PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel

kayakjw
02-29-2004, 06:36 AM
OK, I just keep remembering when I was a kid riding my fat wheel bike I could go no hands with no problem. Now I've got my new road bike only 200 miles on it and sometimes my front wheel feels wobbly to me. I know it isn't but I keep thinking, "I could never ride no hands on this bike."

Is this a normal feeling? Is it something I need to get used to because of the skinny tires?

Janet

fultzie
02-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Janet,
I got a new road bike in October '03, and still can't ride no-handed! I can cruise for a while on my fat-tire bike with no hands, but i can barely get out of the saddle to climb hills on my road bike. A lot of my roadie friends were the same way when they started riding. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the skinny tires, and finding your balance. I've finally gotten to the point where i can signal and drink from my H2O bottle without feeling like i'm going to crash! :p
good luck!
~Katherine

Adventure Girl
03-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by kayakjw
my new road bike only 200 miles on it

That's not very many miles. Give it some time. You'll probably feel more comfortable as you ride it more. To me, "new" always feels unfamiliar.

But I know what you mean by those skinny tires. I ride my mountain bike WAY more than my road bike. Those little skinny high-pressure tires on the roadie make me feel like I'm on ice skates.

pedalfaster
03-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Isn't it funny how something that was so easy in childhood comes so hard to adults? I think part of it is the lower center of gravity and the fact that one is just fearless as a kid (bones heal faster and mom and dad pay all the health bills heh!).

200 miles is pretty new. If you want to break yourself in gently try this: sit up and spin in an easy gear. Hold your bars gently on the flats near the stem. Keep pedaling and take one hand off the bars. When you are comfortable with that, take the other hand off. Keep pedaling! :)

kayakjw
03-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Thank you! I feel better that it's just me getting used to the bike/tires, etc. I have an appointment this week for a bike fit just to make sure that everything is in proper proportion to where it's supposed to be.