for the past three weeks!

(also I couldn't help but think that if it was dangerously stormy out that I could always call the Boy and get him to pick me up)

susiej
09-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Good for you!

Took me two weeks after vacation to get back on the bike. Missed all of July and was shocked at the heat and humidity! First week was only two days, second week was four out of five, and this week ... the daycare is closed and I'm off the bike. :( Well, there's next week, and I'm hoping for a family ride this weekend.

Kimmyt
09-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Maybe by next week the weather will have cleared up!

Speaking of weather, looks like it will be a wet commute home!

K.

Geonz
09-01-2006, 01:35 PM
What's a little thing like a hurricane for cyclists???? (Is that what you're dealing with?)

Yea, that's 'breaking the spell' with style :-)

Ernesto has kept our clouds stalled out... but it's clouds and drizzle, nothing more exciting.

Duck on Wheels
09-02-2006, 02:46 AM
I also missed several weeks with all the usual excuses (too much to haul today, can't find the bike lock key, raining, no time to shower at work, knee hurts this morning, jada jada jada). Today I got over it, found the key, and rode my old bike to work. Clipless pedals still stuck in a warehouse with the rest of my shipment from the US, so first hill I tried gearing down to spin my way up my feet went flying off the pedals. Oh well. Powered up that hill in a higher gear, walked the next, powered the third, walked the fourth. I still took me less than half the time it takes to walk. Which also means it's a better cardio workout. And I think I can manage with a "cat wash" and a clean t-shirt when I get here. So the goal is to bike most work days from now until the snow comes.

Haudlady
09-05-2006, 06:59 AM
I think I can manage with a "cat wash"

A cat wash! I love it... I will remember that one!:D