PDA

View Full Version : weight loss support?

pooks
09-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Does TE have a weight loss support group/thread/whatever?

If not, is there another board that does, that some of you participate in?

Surlygirl
09-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Try ediets.com. Nice bunch of people and you can plan your diet too.

Thistle
09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
pooks i am trying to lose weight too, and have been looking for an online buddy... preferably one that cycles :D .... if you want to, we could buddy up for support.

maybe if the two of us start, others might join us?

divingbiker
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey, I'm in! Today I started counting Weight Watcher points again. I was religious about it last year for 5 months and lost 50 pounds. Then I stopped writing all my food down, maintained for 6 months, and now have gained back about 13 of what I lost. But today is a new day!

My plan is to follow WW for a month, then eat right but not do a journal for a month, then get back to the journal for a month, etc until I lose the 33 pounds I want to lose. I just can't bear to face the prospect of religiously following WW until I reach my goal, because last year between WW and daily exercise I felt like I had a second full-time job.

I look forward to you ladies keeping me honest!

Janice

pooks
09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Does anybody mind if we find a way to keep it private?

I'd love to be able to talk about it with other cyclists.

Maybe a few people who have already lost weight cycling would mentor us! (Well, one can hope!)

pooks
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Try ediets.com. Nice bunch of people and you can plan your diet too.

Will check them out. Thanks.

Thistle
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
it would be so good to have people to talk to. i tried ww with a woman at work last year, but she flat out refused to exercise... wouldnt even walk across campus so it was really frustrating :( cos she was losing weight without exercising and i was losing more slowly cos i was exercising :confused:

i lost 14 kilos (30lbs) but have put 7 back on :mad: and i am tired of being overweight.... really really really tired of it. 46 years tired of it.

keeping it private is probably good ... and maybe everyone doesnt want to read about our weight stuff anyway:p

snapdragen
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM
There are quite a few of us here that are doing Weight Watchers. No reason to feel you need to stay private, this is a pretty supportive group.

Bikingmomof3
09-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I am not on WWs, but I am working on losing weight and gaining more lean muscle.

Dogmama
09-02-2006, 04:33 AM
I am not on WWs, but I am working on losing weight and gaining more lean muscle.

Are you lifting weights?

biking4health
09-02-2006, 05:11 AM
I'd love to have the suppport of others on my weight loss journey and love to bike. I have 90+ pounds to lose and just started seriously biking (at least seriously for a newbie) about a month ago.

I lost 95 pounds on WW in 1977, but sad to say gained it all back. I'm using myfooddiary.com to track what I eat and my exercise. I get frustrated because I lose very slowly..only 11 pounds since mid-May. The difference for me this time is I can't "go on a diet" I have to make this a lifestyle change and not be so hard on myself.

I look forward to hearing about others on this journey. :D

Carol

run it, ride it
09-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Bit of a tangent here, but:

I know many of you have children, and it looks like many of you have been involved with WW. This is an excellent combination to (pardon the pun) stop the cycle of unhealthy lifestyle choices.

My mother's parents are post-depression food-pushers (the "clean your plate! Starving children in *insert third world country*..." type). She was always overweight--until she lost 90lbs with WW and became a group counsellor for the next fifteen years. She will never be 'skinny' because of her Graves Disease, but she has always been FIT.

There was never any 'junk food' in our house growing up--no potato chips, no greasy fries, no sugar-loaded cereal. All we got for a treat were chocolate-coated granola bars! My brother and I begrudged this at the time, but in retrospect she taught us excellent habits that we will carry for the rest of our lives. I know I have the same problem as my mother--if the junk food is availible, I'll eat every last morsel of it. But since I didn't grow up with it in the first place, keeping away from it is much more managable.

Further, I was a VERY picky eater as a kid. Instead of getting mad, my mother had me help out in making meals to eliminate the parts I didn't like (ONIONS!) and she never, never requested I finish a plate of food. I'm still a picky eater--why is it the double-standard that it's good for adults to be picky but bad for kids? As long as everyone is meeting their nutritional requirements, don't force anything!

You are a huge influence to your children, and by keeping junk out of the house, excercising daily, maintining a positive attitude toward both, and involving them in their own diet and excercising choices you are investing in their future as much as your own.

You go, girls!

CyclChyk
09-02-2006, 06:45 AM
In my happily married state I supported the theory that women get fat once they get hitched. I now am very actively working at getting healthy again.

We are eating healthy (not following any "diets", WW or otherwise) and biking at least 5 nights a week for a minimum of 10 miles each time. Sometimes 15miles if time allows.

In 2 months I have lost 26 pounds and 1 & 1/2 pants size. I only have 50 more lbs to go before I can fit in my lovely button fly size 8 gap jeans I was wearing the day I met my hubby.

I feel great!! If you have the right mindset you will succeed. Pooks, feel free to PM or otherwise and I will offer any support I can!

Bikingmomof3
09-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Are you lifting weights?

I work out at home, so I use various size hand weights.

I would like to shed about 15 more pounds of fat. I went from a size 20 to a size 6. It has taken me a year and a half to get to this point and I am now focusing on more lean muscle.

Bikingmomof3
09-02-2006, 07:54 AM
You are a huge influence to your children, and by keeping junk out of the house, excercising daily, maintining a positive attitude toward both, and involving them in their own diet and excercising choices you are investing in their future as much as your own.

You go, girls!

I absolutely agree!

My brief history...

I am the only one overweight in my house (I am 15 pounds over):( . We do not have junk food, everything is whole wheat (my children do not even know what white bread tastes like) and I have never made my children clean their plates. I was 99 pounds when I pecame pregnant (I was underweight-I danced ballet and thouught to be overweight), doubled my size with my first pregnancy :o and barely shed any weight before I became pregnant with the twins. Then I kept the weight on for 10 years (I did not each much, so my metabolism shut down) before I became serious about my health. Once my boys were older I was able to breathe and realize I needed to be healthy for me and my family. A year and a half ago I started eating healthy (no diet-just a complete lifestyle change). Six meals a day, vitamins, and a lot of water. I began exercising (at home, I cannot afford a gym membership) every single day and shed over 60+ inches. My family has been very supportive and I have become increasingly active. I went from a size 20 to my current size 6. :D
I am now focusing on building more lean muscle and toning.

That is my story in a nutshell. :) Hopefully this makes sense. Late start to my morning with no caffeine yet.

Thistle
09-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I absolutely agree!

A year and a half ago I started eating healthy (no diet-just a complete lifestyle change). Six meals a day, vitamins, and a lot of water. I began exercising (at home, I cannot afford a gym membership) every single day and shed over 60+ inches. My family has been very supportive and I have become increasingly active. I went from a size 20 to my current size 6. :D
I am now focusing on building more lean muscle and toning.

That is so inspiring. And that's how i feel, i dont want to diet, i want to eat healthy food and exercise every day. I feel inspired by seeing others here who want to do it too. Thank god for bike riding - it's the one form of exercise i love :D

If anyone has any tips for overcoming the need to stuff unhealthy food in my mouth everytime someone upsets me :( i'd really appreciate it - i know it's cos i dont have the courage to tell them how i really feel :eek: . i'm definitely an emotional eater :o no doubt about that.

But having read other people's posts, i'm inspired to make a start on eating healthy again.

pooks
09-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm a lifetime member of WW but I never felt "great" on that program.

Years later my husband wanted to do the Zone Diet because so many people at work had raved about it. There were some extreme results -- one woman who had been diagnosed with MS, was on the appropriate drugs, was having to take a nap or rest twice a day at work, etc. went on it, lost weight that she'd been carrying since she was a teenager, and ended up off all meds, and (as my husband said) so "cheerful and high energy she's disgusting." A guy who was a runner ran his fastest time ever -- and he was in his 40s, a time when people aren't expected to be doing that.

So we went on it, loved it, and I did lose a lot of weight and felt good. But like most things, after a couple of years we started wanting the white breads and pastas again "for variety," and eased back into our old habits. (With the Zone, you give up "bad carbs/high glycemic" and eat lots of "good carbs/low glycemic" -- so you're still eating lots of veggies, fruits, etc., but give up most starches.)

Thing is, I felt great on that diet, or way of eating. Sigh. It just seems as if any "change" is destined to fail for me, because eventually I'm going to slide back into bad habits.

Anyway, what I'm really interested in personally is more the "good healthy food and exercise" that some of you have mentioned, rather than a specific diet. I think I'll always be aware of limiting starches and emphasizing good fruits and veggies, though. A lot of the Zone just made sense to me, even though I didn't stick to it.

One thing I found helpful though was to figure out a few good meals and snacks that I liked, and make sure I could always fall back on them in a pinch. When first starting the Zone I was told "don't make it complicated -- pick out a few meals and repeat them a few times if you want, to get into it."

I think that's what I need to do now. Figure out a few meals I really like, buy the right food to prepare them, and just stick to them for a week so I'm not thinking about food all the time.

That's the worst part of any "diet" for me -- I end up thinking about food all the time, because I'm constantly worrying about what we're going to eat, planning it in my head, etc!

pooks
09-02-2006, 02:21 PM
We are eating healthy (not following any "diets", WW or otherwise) and biking at least 5 nights a week for a minimum of 10 miles each time. Sometimes 15miles if time allows.

In 2 months I have lost 26 pounds and 1 & 1/2 pants size.

This is very inspirational! I realize you aren't doing a true "diet" but what do you consider "eating healthy?" Are you doing things like using Splenda, limiting fats, etc? Or just sticking to basic foods, and eating smaller portions?

Or not thinking about any of those things -- just making sure you've got healthy food?

I guess what I'm wondering is, even though you say you're not dieting, do you do some basic things like portion control?

A year and a half ago I started eating healthy (no diet-just a complete lifestyle change). Six meals a day, vitamins, and a lot of water.

Same questions! Eating healthy means so many different things!

Here's a question (if you don't mind me asking). What would y'all consider an easy, typical lunch that you eat as part of your "eating healthy?"

latelatebloomer
09-02-2006, 02:49 PM
theav - good thread! I tell my trainer that I'm going to write a book about my fitness journey called "Melting an Iceberg" because it's been both so full of learning experiences and SO slow. I may well have lost 100 lbs by year's end - a journey of about 5 years from when I first walked into a YMCA - and I'll always be, as my husband so sweetly said recently, applelicious. I focus on achieving ever-ascending fitness goals, and let the weight loss happen as a by-product, because if I focus on weight loss, I make myself absolutely miserable.( I was a chubby kid, and the adults around me made it THE topic of my life starting at about age 7.) It'd probably be faster if I did WW, but after a huge weight drop in the '80's doing Nutrisystem for a year - and then an even huge-r weight return - I can't stand the idea of "diets", groups, etc. I have worked with a nutritionist and would like to get back to keeping a food journal. It does help to keep the awareness up. DH can eat all dang day, so I have to be careful about just "joining in" to be sociable.

I have cut down on emotional eating, first of all by not having the junk foods of choice in the house. If I want to drown my sorrows in a pint of Ben & Jerry's, I gotta drive to a store first. Also, a pair of helpful questions that I think I might have picked up from Oprah some time back -

1)What am I feeling?
2)What do I need?

Exercise keeps me on a much more even keel emotionally. Besides cycling, I do yoga and weightlifting. I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I had one of those depressive periods where I lost myself in re-reading old novels and downing ice cream or chips. Even writing this, I think, really, I used to do that? - when it used to be common practice.
Now my emotional boost comes from riding down a great new road, or...well, this week at work, when I was picking a karaoke tune to do with my brain-injury clients, a VERY attractive younger coworker suggested "Bootylicious" and when I looked at him in shock, he smiled and said "did I say that out loud?"

I'll take that memory over a big bowl of buttered popcorn any day.;)

Bikingmomof3
09-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Same questions! Eating healthy means so many different things!

Here's a question (if you don't mind me asking). What would y'all consider an easy, typical lunch that you eat as part of your "eating healthy?"

Here was my meal today-I have yet to have snack 3.

I also drink 32 ounces of water with each meal and I take a multivitamin

Breakfast: Yogurt and Egg Beaters with Morningstar Breakfast Patty
Snack: handful of almonds (unsalted)
Lunch: 2 slices organic whole wheat bread with Boarshead low sodum turkey breast (2 oz), 1 slice of Boarshead Natural, no sodium added Swiss cheese, and tomato. Salad with 1 tbsp craisins, and 1 tablespoon almond accents, and 1/2 a cucumber.
Snack: protein pudding (sugar free pudding made with 2 cups ff milf, and 2 scoops whey protein powder-makes 4 servings)
Dinner: 3 ounces grilled chicken, baked potato with 1 tbsp ff sour cream, 1 cup steamed broccoli
Snack 3: 1/2 cup frozen yogurt

Does that help?

Dogmama
09-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Eating healthy means so many different things!

BikingMom's lunch sounded good. And it would be transportable - I take my lunch and snacks to work. I always plan a protein snack in the afternoon because it helps blunt end-of-day carb cravings.

I also like to make tuna with ff mayo & pickle relish & an apple for lunch. Sometimes I'll make a chicken salad & I'll have several days of lunches.

It is important that each meal have a nice amount of protein. It helps stabilize blood sugar and helps rebuild muscle.

Triskeliongirl
09-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I am finding this thread really useful. It would be great if Susan could make it a regular forum sub-topic. I battled my weight all my life, and like many of you, having kids totally exacerbated it all. I did lose 50 lbs after having my kids with WW and became a lifetime member, but it didn't work for me over the long haul. I should add that when I lost the weight with WW I was also marathon training and not eating anything extra. I nearly passed out when I ran my marathon, got hypothermic, etc. I have good healthy food and exercise habits. While I have had issues with emotional eating in the passed, I am in good control of that. My problem is that I have a *very slow* metabolism so even if I follow WW to the T I won't lose (I do take thyroid meds and have my hypothroidism in good control). I bike to work daily (16 miles) an do long club rides on the weekends (~50 miles each). I do eat just enough on the bike to not bonk, and I practice portion control, but I have trouble to eat as little as my body seems to require to lose weight. I have thought of going back to WW, but if I eat my activity points I don't lose, and if I don't I bonk. I liked reading cyling mom 's food diary. I wonder if it would help for us to see both food and exercise diaries for those who are losing and maybe for those who aren't. I have also shyed away from WW because going to a meeting often means not exercising (i.e. driving instead of biking to work, missing a club ride, etc.), and I'm not sure I get that much from them. I know how to eat healthy, it just doesn't seem to work for me.

CyclChyk
09-02-2006, 05:02 PM
This is very inspirational! I realize you aren't doing a true "diet" but what do you consider "eating healthy?" Are you doing things like using Splenda, limiting fats, etc? Or just sticking to basic foods, and eating smaller portions?

Sadly ,I have cut out alcohol (I used to have at leat 1-2 glasses wine each nite); no more frappachinos from Starbucks; no more glazed donuts. Just fish, chicken, green veggies; no more pasta (GOD I miss pasta); only whole grain bread; no more cheese.................... Initially finding snack foods that satisfied me was soooooo hard.... but now that I have been at this for a couple months, I find I actually crave fish for supper instead of Domino's.... fajitas without the tortilla rather than chinese takeout......... granola bars rather than Blizzards..........Subway for lunch instead of Micky D's....Promise fat free butter instead of Country Crock... sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes....

I am also doing the "6 meals" theory - 3 main meals with 3 snacks....... Occasionally I have cravings. Tonite I had a jumbo Texas margarita with my fajitas....I will have to push out an extra 2-3 miles on the bike tomorrow to make up for it. But I so enjoy biking now and seeing the weight come off is so motivating.

And yeh, smaller portions helps.

run it, ride it
09-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Breakfast: 1 cup Vector cereal with 1 cup So Nice Original soy milk and one small banana sliced on top.

Snack: 1 scoop whey protein powder in 1 cup water

Snack: two clementines, apple, and fat free yogourt cup (Bio-Best.. only one I can find without gelatin)

lunch: low-fat meatless burger on two slices whole wheat bread with mushroom sliced on top and about 2cm^2 of mozza cheese. Possibly also a cookie someone at work has tempted me with. Mmm, cookies...

Dinner: 1 cup sliced veggies (but NO ONIONS) with 1 cup whole wheat spaghetti, 3cm^2 mozza cheese and 1tbsp pesto.

Snack: 1 piece of whole wheat bread with 1tsp low-sugar jam, 1 cup light hot chocolate.

I'm not sure how to eat any healthier than that--I actually had trouble in the past not getting ENOUGH fat in my diet. I'm not losing weight anytime quick, and believe me I work a hard 8 hours of labour (go through about 3L of water a day), bike 25km, groom a white horse and ride him hard.... I feel like I need so much more food, and I'm hungry ALL the time, but if I eat more than a little bit my stomach is in agony and I won't digest for hours and hours--right, and the weight piles on like nothing else.

pooks
09-03-2006, 07:25 AM
I am finding this thread really useful. It would be great if Susan could make it a regular forum sub-topic.

YES! So we could subdivide into different discussions!

Pooks

pooks
09-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Sadly ,I have cut out alcohol (I used to have at leat 1-2 glasses wine each nite)

The theory behind the Zone Diet is to keep your insulin levels constant all day, which means doing as others have mentioned, having smaller meals and snacks several times a day, including a small snack just before bedtime.

Since the zone is about "balancing" protein, carbs and fats, rather than going "low" this or "high" that -- you eat equal units of protein, carb and fat every time.

My favorite Zone bedtime snack was 4 oz. of wine, one ounce of low fat cheese, and a couple of olives. If I used regular cheese, I skipped the olives!

pooks
09-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Reading everyone's meals is very helpful. What I see consistently is nobody is pigging out on high calorie foods, even if they're considered healthy foods. So "eating healthy" also seems to mean "eating in moderation" and cutting back in calories to those of you who are losing weight. I guess that goes without saying, but believe me, there are so many different points of view about what "healthy" means, I just had to ask!

HipGnosis6
09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I lost 40 lbs by eating a fixed menu for about six months. It was boring, boring boring....

Breakfast: 1/2 bagel, toasted and spread with light whipped cream cheese, 6 oz glass of OJ

Snack: 2 oz box of raisins

Lunch: Lean Quisine entree, diet Coke

Snack: String cheese or fat free Fudgecicle

Dinner: 4-6 oz chicken or fish lightly seasoned (never fried or with cream-based sauces), steamed vegetables

Sundays I'd "treat" myself to a nice breakfast - 2 eggs, scrambled, a sausage patty or 3 small links, a toaster hash-brown.

I tried to drink at least 2 quarts of water a day and limited myself to no more than 2 coffees or sodas.

Like I said, this was boring as sin and I couldn't stay on the diet any longer than I did. I also had a good deal of weight loss eating regularly but doing really heavy workouts (I was training to box!), but what I could do at 22 don't feel I could repeat at 31.

ChickieBabe
09-11-2006, 04:38 PM
What do you all suggest would be a good way for me to "eat smarter"?

I am a grad student who has a meal plan but no kitchen (only microwave and small fridge). I know that not having junk food in my room is good, and I avoid that as best I can. All the suggested meals I've seen consist more of things I would have to make than meals I could buy or get in the dining hall.

Trying to work off the undergrad weight gain.

Veronica
09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
...I also had a good deal of weight loss eating regularly but doing really heavy workouts (I was training to box!), but what I could do at 22 don't feel I could repeat at 31.

Sure you could! I was coming up on 35 when I decided to lose weight and lost 30 pounds.

For me the best weight loss program/maintenance is to get lots of regular exercise. Ideally, I like to do two workouts a day, 45 min to 90 min. each, M- Th. It rarely happens. :( But that's always the goal.

Today's menu:
Breakfast:Yogurt with ceral
some coffee with whole milk
a glass of organic OJ
Snack:string cheese
a peach
Lunch:a homemade romaine lettuce salad with cheese, 1 and a half slices of bacon, croutons, various veggies, two and a half tablespoons of dressing, a homemade chocolate chip cookie
Snack: a Red Bull, small bag of Cheetos
Dinner: most likely, grilled steak and some rice

V.

mountainpuddles
09-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I would like to join in too!! Last Wednesday, I went to the Breast Cancer Fundraiser and Emily with her guitar sang her love song that was sooo cute. A line was something like this, "I go to the gym one hour a day because everyday you see me naked in the shower". Sorry if I am butchering the lyric but it was so cute.

I would like this to be a public discussion. Thanks B.

Thistle
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Also, a pair of helpful questions that I think I might have picked up from Oprah some time back -

1)What am I feeling?
2)What do I need?

ok, had a couple of really frustrating days... so i'll try this.

I am feeling really pissed off with one of my co-workers who is incredibly moody and takes it out on me. She stopped talking to me (for about the 1000th time) a couple of weeks ago and another co-worker asked me yesterday why i'd stopped talking to her????:mad: Given the other co-worker has complained many times about her moodiness and the "no talkies" treatment, i feel pretty damn fed up. So i guess that's it, i feel really really fed up.

What do i need? i dunno.:confused: Maybe just to be here on this forum with good people reading about something i love and having that distraction. Am going for a walk across campus to see some people who dont treat me this way, and the ride home always helps. I just dont understand why people have to be such bullies.

Sorry for the rant... but maybe it will help.
:(

mountainpuddles
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Gals. I know for me it is easy to have a weight loss buddy. I was thinking if someone wants to be my offline buddy who would like/needs to lose 10 lbs. If you are up for losing 10 drop me a pm. B.

limewave
09-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm going to chime in with this discussion group too. I need to lose about 20 lbs *sigh*

I had always been overweight and in college ballooned over 300lbs. I felt left out of everything. My friends were dating, shopping, hiking in the mountains and doing cool things that I never thought I could do. With an unhealthy combination of depression and desperation I began counting my calories and exercising. I was so hard on myself that for an entire year I never (and I mean NEVER) ate a meal that I didn't prepare. I exercised EVERY day and never, ever, ever ate more than 1400 calories. At one time I got down to 900 calories. But I realized that I stopped losing weight and had no energy to exercise. I cared more about losing weight than eating less, so I gradually increased my calories back up to 1400. That was 5 years ago.

Anyways, I got help. I'm not depressed anymore, but I also eat more! And I've put on a stubborn 20lbs that my doctor said really should go. So, I'm back to counting my calories but I have a fear of putting myself in that obsessive state again. Hopefully I can find a good balance and we can all help support each other.

mtbdarby
09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Wow, so many inspiring stories and so many of us struggling.....

I've been up and down all my life. I was a chubby kid and my 3 older sisters always called me fat. I lost 28 pounds in 5th grade. Stayed at a weight/height proportion until the freshman 15. It's been a battle since then. After my baby 4 years ago I used the Power 90 program and dropped 25 pounds. This last winter saw the return of the final 15 and now I'm disgusted with myself.

I have a thyroid problem - Graves. I'm off of meds but with my last labs it looks like I'm going to go hypO. I'm terrified I will blow up like a balloon if I go hypo and my endo is no help. I'm also getting over a hand injury and just getting back on my bike so I really feel out of shape. I would love a buddy to keep me in check, on track and motivated!

ReneeLynne
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
WeightWatchers Online is the best. You don't have to go to meetings, and they don't make your menu for you like eDiets (eDiets is great, but they make a whole new menu for you instead of teaching you how to modify you're current menu). So I had better luck with WW Online. www.weightwatchers.com. It's like $17/month. Lost over 18 lbs and it was pretty easy. People kept asking me how I did it and I've referred them all there. Plus, you get to count your cycling and eat more in compensation, so it really rewards you for exercise!!!!

Dogmama
09-18-2006, 04:08 AM
WeightWatchers Online is the best. You don't have to go to meetings, and they don't make your menu for you like eDiets (eDiets is great, but they make a whole new menu for you instead of teaching you how to modify you're current menu). So I had better luck with WW Online. www.weightwatchers.com. It's like $17/month. Lost over 18 lbs and it was pretty easy. People kept asking me how I did it and I've referred them all there. Plus, you get to count your cycling and eat more in compensation, so it really rewards you for exercise!!!!

A good friend of mine lost 35 pounds and is still going. She tried everything & WW seems to work for her. She isn't a cyclist (75 years old) and walking is her main form of exercise. She is a gourmet cook and has found some great recipes, friendships, etc.

jusdooit
09-22-2006, 09:22 AM
I like so many of us have difficulty maintaining my weight. I lost about 40lbs ten years ago. I did this by going to the gym 5 days a week, doing cardio and weights. I also modified my diet by cutting ALL sweets. And as was pointed out all things in moderation. Now I stay within 10lbs of my desired weight. My suggestion is to consult a registered dietician (NOT a "nutricianist). An RD can help you find out your exact needs and give you good healthy advice and direction. I do not believe in fad dieting. Other than cutting sweets I ate (and continue to eat) whatever I choose. And yes that does include pasta. The idea that you need to cut carbs and add protein is a falacy. Your body needs carbs (ie your brain will not function without sufficient glucose available). And protein doesn't help build muscle, using the muscle builds muscle. Actually, consuming more protein than your body can efficiently use can contribute to weight gain (not to mention it's hard on your kidneys).

Also might I suggest not getting too carried away with monitoring your weight numbers. Muscle weighs more than fat, so pay closer attention to how your clothes fit, it's a better gage.

Don't look at this as a diet, but rather a choice for a healthier lifestyle.

Finally.............hang in there ladies...........you can do it!!!!!

makbike
09-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I'd too would love a buddy. I've dropped 14 pounds so far and would love to drop a final 6 (I have a feeling these are going to be the most difficult). When I hit my goal I know I'll need someone to "check-in" with, too offer words of encouragement, and yes to readjust my attitude when I decide it is too hard (gosh now I sound like my students :eek: )

I've been following the WW diet since the first of June 2006 and have had a lot of success with it. However, I also know I need to exercise for at least an hour each day to keep the numbers on the scale moving downward.

Darby, I too suffer from hypothyroidism but I must admit I have a wonderful supportive endocrinologist. When I saw him back in May my levels were well within the normal range but my weight was up. He simply told me I knew what I needed to do so there was no need to lecture. He so added that he felt certain when he saw me in 6 months I would prove him right. It is always nice to have someone believe in you regardless of who they are or how well you know them. I always walk away from my check-ups with him feeling good about myself - positive words are great medicine for the heart and soul!

So, if someone would like a weightloss buddy let me know.

Have a restful weekend!

Marcie

Thistle
09-22-2006, 06:23 PM
My suggestion is to consult a registered dietician (NOT a "nutricianist). An RD can help you find out your exact needs and give you good healthy advice and direction.
Finally.............hang in there ladies...........you can do it!!!!!

thanks for this advice. I have an appointment with a dietitian on monday. have been given so much conflicting advice, i thought i'd go to someone who's studied the area. hope it works... things are really hard right now.

solobiker
09-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Hi there, I too would like a weight loss buddy. I have tried so hard to lose about 15 pounds. When I was training for a marathon I didn't drop one pound. I was eating reasonably, about 1400 a day. Although I do have a sweet tooht. hehe. I of course do a lot of riding and can't seem to lose that little bit of weight. I do have hypothyroidism and my levels are within normal limits. It would be great to have "partner" or support of a "buddy" as my DH doesnt have to worry, he was graced with a fast metabolism.

Dogmama
09-23-2006, 04:28 AM
thanks for this advice. I have an appointment with a dietitian on monday. have been given so much conflicting advice, i thought i'd go to someone who's studied the area. hope it works... things are really hard right now.

Please post what he/she says. I think we could all use the straight info.

Bad JuJu
09-23-2006, 09:51 AM
I'd like to consult a dietician too, but how do you find one? And when you find them, how do you research their "track record"--that is, how do you look for a good one? And what can you expect from them when you meet?

Lots of questions, I know, but I'm struggling like never before with excess weight--maybe it's menopause. I need to talk to someone who can make reliable suggestions and help me follow them. TIA for any advice on this score.

Thistle
09-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Will post the advice she gives me. I understand the difficulty finding one. I asked one of the guys at work who has lost, and kept off, about 40 kilos.

When I rang her, she seemed ok, hard to tell on the phone though. She asked why i wanted to see her - which i thought showed some interest in me - and when I told her i was getting conflicting advice, she said she might be able to help. She also said the balance between protein and carbohydrates can be very personal, so bear that in mind with the info I post. What suits me may not suit others.

I see her tomorrow, so I'll post an update. Hopefully she'll be good, if not, well i guess i'll just have to try another one :(

kjay
09-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I probably shouldn't be adding my two cents here because I haven't read through all the posts, but just want to say that ever since I've been in my postmenopausal years, the only thing that has helped me to lose weight was bicycling five hours a day every day (on a bike tour). I lost three pounds and ate enough for energy and nutrition. Otherwise, it's next to impossible for me to lose. Not a happy thought, is it? . . . unless, of course, one lives to ride and has the time as well.

emily_in_nc
09-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I probably shouldn't be adding my two cents here because I haven't read through all the posts, but just want to say that ever since I've been in my postmenopausal years, the only thing that has helped me to lose weight was bicycling five hours a day every day (on a bike tour). I lost three pounds and ate enough for energy and nutrition. Otherwise, it's next to impossible for me to lose. Not a happy thought, is it? . . . unless, of course, one lives to ride and has the time as well.

I think that happens to a lot of women after menopause - I guess it's a serious slowdown in metabolism?? My mother, who was a skinny rail in her 20s-30s-40s, put on a lot of weight after menopause and has seriously struggled with her weight ever since (she's 71 now). No matter how little she eats, she can't lose more than a few lbs, and that amount doesn't show since she has 30-40 lbs. to lose. She doesn't exercise nearly enough, though. She's always hated sweating. Knowing that I share a good number of her genes and am thin now, at 45 and pre-menopausal, I am determined to stay very active for the rest of my life. If I don't, I can look at her and see what is likely to happen to me.

I guess it pays to do everything possible to get to one's ideal weight prior to menopause, since it's so hard for many women to lose weight afterwards.

Emily

nancielle
09-30-2006, 04:42 PM
You might like to check out "Sparkpeople". It's a free diet/exercise/lifestyle change site. You can track your food intake, they have meal plans, track your weight, etc. There's a boatload of message boards for support.http://www.sparkpeople.com

jayjay
05-20-2008, 06:18 AM
>>> Sigh. It just seems as if any "change" is destined to fail for me, because eventually I'm going to slide back into bad habits.<<< What I hear here is the very common little saboteur in most of us, which is self doubt and giving our power away to lower impulses. I suffer from the same doubt, but believe there *will* be a time my commitment to better choices becomes the mainstay, even more pleasurable, and eventually giving in to silly carb cravings becomes less fulfilling.

We have to believe in ourselves , for if not, who will :confused:

kjay
05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
emily in nc: Did you ever hit the nail on the head with your message, ie, it really resonated with me, as I have the very same problem with losing weight. I, too, lost weight with five hours of cycling, but that's a tough thing to do every day, isn't it.

The other time I successfully lost weight in the past few years was to eat mostly protein and veggies, but I forgot which plan I was following (I believe it was the book written by the personal trainer who was on the TV program "Extreme Makeover"). One example of breakfast on this plan was one or two egg whites. Yes, I lost, but it was very difficult to maintain energy with such a small amount of food.

Anyway, I just wanted to respond to your message because your experience and mine are so very similar.