PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter alternative

Veronica
08-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I just found out one of my students this year is allergic to peanut butter - one of my staple foods.

So I need to find something else to eat on my apples in the morning to satisfy the tapeworm.

Any suggestions on easy to carry on a bike foods, that I can eat in my classroom? They need to be healthy and filling. That's what I liked about apples and peanut butter. :(

V.

Kalidurga
08-31-2006, 06:24 PM
I haven't tried any of them so I can't make a specific recommendation, but there are a lot of different "butters" out there these days. Organic markets are your best bet, but even the regular grocery stores have things like almond butter, etc.

So I'm not the only wacky person out there who likes apples with peanut butter!

Veronica
08-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I wondered if you are allegeric to peanuts are you also allergic to almonds?

V.

Bikingmomof3
08-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I am not an expert, but from my experience when I taught and a student had a peanut allergy, it usually included all nuts. :(

I love peanut butter and apples. What about somethinng like a Lara bar?

Veronica
08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
I can't do Lara bars anymore. One made Thom REALLY ill. Having lived through that... no. :D

I was thinking about cheese. It will have to sit in my room unrefrigerated for a couple of hours, but I should think a hard cheese would be okay.

Maybe some kind of sandwich.

V.

Kalidurga
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Fig Newtons...?

Veronica
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Really funny Jennifer - I have your tagline on the front door to my class and mine on the back door. :)

V.

Veronica
08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Fig Newtons...?

Good idea! Maybe the non fig ones. I've never been a big fig fan. But the apple ones might be good.

Did I mention I'm kind of a picky eater? :D

But please keep throwing ideas out. I don't want to kill the kid and I will be awfully grumpy if I don't eat.

V.

Bikingmomof3
08-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I was thinking about cheese. It will have to sit in my room unrefrigerated for a couple of hours, but I should think a hard cheese would be okay.

Maybe some kind of sandwich.

V.

What about a cheese sandwich? They are nutritious and delicious and hard cheese will be fine on the desk. I am making myself hungry thinking of good whole wheat bread with a thick, tough crust and cheese. Yum!

SouthernBelle
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Hummus!!!

Love ma hummus.

Make ma own.

Good stuff. :D

snapdragen
08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Apple Newtons are really good V - like little apple pies.

Maybe you could check with your student's mom and find out if the allergy is to all nuts. Almond butter is as good as peanut butter.

Any fresh vegetable, carrots, celery, broccoli, etc. Bring a little container of dressing or something to dip them in.

If you could find a small insulated bag, you could keep cheese in it. I've got one the size of a small brown lunch bag.

If you can stand the cheese there are Handi Snacks (http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/brandlist.aspx?SiteId=1&CatalogType=1&BrandKey=handisnacks&BrandLink=/handisnacks/&BrandId=39&PageNo=1)

maillotpois
08-31-2006, 07:18 PM

V.

Gruyere!!

chickwhorips
08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
i did a websearch for substitute peanut butter and found this: SunButter (http://www.sunbutter.com/). its made for people with nut allergies. made with sunflower seeds instead of peanuts.

SadieKate
08-31-2006, 08:26 PM
The individually packaged string cheese works well. LL Bean used to have small insulated bags also. I know how much you like to shop at LLB and this could be your excuse for other things just slipping into the box.

Laughing Cow cheese on celery is yummy.

donnambr
09-01-2006, 01:15 AM
I agree that you should ask mom about tree nuts. With peanuts being legumes, there are many people who can have tree nuts and this kid may be one of them. My 2 favorites are almond and cashew butter. Yum!

makbike
09-01-2006, 03:04 AM
What about fresh honey on the apple slices? Very tasty and fulfills the sweet tooth.

Geonz
09-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Another vote for hummus :-) There are all sorts of flavors... I love it on crackers with cheese. However, I'd want to make sure it didn't trigger the kid's allergies, too.

Tiffanie
09-01-2006, 08:22 AM
If you can do alternate nut butters, I've had sunflower, almond and cashew nut butters. All of them very yummy and a nice alternative to pb.

Give 'em a try! :D

RoadRaven
09-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm with Tiffanie - cashew nut butter... you can make it yourself and it tatstes great with apple

*drools*

SadieKate
09-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Veronica, you need to check on the tree nut vs legume thing. Not always a given. Also, apparently, contact with peanut residue can be a problem but most reactions are from actual ingestion. You may want to be sure you keep handwipes in the room. I suspect your school nurse (if you have one) can give you some guidelines and tips for dealing with this. It can't be a first for the school.

http://www.cpnonline.org/CRS/CRS/pa_peanalle_hhg.htm

http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/peanut.html

snapdragen
09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Veronica, you need to check on the tree nut vs legume thing. Not always a given.

**Smacks hand to head** Duh! Peanuts are legumes! :p

bcipam
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Seems to be there are all sorts of "butters" not made with nuts. I know I have apple and pumpkin butters in my cupboard right now. Apple butter on apples maybe alittle weird but the pumpkin butter (which is like a spiced pumpkin pie) would work!

SadieKate
09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Veronica, are you looking for a snack with some protein? The apple/peanut butter combo sounds like you are. Maybe that will help us with substitution ideas.

Veronica
09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Veronica, are you looking for a snack with some protein? The apple/peanut butter combo sounds like you are. Maybe that will help us with substitution ideas.

Yep, that's what I need at 8:30 in the morning. :D

Good news, talked with last year's teachers - the allergy isn't so severe that it can't be in the room. It just means being more careful. I may go with some of the alternatives just to be sure.

V.

solveig
09-01-2006, 06:43 PM
A friend of mine introduced me to soynut butter last year, and I've become a big fan. The only brand I know of is IM Healthy, and I like the creamy stuff. Tastes a little different than PB, but very good I think, and it's advertised as being good for people with peanut allergies.

Crankin
09-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Just be careful when looking at the other nut butters. I have a peanut allergy and i have found that some of the almond and cashew butters are mixed with peanut oil!

pooks
09-03-2006, 08:35 AM
I didn't realize that some allergies were so bad the sufferer couldn't even be in the same room with them. I wondered if you were providing snacks to the entire class.

farrellcollie
09-03-2006, 08:00 PM
I also like soynut butter - made from soybeans - so should be safe for nut allergies. I also like hard boiled eggs with whole wheat bagels and cream cheese or labna

donnambr
09-03-2006, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine introduced me to soynut butter last year, and I've become a big fan. The only brand I know of is IM Healthy, and I like the creamy stuff. Tastes a little different than PB, but very good I think, and it's advertised as being good for people with peanut allergies.

Not if you're allergic to peanut butter. Soybeans are legumes just like peanuts and there's a good chance that if someone is allergic to one of them, they're also allergic to the other.

I wish peanuts had a different name that related them more to soybeans than tree nuts. It'd be easier to keep it all straight.

massbikebabe
09-04-2006, 06:53 AM
V;

My son has a nut allergy, but can eat peanuts. Walnuts, pistachios, thinks of that nature usually warrant a trip to the ER. He cannot eat but my daughter and I sneak Nutella. It's italian hazelnut, chocholate mix. yum

karen

CorsairMac
09-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm a little late getting to this V but you can buy sesame seed butter in jars just like PB and I've eaten that with apples in the past. Tasted fine to me. I've also made my own sunflower seed butter.

and yes: as a rule most ppl with peanut allergy have to be careful with all nuts and leguemes since peanuts are really a legume!

Corsair "I'm allergic to nuts also" Mac